HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2013, 05:15 PM
United Kingdom, England, Keighley
Joined Nov 2012
294 Posts
Discussion
Backpack glider

Evening guys and girls,

I wonder if you might be kind enough to give me some suggestions? After the theft of my Champ I'm on the look out for a new glider.

The Champ filled a 'portable' hole but alas she's gone. I'm hoping to find a glider similar to my first - a Nine eagles Sky surfer. At 780mm wingspan, the surfer would fit into a backpack with the wings detached. Then I was free to hike to some lovely remote spots and go soaring.

So I'm hoping to find something:
Small - 1m or under wingspan with detachable wings so she'll go into a backpack.
ARF is ideal. I don't want something too complicated to build and I have a decent transmitter.
Preferably foam
Proper electronics - i.e no all in one brick like my sky surfer which can't be economically replaced.
And lastly capable of flights longer than a couple of mins ( the surfer took a 250mah battery which gave 3 climbs to a decent height then gave out on you)

I'm in the UK, so something with outstanding support stateside isn't much benefit (Champ - try finding parts in your local hobby shop over here).

I've been looking a while, but would really appreciate advice from some of you guys.

Thanks so much!
Stu L is offline Find More Posts by Stu L
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2013, 09:48 PM
Australia, NSW, Hornsby
Joined Jul 2005
854 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=892778
_AL_ is offline Find More Posts by _AL_
Old Jun 04, 2013, 08:37 AM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,094 Posts
Multiplex Merlin. Small and fast.
http://www.rcmodelcentre.co.uk/Multi...prod_2091.html
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
Old Aug 16, 2014, 04:12 AM
United Kingdom, England, Keighley
Joined Nov 2012
294 Posts
Still thinking on about this idea. I'd love to have something I can take anywhere.
Let's expand to pure gliders too as I have a baby histart I can take
Stu L is offline Find More Posts by Stu L
Old Aug 20, 2014, 07:58 AM
Stockport, UK
Joined Sep 2001
458 Posts
Mpx Panda

How about the Mpx Panda. Very packable, and a very nice little soarer for the money. Better value than the Merlin (I have both IMHO). Carry out Ben D Wings aileron mod and you can have the best of both.

Cheers

Ian
Ian Dale is offline Find More Posts by Ian Dale
Old Aug 28, 2014, 05:11 PM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,094 Posts
I put the Panda in the bag on my home build electric bike. It will fit in a back pack too.
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu