Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:59 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Some good news that HK won't tell you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
I flew my Bixler 1.1 twice last week. Mixed results.

1. I lost communication at about 250 M which makes me nervous. This is a Rx-TX issue. I have the Tunigy 9X with their standard module. HK tells me that there are no other Rx's that will bind with this. So for now (unless someone knows better) I will have to stay close.

2. The wings came off on one flight (it was windy). I have a 4 sets of magnets, but this was not enought. I am going to use the screw holes, and try to create a sheer pin out of a bamboo skewer (perhaps split in half).

3. The other issue that I need to solve is cooling. My ESC is getting very hot. I do not really want to mount it on the outside. I want to cut air cooling intakes and exits to cool down the ESC.

Has anyone done this? Can you post pictures of your work so that I can learn from your experience. People have talked about spoon scoops. Any pictures appreciated.
1. What HK told you is not true. I have that exact same xmitter. I use the following receivers in 28 of my planes (21 6ch and 7 3ch). They all work perfectly.
3ch - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...eiver_3Ch.html
6ch - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_6Ch_V2.html

2. You might try this method (which I designed several years ago):
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=306

3. Use an external BEC. That will solve your problem:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...strSearch=sbec

Happy Flying.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:32 AM
The only R/C pilot in the city
Kazakhstan, West Kazakhstan Province, Aksay
Joined Sep 2012
310 Posts
NAV lights test video

Hi everybody!
I would like to share the last video I posted on YouTube.
Unfortunately I haven't time to make them all in time.

I made actually 3 flights at that day. First two were tests of APM 2.5 in different modes to collect some telemetry info. The last and short one was especially for taking video of Bixler with navigation lights from Hobby King. We stayed at field 30 minutes after sunset and... watch yourself.

NAV lights test on Bixler (3 min 40 sec)
Scorpio9999 is offline Find More Posts by Scorpio9999
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:45 AM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
1. What HK told you is not true. I have that exact same xmitter. I use the following receivers in 28 of my planes (21 6ch and 7 3ch). They all work perfectly.
3ch - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...eiver_3Ch.html
6ch - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_6Ch_V2.html

2. You might try this method (which I designed several years ago):
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=306

3. Use an external BEC. That will solve your problem:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...strSearch=sbec

Happy Flying.
AJ
AJ thanks.

HK told me of these two receivers. I should have said that there are no receivers with 2 diversity antenna.

What kind of range do you get with the stock receiver and Tx ? Perhaps my receiver is funky. I have 2 receivers and I am going to try to do a range check this weekend.

I used your method on my last plane. I wanted to try something that had no external hooks, but I guess that the magnets just don't cut it. I am going to try a bamboo "sheer pin".

External BEC. I have a Plush 30 amp ESC with a BEC. How do I wire it (or should I just get a different ESC ? Which one do you suggest ?

Thanks

Shimmy
Shimmy is offline Find More Posts by Shimmy
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:53 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
info

Quote:
AJ thanks.

HK told me of these two receivers. I should have said that there are no receivers with 2 diversity antenna.

1. What kind of range do you get with the stock receiver and Tx ? Perhaps my receiver is funky. I have 2 receivers and I am going to try to do a range check this weekend.

I used your method on my last plane. I wanted to try something that had no external hooks, but I guess that the magnets just don't cut it. I am going to try a bamboo "sheer pin".

2. External BEC. I have a Plush 30 amp ESC with a BEC.
3. How do I wire it
4. (or should I just get a different ESC ?
5. Which one do you suggest ?

Thanks

Shimmy
1. 200m+(as far as I can see - and then some)
2. You should get an external BEC then.
3. Use this wiring diagram (just put a dot in your system config):
http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/wiring.html
4. No. That is an excellent ESC.
5. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...strSearch=sbec

AJ
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:16 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
1. 200m+(as far as I can see - and then some)
2. You should get an external BEC then.
3. Use this wiring diagram (just put a dot in your system config):
http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/wiring.html
4. No. That is an excellent ESC.
5. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...strSearch=sbec

AJ
Wow. They are inexpensive and in stock. What more can you ask for.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:00 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,073 Posts
Quote:
The other issue that I need to solve is cooling. My ESC is getting very hot.
The old Red Bricks were good and ran cool but the new ones are a disaster. Use anything else.

Quote:
I want to cut air cooling intakes and exits to cool down the ESC.

Has anyone done this? Can you post pictures of your work so that I can learn from your experience. People have talked about spoon scoops. Any pictures appreciated.
Click on my name (left hand side of messages) to go to my Blog page, pictures there.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=379457
The out scoops were over the servo holes. Not sure what I'm going to do with the Bixler V1.1 replacement as there are no holes there - yet....
Mac50L is online now Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:43 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
What is everyone doing these days?

