SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:58 AM
------------
Wielka Brytania, Anglia, Derbyshire
Joined Jan 2011
416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcheapo View Post
Because you could want to test your RTH mode even if GPS is not locked, and even on ground. Making sure throttle engages at correct levels, control surfaces moves properly etc...
If you don't want to lose your airplane when there is no GPS lock, you have several options:
1- Check what it is interfering with your GPS on ground, fix that.
2- Increase Mx HDOP allowed so lock can be set with more relaxed conditions.
3- Do not push the limits of your RC link.
4- Disable RTH on the OSD(set it to failsafe)

There is no magic here, still if you choose to fly to the edge of RC link you will lose your airplane.
Omg what are you saying?
Don't push rc limits? Disable rth? So what's the point of rvosd?
It happened in flight, far away so what i could do?
jsxx is offline Find More Posts by jsxx
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:00 AM
------------
Joined Jan 2011
416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by npre View Post
I don't understand. If you didn't have RVOSD and lost radio control, how would the result be different?
Yes i would just find plane 3 miles away, glue it back within few hours and fly again.... With rvosd last time I seen my plane was 12 miles away going crazy....
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:10 AM
United States, FL, Marco Island
Joined Jan 2007
661 Posts
So is what your looking for is radio failsafe to override RTH if GPS is lost. It could be set to a gentle circle.
picard10th is offline Find More Posts by picard10th
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:24 AM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
What I am saying is that you don't lose GPS lock unless there is a problem of interference on board or the GPS unit or cable are defective. This is not something that you realize on the very moment you lose RC link, but all over the flight.
On that case is better to come back and fix the issue, instead of pushing your luck.
Elcheapo is offline Find More Posts by Elcheapo
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:28 AM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by picard10th View Post
So is what your looking for is radio failsafe to override RTH if GPS is lost. It could be set to a gentle circle.
Most of the time it will do just that, because the autopilot logic will continue to hunt for home, but since home position is frozen(GPS stopped giving data) it goes on an endless circle.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:21 PM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,304 Posts
Quote:
Most of the time it will do just that, because the autopilot logic will continue to hunt for home, but since home position is frozen(GPS stopped giving data) it goes on an endless circle.
Alex,
Excuse me, I haven't flown with the RVOSD yet..
Are you saying that while airborne, if you loose GPS lock, you quickly go into the menus and change from RTH to Failsafe, just in case you loose RC radio contact? This item is available in the airborne menus?
iskess is online now Find More Posts by iskess
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:35 PM
------------
Joined Jan 2011
416 Posts
This is rubbish...
I was flying away and lost gps signal so decided to turn back home but when turning back my rc rx antennas were in different orientation so rvosd went into rth mode not knowing were is home... It started to circle and plane was blown away by slight wind, last time I seen it was 12 miles away.... Never found it. $800 gone. Big thanks to RVOSD 5!
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:40 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
No, I am saying that you don't lose GPS lock in flight unless there is interference on board, the GPS module is defective, or the GPS cable is damaged. Then you have to go back home and fix the issue. Or disable the autopilot for the next flight, you can't do that in flight.
I have quite few hours of FPV flights, never experienced GPS lock lost in flight, not even inside storm clouds or very high altitudes. If there is an interference on board you will notice it even before take off, the problems with GPS cables(connectors) or bad modules will be intermittent and the OSD will display the "GPS disconnected" advice. I think there is no reason to lose an airplane because of this, unless you ignore all common sense and dare beyond safety.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:47 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsxx View Post
This is rubbish...
I was flying away and lost gps signal so decided to turn back home but when turning back my rc rx antennas were in different orientation so rvosd went into rth mode not knowing were is home... It started to circle and plane was blown away by slight wind, last time I seen it was 12 miles away.... Never found it. $800 gone. Big thanks to RVOSD 5!
So, even with GPS signal lost, RVOSD autopilot did actually kept the airplane on a controlled circle, and you still wasn't able to get control back. I think there was also serious problems with your RC link then.
Also I would love to know what type of autopilot programming could had saved your plane with this three conditions together:
1-GPS lock lost.
2-RC link on the edge of distance budget, not able to get it back even with airplane circling above RC link lost position.
3-Winds taking the airplane away from home.
Last edited by Elcheapo; Sep 09, 2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:56 PM
Canada, AB, Jasper
Joined Feb 2007
474 Posts
Quote:
This is rubbish...
Post the video from the flight.
This way we all can see whats going on and maybe someone can help you find the problem.
zooman is offline Find More Posts by zooman
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:25 PM
------------
Joined Jan 2011
416 Posts
Quote:
So, even with GPS signal lost, RVOSD autopilot did actually kept the airplane on a controlled circle, and you still wasn't able to get control back. I think there was also serious problems with your RC link then.
Also I would love to know what type of autopilot programming could had saved your plane with this three conditions together:
1-GPS lock lost.
2-RC link on the edge of distance budget, not able to get it back even with airplane circling above RC link lost position.
heh. you know very well what im talking about ....

many people had problems with rvosd gps rx. bad cable or plugs... there was no interferance on board... i got gps lock quickly on ground.
It doesnt matter now alex.... my lost your gain by using cheap components..

anyway - most important !!! RVOSD should NOT allow RTH mode without GPS lock !
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:31 PM
------------
Joined Jan 2011
416 Posts
Quote:
1-GPS lock lost.

It wasnt controlled circle - just random turns - sometimes right sometimes left....

1. RTH should NOT engage without gps signal.

2. Plane wasnt circling above rc link lost position - as i said before it was just random turns and flying away ...

Im not saying that rvosd is bad. it works easy out of box.

But due to "programming" errors and poor quallity of gps ?sensor,cable,plug? it can be very danger and its more risk than safety future
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:35 PM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,304 Posts
Can someone confirm my latest understanding of the limitations of the Waypoints feature here...http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22680389
I'm trying to gain a full understanding of what the RVOSD can and can't do. The videos posted help, but they are not a tutorial so they don't explain how to actually use it.
iskess is online now Find More Posts by iskess
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:41 PM
Turkey, Istanbul
Joined Dec 2010
415 Posts
Hi,
Today I tried load new firmware to my RVOSD G5.
Something went wrong. Now my OSD dies start and writes the belows at main screen.
RVOSD
Version:5.03 Sensor:0.00

What could be done improperly? How can fix it .

Thanks
Firatp is offline Find More Posts by Firatp
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:41 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
Quote:
heh. you know very well what im talking about ....

many people had problems with rvosd gps rx. bad cable or plugs... there was no interferance on board... i got gps lock quickly on ground.
It doesnt matter now alex.... my lost your gain by using cheap components..

anyway - most important !!! RVOSD should NOT allow RTH mode without GPS lock !
Sorry, but there is no cheap connectors on RVOSD. They come from a very reputable connector maker. http://www.jst-mfg.com/index_e.php
However the connectors are fragile, not meant to be twisted around many times. We used it on RVOSD because is the standard connector used on the locosys GPS units.
I had thought to change them few times, but never did because didn't wanted to left old users without replacements for their cables and GPS modules. So kept them for the sake of compatibility.
I can not program RVOSD to send the airplane on a step dive to crash if there is a GPS failure. The odds are much better if it does what it does now. Gentle circle waiting for RC signal to come back.