HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 08, 2013, 03:41 PM
Joined Oct 2012
11 Posts
Help!
FDR-pro with OSD and Seagull

Hi, I am using a FDR pro with a Seagull 2.4ghz and also a OSD pro - see attached schematic.

The Seagull TX keeps dropping out during use - lasting between 3 and 7 mins. If I unplug it from either the OSD or FDR (have tried both) and plug it straight back in it almost always starts transmitting again (though generally for a shorter period).

The FDR is powered by a 3 cell lipo using a 5v regulator so power shouldn't be a problem and a multimeter shows a constant 5v as does the seagull when working. Is there something wrong in my setup?

Also I am using an OSD-pro with the FDR and whilst the top and bottom fields work fine the Altitude and Airspeed tapes will not function, would I need to swap to a E-logger system with additional airspeed and altitude sensors for this to work or again is it a setup issue?

Are there any plans to intergrate the FDR with Guardian in the future?

Thanks for the help.

Paul :-)
Bumblebee2 is offline Find More Posts by Bumblebee2
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2013, 07:50 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,935 Posts
Hi, could you please try the following procedure:

1) Make sure you are running our latest release software 10.44 (version displayed under "help, about" in the PC software). This version is downloadable from the support page on our website.

2) If the problem persists, please click "Advanced, Custom Hardware Options" and click the button labeled "I am using the 2.4Ghz Seagull with the OSD expander, and follow the instructions"

3) If the problem persists after that, please let me know.

Re your other question, can you let me know what you mean by "the Altitude and Airspeed tapes"?

No, unfortunately we will not be supporting the Guardian with the FDR. Sorry about that!
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 16, 2013, 03:04 PM
Joined Oct 2012
11 Posts
Hi Bill,

Thanks for your reply, have downloaded 10.44 and now seems to be working ok - i'll keep running over the next few days and let you know any problems.

As for the "tapes" I was refering to the airspeed and altitude displays down the side of what would be the attitude display.

I understand that as the settup doesn't support guardian, I cannot have the OSD display an artificial horizon but does that also mean zeros displayed with altitude and speed?

I hope i've explained this correctly, will try and attach a picture!

Thanks again for the help.

Old Apr 16, 2013, 03:07 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,935 Posts
Hi Paul,

Oh, I understand now. I call those "ladders" but tapes makes just as much sense!

I think you just need to go to the "Sensors and Units" menu and the OSD, and set "Use Baro Alt...." and "Use Pitot Speed...." both to yes. That will tell the system to use the pressure sensors rather than the GPS data for those parameters.

Note that only a) stabilization, and b) AHI display will be missing without the Guardian.
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 17, 2013, 06:38 AM
Joined Oct 2012
11 Posts
Hi Bill,

Have got the ladders/tapes working ok thankyou.

The Seagull is working fine when connected directly to the FDR however only appears to transmit for around 60secs when the OSD is included in the setup. I have checked the advanced setup to ensure the 2.4Ghz Seagull box is checked and re-uploaded the firmware but to no avail.

Also I get continuous warning from the OSD about out of date firmware but am unable to successfully update it (see attached screen shot). Have been wondering if this may be causing the problem?!

Old Apr 17, 2013, 02:58 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,935 Posts
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the update and good news on the ladders! Sorry the other problem is persisting.

Re the Seagull + FDR issue, and the firmware update problem, our latest "alpha" software here should address the firmware update issue you are seeing, and may hence address the Seagull issue. Please try this if convenient and we'll proceed from there.
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 18, 2013, 06:14 PM
Joined Oct 2012
11 Posts
Thanks Bill,

The "alpha" update has fixed the OSD firmware issue :-) but dropout from the seagull is still persisting.

When connected directly to the FDR (no OSD) the signal is fine and connection between the Tx and dashboard has remained for several hours however once the OSD is connected between the units the connection is always dropped. Occasionally the seagull will work for up to 25mins but most of the time it drops out within 5 and normally within 60 seconds.

I've noticed a voltage drop as soon as the OSD is connected even when powered through a USB supply connected to a laptop. Without OSD the RxV remains steady @ 5.09V however once the OSD is connected this drops below 5 and fluctuates around the 4.95v mark. Is this normal?

Any suggestions?
Old Apr 19, 2013, 12:19 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,935 Posts
Hi Paul,

Regarding the signal loss, could I ask you to try one more thing, to help narrow it down? Could you try the test without the GPS connected?
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 21, 2013, 05:02 AM
Joined Oct 2012
11 Posts
Hi Bill,

Yep it's the GPS! Without it connected everything works fine, reconnect and the signal drops out within a minute.

Is this something I've done wrong in the setup?
Old Apr 23, 2013, 03:55 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,935 Posts
Hi Paul, thanks for trying this test. That's very helpful.

We did have this exact problem a couple of years ago, but fixed it with a recorder firmware change. Why it is happening with your setup is an unknown at the moment. I've asked our technician to attempt to reproduce it with the firmware you are using. Thanks again for your patience with this issue!
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 26, 2013, 08:04 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,935 Posts
Hi Paul,

I wanted to update you on this. We have been able to reproduce the issue here. We contacted the manufacturer of the radio modules, and they sent us new firmware to try today, which apparently has fixed a similar issue. We'll be trying that here on Monday.
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 27, 2013, 05:00 PM
Joined Oct 2012
11 Posts
Hi Bill,

Thank you for the update :-)

I look forward to hearing from you!

Paul
Old May 08, 2013, 03:55 PM
Joined Oct 2012
11 Posts
Hi Bill,

Any luck with the firmware update?

Old May 09, 2013, 03:35 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,935 Posts
Hi Paul,

Sorry for the delay. We tried the updated module firmware yesterday (after going back and forth with them about an update failure problem) and found that it did not affect the issue. We are trying a modification to our own firmware now, to see if that addresses it. Our best assumption right now is that there are slight manufacturing differences with these modules, as this problem seems to not happen for a year or two at a time.

I feel bad that this is wasting your time, though. If you'd like to make other arrangements, we'll work something out for you (just open a ticket with us at http://ticket.eagletreesystems.com). We'll keep at it until we get it sorted, though.
Site Sponsor