And... I saw 2500GENE's dog at a porm store. See pic below.
AJ
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:02 AM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Taking some vids back for your dog were you.
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:57 PM
Joined Nov 2011
18 Posts
Binding problem!

Hi everybody ! I recently bought an " orange rx415 ". I put it into binding mode,(orange LED flickers rapidly) but it will not bind with the Bixler tx or the Skysurfer 780 tx . Is there any particular "trick" required or are these units not compatable ? Do I have to buy a special DSM2 tx and if so , would an "OrangeRx T-SIX2.4GHz DSM2 6CH Programmable Transmitter " be suitable . Is there a cheaper model on the market? I only need 4 channels . Thank you ,Gerhard in Melbourne ( 807gt).
807gt is offline Find More Posts by 807gt
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:04 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 807gt View Post
I recently bought an " orange rx415 "..
Why? The correct HK 6Ch Rx is a dollar cheaper and will bind with your HK Tx.
Mac50L is online now Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:08 PM
United States, NY, Mastic
Joined Jan 2009
14 Posts
just a quick question- I already have a A2212/6 kv2200 outrunner -I just got my bixler 1.1 kit-will this motor work? it's rated at 28 amps max current and up to 1000 g payload
gman1185 is offline Find More Posts by gman1185
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:59 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1185 View Post
just a quick question- I already have a A2212/6 kv2200 outrunner -I just got my bixler 1.1 kit-will this motor work? it's rated at 28 amps max current and up to 1000 g payload
That motor will work fine. You will love the vertical performance.
AJ
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:46 PM
PA Team Pilot
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Apr 2011
575 Posts
Quick question.
My neighbor just purchased the Value hobby version of of the SS/Bix. Hes new to the hobby and wanted me to accompany him and maiden it. I have never flown one of these planes before myself.
I'm a 3D guy so I set up all the throws to full limit on the outermost horn hole. I thought the surface deflection was very small but launched the plane into 8-10kt wind and it was immediately overwhelmed. All surfaces were virtually inefective. 100' out and the X-wind component was pushing it away from my intended flightpath. I couldn't correct it ,I'm shocked the ailerons could even overcome the wind to keep it right side up,- I was full right stick and rudder cranked all in. Everything I did barely kept the wings level I let him know it wasn't going to make it around landed in the field way out there.

Discouraged, I returned to the pits, reset everything on the inner horn hole for max deflection, a 50% improvement. Launched again, slightly more control but unable to position the plane where I wanted it, barely enough to just eek out a super wide turn back into the wind before being blown off the field and over a roadway. Again full deflection just to achieve that. Landed safely way out again.

So is this typical of these planes in general with their docile behavior and small throws on a windy day? Or is it just crap servos installed in the RTF version. I see pictures of it flying inverted, I know its popular for FPV, and I imagine its a relaxing flier on a calm day, but on the Florida coast we don't get many calm days.
Anyone else had similar experiences.? Thanks for the help
kohersh is offline Find More Posts by kohersh
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:52 PM
Thread Crapper
Lynden, WA
Joined Nov 2000
2,845 Posts
maybe your servos didnt have enough power to hold the surface, have you heard of the term mechanical advantage?

Id also check the CG

Mine does loops and rolls, while loaded down with FPV gear.
JohnVH is offline Find More Posts by JohnVH
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:54 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohersh View Post
Quick question.
My neighbor just purchased the Value hobby version of of the SS/Bix. Hes new to the hobby and wanted me to accompany him and maiden it. I have never flown one of these planes before myself.
I'm a 3D guy so I set up all the throws to full limit on the outermost horn hole. I thought the surface deflection was very small but launched the plane into 8-10kt wind and it was immediately overwhelmed. All surfaces were virtually inefective. 100' out and the X-wind component was pushing it away from my intended flightpath. I couldn't correct it ,I'm shocked the ailerons could even overcome the wind to keep it right side up,- I was full right stick and rudder cranked all in. Everything I did barely kept the wings level I let him know it wasn't going to make it around landed in the field way out there.

Discouraged, I returned to the pits, reset everything on the inner horn hole for max deflection, a 50% improvement. Launched again, slightly more control but unable to position the plane where I wanted it, barely enough to just eek out a super wide turn back into the wind before being blown off the field and over a roadway. Again full deflection just to achieve that. Landed safely way out again.

So is this typical of these planes in general with their docile behavior and small throws on a windy day? Or is it just crap servos installed in the RTF version. I see pictures of it flying inverted, I know its popular for FPV, and I imagine its a relaxing flier on a calm day, but on the Florida coast we don't get many calm days.
Anyone else had similar experiences.? Thanks for the help
Once you let go of the model (or it takes off from the ground) it doesn't ever have to "fight the wind", only gusts. I suspect that the lack of response is due to the control hinges being quite stiff. If they were not flexed repeatedly to loosen them prior to connecting to the servos, you could expect to see much reduced and sluggish deflections.

Let us know what you find.

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted