SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by mcg, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 12:26 PM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
Now you go for twin EDF - 4 KW electrical power ... do you???
Harpye is offline Find More Posts by Harpye
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2012, 04:03 AM
Claus at Area 52
copenhagen Denmark
Joined May 2002
2,538 Posts
it had to come.
2 x 2900kv -6 S
A 1480 mm wing span.
and a noise that would scare a Stuka
Claus
clausxpf is offline Find More Posts by clausxpf
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:47 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
Introducing madness as a basic skill into this nice hobby

And I would like to introduce my little scared STUKA!!!!
Harpye is offline Find More Posts by Harpye
Old Feb 28, 2012, 05:57 PM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,006 Posts
My 2013 project after my B36 is done,,,,,,,, I hope this project does not take 4 years like my B36!!

DAG
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:08 AM
United States, OH, Cuyahoga Falls
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Really nice work DAG, should be another awesome project, good luck.

And the rest of you guys have some great stuff too, thanks for posting. I especially like that micro Stuka you made Harpye, really cool little plane.

Dean
roscoedude is offline Find More Posts by roscoedude
Old Mar 03, 2012, 05:52 PM
United States, OR, Wilsonville
Joined Jan 2012
8 Posts
Naza F450 ATF Kit

My kit finally arrived and I wanted to capture some basic geometries for later when I go to design my landing skids and gopro mount. Figured I better do this before I build it. Didn't spend too much time on it about 4 hours then I just had to get to building!! This is my 1st RC Quad and I can't wait to get it up and flying.

Seen some really impressive CAD skills here.
Rokk is offline Find More Posts by Rokk
Old Mar 09, 2012, 05:10 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,006 Posts
The finished design. I need to adjust a few ribs where the servos go. To date the most complete 3D I have done of one of my designs.

DAG
Old Mar 10, 2012, 05:09 AM
Crash proof pilot
Svizzera, TI, Bellinzona
Joined Oct 2005
380 Posts
Wonderful job DAG !! i'd like to be able to transform a simple skin to ribs and formers, like you !
Until now i'm only able to draw the external shape of an aircraft..
FlyDave is offline Find More Posts by FlyDave
Old Mar 10, 2012, 07:40 AM
Joined Feb 2012
4 Posts
FlyDave draw it the other way around... from the inside out....

Back in 96 when i went back to get certifed on AutoCAD I had people in the class drawing houses from the roof down... I asked them if they can build a house from the roof down.. The only way would be with a sky hook..

Draw it like you would build it... to your basic out lines and place all your ribs inside of them ...
But yes it takes alot of work and time to make a drawing like that and rendering to boot...

Just my 2 cents
terrie
Terrie B is offline Find More Posts by Terrie B
Old Mar 10, 2012, 07:42 AM
Joined Feb 2012
4 Posts
FlyDave draw it the other way around... from the inside out....

Back in 96 when i went back to get certifed on AutoCAD I had people in the class drawing houses from the roof down... I asked them if they can build a house from the roof down.. The only way would be with a sky hook..

Draw it like you would build it... to your basic out lines and place all your ribs inside of them ...
But yes DAG took alot of work and time to make a drawing like that and rendering to boot...
Great JOB DAG
Just my 2 cents
terrie
Terrie B is offline Find More Posts by Terrie B
Old Mar 10, 2012, 08:09 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyDave View Post
Wonderful job DAG !! i'd like to be able to transform a simple skin to ribs and formers, like you !
Until now i'm only able to draw the external shape of an aircraft..
Thanks,

Please skip to 1:30 of the vid, this shows how I test my designs to make sure everything will work.

I start with a ton of info. Then design the outline and build everything to fit to scale. I find that the hardest thing to do is get the scale proportions correct. So drawing the out-lines of all major parts is the first step. The fuse, nacelles, wings, and stabs have to have the out-lines just right or you won't have a scale bird. I then take the fuse and design in all the bulkheads and formers. Same with the wing design. It get the out-line right, then pic the correct airfoil and then design in all the spars. Once I have done all that in CAD, I then build the plane in 3D just like I would on my bench. If you were designing your own plane you might be able to design from the wheels up. But when you are re-creating a airframe that needs to be scale then I design from the outside in.

de Havilland Mosquito 151.5" RC plane (6 min 11 sec)

Just how it has worked for me.

Thanks, DAG
Old Mar 10, 2012, 11:50 AM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,632 Posts
Wow! subscribed to Vid!
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old Mar 10, 2012, 03:57 PM
Crash proof pilot
Svizzera, TI, Bellinzona
Joined Oct 2005
380 Posts
Thanks Terrie and DAG for your suggestions !! I never thought of doing the drawings in this way, effectively this is more logical than create the skin and extract the inner parts. I will try soon Your way !

Dave
FlyDave is offline Find More Posts by FlyDave
Old Mar 10, 2012, 04:26 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyDave View Post
Thanks Terrie and DAG for your suggestions !! I never thought of doing the drawings in this way, effectively this is more logical than create the skin and extract the inner parts. I will try soon Your way !

Dave
Keep in mind the skin method works great, Almost all of my designs start that way to get the scale shape. I then extract my parts out-lines to start my CAD parts. So I start with a 3D skin airframe, then draw in all my parts that I then extract my CAD parts from. My A7 started with a 3D skin model, then I drew in my parts.

A7-D Update langing gear fit test (2 min 10 sec)

Good luck!! DAG
Old Mar 15, 2012, 07:38 PM
skilful builders' admirer
Greece
Joined Dec 2010
127 Posts
the siren

Hey all,
I've been working on this jet for a long now and finally I'm satisfied with it. Tried to stretch my cad skills as much as I could. I wanted this one to be beautiful but also have the potential of being a good flyer. So let me present you the siren. Please tell me what you think.
Thanks.
Nikolas.

(Oh, in the zip file I have included a short animation. GOM player will open it.)
n1k0l4s is offline Find More Posts by n1k0l4s