HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 07, 2006, 05:08 PM
Croatia, Europe
Joined Aug 2006
334 Posts
Discussion
Switching from motor to electric, need advice

Hi all,

as I have less and less free time I decided to switch to electric.

I have never put much interest in electric flying so I need some clarification and advice.

Since it has been some time since my last flight i am thinking about buying 2 models.
Advanced trainer and Alphas Mig15 EDF.
I can crash the trainer to get back in shape but since Im on budget I want to use as much parts as I can on both planes.

I have the radio and a few leftover servos which are probably too heavy so I need a couple of 10-15g micros.

Now what else do I need?
2 motors, 1 for trainer in speed400+ category and 1 for EDF.
I need SPC (pls suggest) to be used in both planes if possible and 2 sets of LiPoly batt.

Since my old charger is NiMH only I need a new lipoly charger which can support my old radio NiMHs.
Do I need a balancer or just good enough charger?

For trainer i was thinking about some high wing monoplane (Cessna 182 of some sort) so I can finally use floats that has been lying arround for 2 years, thats why speed400+ is for.
For german speakers (http://www.der-schweighofer.at/web/p...64603&prodID=6)

Anything else??

Regards,
Wesp
Wespen is offline Find More Posts by Wespen
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2006, 06:12 PM
Practice more "crashing"
Chandler, AZ
Joined Apr 2006
46 Posts
well...advice im not really good at but the charger you would need is a MKII charger. This will charger nicad's,nimh's,and li-ion's,and lipo's. I dont use a balencer but i guess you could get one.
Hangup is offline Find More Posts by Hangup
Last edited by Hangup; Aug 07, 2006 at 06:17 PM.
Old Aug 07, 2006, 08:14 PM
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,252 Posts
First thing I tell anyone that is getting into electrics is to get a good charger. One that has readouts you can see, and can do nicads, nimhs and lipos. I prefer the Ice, but there are quite a few good ones. With the field charger shown above, if I am not mistaken you will be limited on amperage, not a good thing if you get some bigger batteries. A GWS E starter is a good way to go for a trainer, not very expensive, damn near indestructible(ask me how I know) and very easy to repair. Also it will fly decent with the stock set up. You can use the reccomended servos for this plane and it won't cost you an arm or a leg. You can also use one of their recievers. I have several of their single conversion recievers and they work great. good luck. Jim
Jimbo45cn is online now Find More Posts by Jimbo45cn
Old Aug 08, 2006, 11:54 AM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,373 Posts
> First thing I tell anyone that is getting into electrics is to get a good charger

I'd say the opposite, get a basic charger with a minimum of settings. Setting the charger to the wrong type of battery or wrong number of cells is the most common cause of lipo fires.

OTOH it is importatant that it'll do a large enough current but if you've already got a NiMH charger you don't need another one.

You'll probably end up with multiple chargers after a while so you can charge multiple batteries at the same time.

> Do I need a balancer or just good enough charger?

A good charger won't replace a balancer but if you've got some way of measuring the voltage of the cells in your packs you can put off buying the balancer until you find one of your batteries is out of balance - and it may well take a year or two. Even then you can manually correct an out of balance battery by charging each cell individually, the balancer is just a handy way to do it automatically.
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old Aug 08, 2006, 01:24 PM
USA, MO, St Charles
Joined Nov 2005
985 Posts
+2 on the good charger. Get a computer charger. It's very important to know how many miliamps your battery is taking. I had a the hobbico Field charger and switched to an ICE. I found that 3 of 4 batteries I was using were taking less that 50% of their rated current the day I got my ICE.

I hope I don't get flamed for saying this, you really don't have to worry as much about the hazzards of Lipos on a computer charger. If you were to run them.
patrick181 is offline Find More Posts by patrick181
Old Aug 09, 2006, 08:27 PM
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,252 Posts
A good charger is one that is not easily set wrong and has the readout to show you. A charger with just buttons to push or knobs to turn can get you into trouble much quicker. Jim
Jimbo45cn is online now Find More Posts by Jimbo45cn
Old Aug 09, 2006, 09:16 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,909 Posts
Wesp,
Purchase a Lipo only charger! Use your old charger for other battery types.
Use a Balancer on your Lipos.
Fly gently for the first few flights on a new Lipo.
Get a temp gauge and a Watt meter and use them.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Aug 09, 2006, 09:56 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,734 Posts
Wesp

Perhaps an SR Cutie or Acro Pro? Maybe a Phasor 15/4- 3 cell 3000 mAH pack, Castle Creations Phoenix 35. Super Snazzy lipoly chargers are not mandatory- but I agree with the notion of buying dedicated li-poly stuff. I have an old Apache 1500- seems to do fine.

Wouldn't bother buying batteries that would work in both airplanes- by the time you're ready for the EDF, the prices will have fallen some more.

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Aug 10, 2006, 01:47 PM
Croatia, Europe
Joined Aug 2006
334 Posts
Yup,

will take Castle Creations Phoenix but 25A model, and some 3c 2000 mAh 20C lipos.
ICE charger if I can squeeze it in my budget (saw some on ebay for 70 $).

I decided to take Ultraflys PC9 foamie (http://www.ultraflymodel.com/airplanes/ufla1050.html) with brushless motor combo so I will only need 25/25 26 MK2 for the Mig.

It will give me 10+ min on Mig with 2000 mAh and 15+ on PC9 (8A draw in motor spec)

Will see how this goes.

Wesp
Wespen is offline Find More Posts by Wespen