SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:12 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,196 Posts
Just a quick note on CAD files. If you don't like them, then ignore this post.

If you are hunting for CAD versions (by which I mean DWG format) of plans on Outerzone, there is a page that lists them all out and links to them - http://www.outerzone.co.uk/advanced/...t_cad_file.asp - all bar one of these I think is by hogal. The list will get longer over time as I upload more of them, thanks to hogal's kind generosity.

It is clear that hogal has spent an enormous amount of time restoring and posting vintage plans both here, and on Outerzone. A search on Outerzone for plans with credit to hogal shows a total of 152 plans. But... not only has he done all that work, he has now also gone the extra mile and is making all of his posted vintage plans available in 3 different formats, including an original scan - in order to keep everybody happy.

I frankly cannot understand why there is any discussion about this. Unless it takes the form of a torrent of gratitude.
WMD is offline Find More Posts by WMD
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:21 AM
Ad eos qui nesciunt crepitus
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2012
1,263 Posts
Posting Plans

Here here !
Old_Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Old_Pilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Stealth Streams'
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:39 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,778 Posts
Couldn't agree more, Hogal's work and contribution to this thread is outstanding. I don't use CAD myself, but think that having the alternative versions available can only be a really good and positive thing in encouraging more building. And we should also remember that very many of the old plans, whilst full of "character" have inaccuracies in them, sometimes gross inaccuracies, either as originally drafted or due to the problems of copying over the years. I don't mind this, as I always carry out a series of checks before cutting wood, but it can be annoying.

Keep up the good work Al and Steve!
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:19 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,618 Posts
I too am in support of the CAD work done by Hogal. Although I haven't used any, my perception is that the original plan is a lovely thing and has much more character and attraction than the relatively sterile CAD version. But when it comes to building, I think I'd prefer to work from the CAD version where the straight lines are straight, and the wing panels etc are identical......
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:10 AM
Joined Dec 2012
1,263 Posts
The Swallow

All,

I'm going to try to build The Swallow, a 1940's 60" flying wing. After reviewing the plans, I noticed a "10 degree tip washout" reference......

My question is....is the washout accomplished by warping the wing (how ?), or by just building the trailing edge of the tip to "fake" the reduced angle of attack ?.......see plans.

I'm hoping for the latter.

One more thing......anyone know where the CG should be ?

Calm winds

O_P
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:40 AM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,209 Posts
As long as plans are available both in CAD and the original scan, everything's fine, that's my opinion.
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:16 AM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Pilot View Post
All,

I'm going to try to build The Swallow, a 1940's 60" flying wing. After reviewing the plans, I noticed a "10 degree tip washout" reference......

My question is....is the washout accomplished by warping the wing (how ?), or by just building the trailing edge of the tip to "fake" the reduced angle of attack ?.......see plans.

Calm winds

O_P
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1801
Aeromodeller July 1947
I don't see any cg on the plan.
Text says balance for flat glide.
Says washout by steaming.
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:39 AM
Joined Dec 2012
1,263 Posts
Swallow Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick.benjamin View Post
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1801
Aeromodeller July 1947
I don't see any cg on the plan.
Text says balance for flat glide.
Says washout by steaming.

That's going to be a challenge.......Probably have to rename the bird "Corkscrew" after I get done......maybe the answer is to cover her in Monokote......but that would be a sellout
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:06 AM
Old Timer
CARMICHAEL, CALIFORNIA USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln View Post
-
-Indoor Commercial Kit No.4 Lesson No. 4 Primary Model Airplane Cours Joe Ott
18 inch span as printed in April 1996 Airflow newsletter
My parents gave me the 4 step model airplane course for my birthday, 1938/9. The "Commercial" shown here is the same, but I am sure they were not Joe Ott kits. I'll try to locate my plan, I believe I still have it.
California Condor is online now Find More Posts by California Condor
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:34 AM
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Sep 2008
991 Posts
Quote:
All,

Calm winds

O_P
See where the tow hooks are? I'd start about an inch back from there. Lots of good info on flying wings forums here, sorry, don't have exact thread, just do a search. Also, 10 degree wasout seems a lot, but building it in by raising trailing edge at tips is best, double check angles!
1967250s is offline Find More Posts by 1967250s
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:52 AM
United Kingdom, Tonbridge
Joined Oct 2011
190 Posts
Quote:
All,

O_P
O/P

I would tackle it by building in the washout during construction. A tapering building jig from 0" at the centre line to the requisite 10 at the tip. Now at the tip the chord is about 4" so I make the amount of washout required to be about 0.7"; the article talks about 1" blocks which is substantially more. The washout is incorporated to prevent tip stalling so, although it all seems rather academic, I would then tend towards the higher figure. The most important thing, however, is to ensure an equal amount is built into both wings, you can then adjust the elevons for best performance.

Al
hogal is offline Find More Posts by hogal
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:01 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,220 Posts
I'd follow hogal's advice.

Although the structure is light enough to allow steaming, why go through the hassle when you can simply build in the washout and keep both tips more uniform.

Steaming also might run the risk of wrinkled tissue on the top where it is most noticed.

Just my 2 cents
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:36 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogal View Post
O/P

I would tackle it by building in the washout during construction. A tapering building jig from 0" at the centre line to the requisite 10 at the tip. Now at the tip the chord is about 4" so I make the amount of washout required to be about 0.7"; the article talks about 1" blocks which is substantially more. The washout is incorporated to prevent tip stalling so, although it all seems rather academic, I would then tend towards the higher figure. The most important thing, however, is to ensure an equal amount is built into both wings, you can then adjust the elevons for best performance.

Al
Sorry to disagree Al, but this being a tailless model the washout is not there to prevent tip stalling, it is there so that the model will have enough stability to fly! In other words, the washed-out wing tips are acting like a very short moment, high negative angle tailplane. As you say, it is important to get both wings equal and then fine pitch trim adjustments can be made by the adjustable elevons.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:10 PM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
2,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Just a quick note on CAD files. If you don't like them, then ignore this post.

If you are hunting for CAD versions (by which I mean DWG format) of plans on Outerzone, there is a page that lists them all out and links to them - http://www.outerzone.co.uk/advanced/...t_cad_file.asp - all bar one of these I think is by hogal. The list will get longer over time as I upload more of them, thanks to hogal's kind generosity.

It is clear that hogal has spent an enormous amount of time restoring and posting vintage plans both here, and on Outerzone. A search on Outerzone for plans with credit to hogal shows a total of 152 plans. But... not only has he done all that work, he has now also gone the extra mile and is making all of his posted vintage plans available in 3 different formats, including an original scan - in order to keep everybody happy.

I frankly cannot understand why there is any discussion about this. Unless it takes the form of a torrent of gratitude.
I also have a few in CAD format at www.starcadplans.net Just go to the CAD catagory.
starcad is offline Find More Posts by starcad
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:26 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,378 Posts
...-Indoor Commercial Kit No.4 Lesson No. 4 Primary Model Airplane Cours Joe Ott 18 inch span as printed in April 1996 Airflow newsletter

Sorry about the zip files for the indoor commercial, but when I shrink the plan with the software I have, it gets a lot coarser. So the same apology applies to the ridiculous size. One of these days I'll have to get the right software.[/QUOTE]

Cleaned up the Indoor Commercial from lincoln's earlier post and created a PDF.
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi