HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 12, 2013, 04:11 PM
Canada, AB, Medicine Hat
Joined Sep 2010
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microrcfiend View Post
Thank you minhb.

I was talking to a very talented photographer friend and it turns out he's quite deep into these panos at the moment and waiting for his D800 to arrive, hasn't cubed stuff but does view them in a spherical viewer. He also talked about a 180 degree lens but i'm unsure if he has the lens on order also.

Should I request them at exactly 16384 x 4096 pixels is larger preferred if he can provide?
I don't think this is going to be easy for me but the skillset to make some flying sites of the quality you posted above is quite desirable for me. I flew around them both for the last couple hours and i'm real impressed, I just love that water for dipping skids in. How tricky is water past defining the water level and intensity and should I leave it out of my first attempt and go for a field?

If you know of any tutorial apart from the German youtube vids i'd appreciate anything at the moment.
Sorry , I have made mistake on the size of the equirectangular panorama ( 360 x 180 degree ) , the width should be twice the height . If the width is 16384 pixels then the height should be 8192 pixels ( not 4096 pixels as I have quoted before )

I think your first attempt should be with the field .

Because Phoenix creator involves a lot of different software programs to build a scenery , so in fact , there can not be just one simple tutorial for it but lots of separate ones .

I will help if you have questions .
minhb is offline Find More Posts by minhb
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2013, 09:07 AM
United Kingdom, England, Sheffield
Joined Jun 2012
1,615 Posts
Ok, default size is changed, no problem.

Will start with a plain area first but is it ok if ground is not level, like a field on a slope?

I will be back with questions after I get my hands on the started pics. Appreciate your input dude, much thanks
microrcfiend is offline Find More Posts by microrcfiend
Old Apr 18, 2013, 02:05 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,615 Posts
Ok I have the cubes and have tried every way I could think off to enter into the creator but it just stares at me with a single cube face loaded on screen.

I have tried naming them sequentially in the order you stated before.

test_1.bmp (front)
test_2.bmp (right)
test_3.bmp (back)
test_4.bmp (left)
test_5.bmp (top)
test_6.bmp (bottom)

How should they be named and entered into the creator? The official .pdf is beyond useless here. Why they don't have any tutorial vids for the basics is beyond me and not covering the steps needed in the pdf shows that Phoenix don't care.

No wonder so few people have created sites

Back to the sim. I notice some sites have seamless skies and others not so. What steps can I take to avoid the pinpoint in the sky like in the harbor site that isn't in your other one. I also noticed a vertical stitch line in the other one. I was fine till I saw it and now it stick out every pass. There's no shadow on the deck from the heli either but there is over water. Are these just quirks we have to deal with or can they be ironed out? Just trying to find what the limitations are here as stock levels look and perform great, will i get this kind of performance from the creator?

Would I be best putting them in Photoshop and editing first, whats the procedure for seamless skies?
Last edited by microrcfiend; Apr 18, 2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 12:34 PM
Canada, AB, Medicine Hat
Joined Sep 2010
22 Posts
Hi microrcfiend ,
It's all about trial and error . My suggestion is that we make a " very simple flyable flying site " out of your cube faces first and then we can always comeback to edit what we do not like later .

1- By default , Phoenix creator creates a folder name " phoenixRC " in your documents folder . ( you need to find it to know where it is and what is in it .)
2- make a new folder and name it " test " on your desktop and put all your 6 cube faces in it . ( look like you name them correctly )
3- drop the folder " test " you have just created into : documents / phoenixRC / flying sites .
4- load phoenix creator , click on " file / new / flying site " . you will see a black screen appears because no image is loaded into it yet .
5- click on " auto " and a search window will appear . ( you have to browse it to find the folder name " test " which has your cube faces in it .)
6- found it ? open it and select all 6 cube faces at once . ( click and hold left mouse button and drag over all 6 cube face files until they are all highlighted in blue . it means that they are all selected .)
click " select " on the search window and wait for the 6 cube faces to load into phoenix creator .
7- you can look around the flying site by holding right mouse button while moving the mouse cursor arrows around .
8- click on the button " collision " and then " plane " and then click on the ground of the scenery . ( a green ground plane will appear on the monitor screen , covers the ground of the scene and a little window also appears asking to name the ground plane )
9- on the little window , type what ever name as you wish for the ground plane , choose concrete for the material and hit enter on the keyboard .
10 - click on " positions " and then click on " new " and then click on the ground where you want to point out your air plane starting position . ( in front of you maybe )
11- on the task bar at the top , you will see three little boxes which reads : " new position " ( with tiny down arrow next to it ) . the box next to it also reads : " new position " ( but without the tiny down arrow ) . the box further most to the right reads : " all " ( with tiny down arrow next to it )
12 - click on the arrow on the box on the right and select " fixed wing " . and on the box on the left next to it type " default 1 " . ( without the quotation marks and has to have space between default and 1 ) . hit enter on the keyboard . ( hit space bar again to go back to perspective view if during typing default 1 you have to hit space bar to separate the word default and 1 and eventually it turns to top down view mode . That is because phoenix creator assigns space bar key of the key board to switch between top down and perspective views . )
13 - repeat step # 10 . click on " positions " and then click on " new " and then click on the ground of the scenery to make a " spot " for it .
this time click on the arrow on the box on the right to select " helper " and type " spot " on the box next to it on the left and hit enter on the keyboard .
14 - again , repeat step #10 . click on " positions " and then " new " and then click on the ground to make " windsock " position .
select " helper " on the box on the right and type " windsock " on the box next to it on the left . hit enter on the keyboard .
15- we are almost there ! now we are saving files .
select " file " and " save " and a widow will appear , type a name for it . ( maybe name it " test " ) and click save . ( if you name it " test " then a file name " test.pxq " will be created and store in : documents / phoenixRC / projects . and this is the file we will open to edit it in phoenix creator to improve the " test " flying site later .)
16- click " file " and then select " export " , a window will appear for you to type names to create " test " flying site for phoenixRC simulator .
type a file name ( maybe " test " ) and type a flying site name ( maybe also " test " ) and click " export " .
wait for phoenix creator to export the flying site . close phoenix creator , if it ask to save it then just click yes .
17 - Load phoenixrc simulator and the " test " flying site should be there for you to check it out to see what need to be fixed .

