HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2014, 04:19 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,309 Posts
Dude..cut that out.
I watched the crash in the video a hundred times and I can't figure it out.
The sound that the blades made just as it went inverted is key I think.
Sounded like they went severely out of track.
Have you figured it out?
And yes I have seen blades split the skins off like that.
Fly into a tree and they look just like that...just substitute tree bark for the dirt on them and yup, they look just like that.
A VIKING is offline Find More Posts by A VIKING
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2014, 06:53 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A VIKING View Post
Dude..cut that out.
I watched the crash in the video a hundred times and I can't figure it out.
The sound that the blades made just as it went inverted is key I think.
Sounded like they went severely out of track.
Have you figured it out?
And yes I have seen blades split the skins off like that.
Fly into a tree and they look just like that...just substitute tree bark for the dirt on them and yup, they look just like that.

I'm pretty sure one of the pitch linkages broke where the rod is machined narrower for the threaded tip. I don't think it is much of something i could have even checked for. Honestly i used to think these were about the beefiest and strongest pitch rods around. But now I am beginning to wonder if the fatter rod and narrower tips actually creates a stress point that makes these weaker than if it were just a straight uniform diameter. Think about it, if you were to support the rod on both sides and press down in the center of the rod. If it were all the same diameter then that side force would get distributed equally along the rod as it flexed. But with this design having narrower tips and not a whole lot of taper. All of that force would be exerted right at the bottom of the thinner diameter section.

Another indicator that it was the pitch linkage breaking was how the cyclic and pitch went completely dead. I threw the cyclic both directions before i cut the throttle and just let it fall. It didn't move. The servo gears, horns, linkages, and tips didn't appear to receive any damage at all which would be conducive of a pitch linkage failure, IMO. Furthermore, there was a single plastic linkage tip attached to one of the blade grips with a broken piece of linkage rod inside of it which i show in the video.

After my last incident with a broken servo bolt I replaced all the servo horn bolts, all the servo rods and linkages, i replaced the main gear and re-packed my bearings. I installed a brand new set of 710mm blades and the heli flew great for like a week..... At least this one didn't cost me more than about $150 or so. I actually flew 3 flights on the X7 today and the tail is pretty obviously still bent, but for some strange reason the TT isn't vibrating at all. I'm still going to replace it, probably tonight or tomorrow. It just looks too funny

What i meant about the blades splitting was how a piece of CF split and went flying from the center of the blade while the tip stayed plied together. Also, typically there is a safety wire that holds the blades together to help prevent that kind of spatter. It kept the whole blade from splitting apart at the root. But the section that split away wasn't glued to the safety wire at all, it looked like. Only one side has the wire attached/glued from the looks of things.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Jul 16, 2014 at 10:42 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:47 PM
want to fly the big one please
United States, CA, Covina
Joined Feb 2013
2,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
hadn't seen this one yet.
pretty cool! I think the music had you flying harder, and it looked more like a show
maybe u should fly to music more often

love the heli mysteries btw, keeps one on his toes don't u think?
psychlic is offline Find More Posts by psychlic
Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:08 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychlic View Post
hadn't seen this one yet.
pretty cool! I think the music had you flying harder, and it looked more like a show
maybe u should fly to music more often

love the heli mysteries btw, keeps one on his toes don't u think?
Yeah, i haven't been flying that hard lately because frankly these issues have had me taking it easier on this heli. I'm really hoping I can go a good while after i change this tail boom and put some new blades on it without having a problem. When i fixed it the last time i probably should have changed the pitch linkages out too. Hell, the linkage might have only been partially separated until the crash or something. Who knows. I just know something crazy happened to the rotor to make that noise and the cyclic had no response.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:35 PM
Joined Feb 2013
2,632 Posts
BTW, forgot to add this, but, I do agree with your theory on the the straight rod versus a machined rod with various thicknesses, having the thinnest portion on the ends. That does create a weak point instead of a more even spread of load as u stated imo
Old Jul 17, 2014, 09:48 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychlic View Post
BTW, forgot to add this, but, I do agree with your theory on the the straight rod versus a machined rod with various thicknesses, having the thinnest portion on the ends. That does create a weak point instead of a more even spread of load as u stated imo
Unfortunately if I'm right there isn't much i can do about it. But there is a better rotor head available for this heli which i have been planning on getting for a while now. It's just expensive as hell. I could buy an X3 basic kit for how much it costs. But It has proper FBL phase arms so it should be more precise and eliminate this possible linkage damage in a crash. The damage to the swash follower should be more obvious.

A guy at my club brought something to my attention this morning which I had forgotten. The first flight of the day on the day of this crash... Well i didn't even think about it till he said something. But i did have a light blade strike after a heavy auto rotation landing on a flight i didn't record. The blade struck the tarmac but it caused the heli to level out immidiately and there was no physical damage i could find other than, guess what??? a single pitch linkage popped off the blade grip side and was caught in the swash driver fork. If the fork had enough force to side load the middle of the linkage it probably did the damage to the linkage tip that caused this crash.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:38 AM
Joined Feb 2013
2,632 Posts
Maybe u could even get some titanium pitch links.
would be a cheaper solution maybe than a new rotor
You would almost certainly never have to replace them again
I bought some Extreme titanium turnbuckle pitch linkage for on $15 and those suckers will support an automobile they are so strong, and very light.

maybe the AR blade tap also weakened the blade causing it to split too like you were noticing.
Last edited by psychlic; Jul 17, 2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 07:19 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,148 Posts
Well I put some Rail 716mm blades on order. But for now, I just replaced the tail boom and installed my "backup" set of 690mm KDS blades. It flew nice today and I finally rounded off 500 flights on this heli. Hopefully I can get another 300-400 without much issue with all the replaced parts recently.

Gaui X7 - Flight 499 (3 min 46 sec)

Gaui X7 - Flight 500 (3 min 38 sec)
Old Jul 19, 2014, 07:24 PM
I win again!! - mother gravity
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
1,731 Posts
congrats on flight 500, bud!! looking forward to getting mine to that age someday (i don't own a gaui)
Flying Pitcher is offline Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher
Old Jul 20, 2014, 06:29 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,309 Posts
Nice flying Integrity...smooth and controlled.
You should have no trouble doubling getting another 3-4 hundred more out of it.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 01:51 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,148 Posts
Gaui X7 - Flight 509 - Rail 716mm Blades (3 min 44 sec)

Gaui X7 - Flight 510 - Rail 716mm Blades (3 min 47 sec)
Old Aug 02, 2014, 05:03 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
1,880 Posts
Sakkarin CD Konthon HM2014 ADV Class freey style /自由飛 (3 min 25 sec)
TheKingPhisher is offline Find More Posts by TheKingPhisher
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 02, 2014, 09:23 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPhisher View Post
God Damn! That is amazing for 9 years old. I mean blades edge aileron tic tocs while tic tocing the tail 3 feet off the ground is completely insane.
Old Aug 02, 2014, 10:24 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,309 Posts
That was an awesome flight!
Dam kids.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 01:57 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,148 Posts