HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 26, 2010, 08:28 PM
Joined May 2009
661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slawsonb View Post
Do you know when the move is supposed to be complete?
last march. who knows when they'll actually complete the move.
Torrance is offline Find More Posts by Torrance
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2010, 09:57 PM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,196 Posts
Wow, I thought the red tape at my employer was bad.
Guidoracer is offline Find More Posts by Guidoracer
Old Aug 27, 2010, 07:29 AM
I once beat Colin McCabe
Southport, England
Joined Oct 2005
156 Posts
Hi guys,

We have just had a small delivery of spares from Thunder Tiger.

Any parts that have been pre ordered will go out today
Squidlips is offline Find More Posts by Squidlips
Old Aug 28, 2010, 12:20 AM
Joined May 2009
661 Posts
for those having steering damper problems may want to try these AE o-rings. they're silicone versions for the RC18 shocks which should be dimensionally the same as the SB5 steering dampers. i haven't tried it myself since i don't have any production versions of the SB5 steering dampers. the AE part number is 21332.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 04:58 AM
Who needs 4 wheels..
Australia, VIC, Menzies Creek
Joined Aug 2009
772 Posts
While waiting for this Bike to reach Australia I am going to buy running gear.
Can some please give me the dimension from ESC platform & underside of a low Profile steering servo (Fut BLS 551 was the servo I was thinking of).
*Hoping to be able to use a XERUN esc which has a height of 33mm or the stock XTREME esc which is 31mm

Thanks in advance, Peter
Roofas is offline Find More Posts by Roofas
Last edited by Roofas; Sep 03, 2010 at 08:43 PM. Reason: *added more info
Old Aug 31, 2010, 05:58 AM
Tirol
Joined Jul 2009
1,107 Posts
I have attached the BLS551 sheet below:
The THING is the Servohorn Axle is about 1,3mm further from the middle than with "normal" Servos.
As far as I recall Torrance designed the Steering bits&bobs with standard Servos in mind like the "in house" AceRC DS1015.

So you should check if the Steering dampers arent too short or the Servo horn doesnt touch the Fork Swingarms throughout the whole travel. Its a bit tight in "there".....

I for my part use the BLS551 (S9551) just with a different steering spring Assembly. Most of the team use low profile Servos (Graupner/JR) but also with different ways to steer the fork.
edi.winter is offline Find More Posts by edi.winter
Old Sep 03, 2010, 06:54 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edi.winter View Post
I have attached the BLS551 sheet below:
The THING is the Servohorn Axle is about 1,3mm further from the middle than with "normal" Servos.
As far as I recall Torrance designed the Steering bits&bobs with standard Servos in mind like the "in house" AceRC DS1015.

So you should check if the Steering dampers arent too short or the Servo horn doesnt touch the Fork Swingarms throughout the whole travel. Its a bit tight in "there".....

I for my part use the BLS551 (S9551) just with a different steering spring Assembly. Most of the team use low profile Servos (Graupner/JR) but also with different ways to steer the fork.
Do share....
Akura2 is offline Find More Posts by Akura2
Old Sep 04, 2010, 02:23 AM
Tirol
Joined Jul 2009
1,107 Posts
Most of us dont use the steering dampers provided. Then we mount the servo turned 180 so the axle is closer to the steering pivot. And then just use a two spring assembly like just like on any other bike. Its a bit tricky to set up because there isnt much room. You also need to find the right spring hardness.
The hardest tuning spring should work for most, the team uses harder (Fmax=20N) ones I got for them.

I tried the below steering worked quite well for me.
Last edited by edi.winter; Sep 04, 2010 at 02:29 AM.
Old Sep 08, 2010, 05:57 PM
Redlands, California
Joined Nov 2004
84 Posts
After a couple of tumbles, the screws that hold the rear of the body together that screw into the molded exhaust part pulled thru the body.

Here's a fix/mod that Torrance shared while running on Sunday.
brianlt29 is offline Find More Posts by brianlt29
Old Sep 08, 2010, 10:08 PM
Bruce
Palmdale, CA
Joined Sep 2005
2,783 Posts
This is definitely a needed mod!

Bruce
slawsonb is offline Find More Posts by slawsonb
Old Sep 09, 2010, 02:29 AM
Joined May 2009
661 Posts
i went ahead and added screws to the bottom as well (M2.5 button heads) and got rid of the side screws altogether.
Old Sep 09, 2010, 02:29 PM
Joined May 2009
661 Posts
it has been brought to my attention that the front brake kit doesn't come with any instructions. we prepared an instruction sheet for the brake kit before i left TT but i guess they didn't see it fit to include it in the package.

so anyway here's my feeble attempt at writing some instructions for it.

1. the first picture shows the brake caliper/servo assembly. the servo direction can be set either way but personally i prefer setting it counter-clockwise so that the brake cam pressure is appled towards the trailing edge of the brake disk rotation. in my opinion it should actuate more smoothly way. the gap between brake pad should be around 2.5mm initially. you can adjust more or less to your bike's needs. the servo horn has 3 brake cam sizes - i prefer to use the middle size cam.

2. the second picture shows the exploded view of the front fork assembly. if your bike is already built, you only need to remove the right fork leg to install the brakes. press the rotor pins all the way until it bottoms out.

3. the third picture shows how it should look when assembled. there is a small hole pre-drilled into the right fork leg. use this hole to zip tie the brake servo wire to the fork leg so that it won't rub against the tire. you can be creative as to how to secure the servo connector but for me i like to afix it to the lower suspension arm.

i hope this helps. let me know if you have any questions.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 03:07 PM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,821 Posts
Spektrum 3VC poor range

Hi, I have just bought a Spektrum 2.4 Module for my 3VC Futaba for my SB5, thing is it has very poor range unless I hold transmitter abover my head or get up some where high, I have tried another module and rx and its the same, are they all like this ? and what sort of range should I expect? maybe I should buy the Futaba one, anybody help?
Many thanks
Steve.
steve bisco is offline Find More Posts by steve bisco
Old Sep 15, 2010, 05:26 PM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,196 Posts
steve: Do you have the Rx arial poking out the tail or is it inside the bodywork? And which Spectrum Rx are you using?
Guidoracer is offline Find More Posts by Guidoracer
Old Sep 16, 2010, 01:47 AM
Tirol
Joined Jul 2009
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve bisco View Post
Hi, I have just bought a Spektrum 2.4 Module for my 3VC Futaba for my SB5, thing is it has very poor range unless I hold transmitter abover my head or get up some where high, I have tried another module and rx and its the same, are they all like this ? and what sort of range should I expect? maybe I should buy the Futaba one, anybody help?
Many thanks
Steve.
I dont think this is a TT SB5 specific problem. Must be your radio thats not good. I have a Futaba 3PKs and the reciever antenna has just about 2cm left after it ripped off and I dont have any glitches whatsoever.