enjoy !
minhb is offline Find More Posts by minhb
Last edited by minhb; Apr 20, 2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 01:10 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,615 Posts
Hello Minhb

Well it seemed I was doing the right thing up till putting them in Phoenix. I have tried the process with 7 different panos and only one of them will actually 'cube up' without crashing the cube program due to low memory.

I have xp sp2 with 3.6gb useable memory, nothing I can do about that now so will have to get my photo bud to cube them up for me I guess. The images he gave me range from 53 to 600mb.

The one that does give me the cube faces does not process the date correctly. It seems to miss the centre strip out of the images. It certainly omits data that is in the original pano and it is twice as wide as it is tall. I can scroll around it but it's super small and not all there.

I do appreciate your help but i'm not about to hassle you with cube-ing my panos so i'll be back after the weekend when I can see my friend again.

Maybe changing a n already working site would also help me learn, how hard would it be to put some small puddle sin the car park for instance?
Old Apr 24, 2013, 05:51 AM
Joined Apr 2013
27 Posts
There is good pdf-tutorial in German, translated to english, at http://phoenix-sim-szenerien.de.tl/scenery-tutorial.htm. The page also describes how to take the panomaric pictures. Select "English" if you have trouble understanding German...
PetterB is offline Find More Posts by PetterB
Old Nov 03, 2013, 06:11 AM
ridgeline
United States
Joined Mar 2013
23 Posts
Using Phoenix Creator with Windows 7

Has anyone had the problem I will explain here with Phoenix Creator using windows 7?

First of all;
I have Phoenix Creator v2.5b installed on a windows 7 system.
The program seems to work.
I have added the six image panels to create the entire 360-degree scene.
Added a starting position “default 1” and exported the scene to Phoenix 4.
I can fly in the scene and collide with the ground.

The text below is from the help file for Phoenix Creator v2.5b.

Adding Collision Geometry
Without accurately placed collision geometry, the simulated model will simply fall through the scene, and not appear to collide with any of the panoramic elements of the background. Therefore collision geometry is crucial for an accurate simulation.
Collision geometry
To add a collision geometry element to the scene, select one of the geometry classes by clicking a button in the top panel, and then click a position in the scene.
Once you have created a piece of collision geometry, it will be shown in the main scene, and a manipulator will appear which will let you position or orient the object. You can then name the collision geometry using the edit-box to the right of the top panel.
Cube
Adds a cube primitive to the scene. You can then set the cube's width, height and length, and the orientation and position of the primitive.

Now for the problem!
I have added the cube to the scene, just as stated above.
The object manipulator appears.
But no object that can be manipulated is shown.
I would think that some kind of shape should be shown and when manipulated the shape should change.
Holding down the shift key and dragging the colored boxes to change the size of the object does nothing.
I have look for a way to make the object appear but no luck.

Any help with this would be very much welcomed.
Ridge
ridge is offline Find More Posts by ridge
Old Nov 05, 2013, 07:41 AM
ridgeline
United States
Joined Mar 2013
23 Posts
Fix

I finally figured this problem out with the help of a friend.

First of all, when I installed Phoenix 4 Flight Simulator I gave the install folder a name other then the default that the installer wanted. Then when I installed Phoenix Creator I did the same thing. Both programs install a folder called “resources”. Phoenix Creator uses many of the files that are in the Phoenix4 resources folder, so if Phoenix Creator is not in the same folder with Phoenix4 it cannot find those files. The file that is used to show the red cube shape is called SolidRed.bmp; it’s not in the Phoenix Creator “resources/textures” folder but it is in the Phoenix4 “resources/textures/misc” folder. As long as Creator can find that file, you can see the red cube shape changing size when you use the manipulator for resizing (Shift Key).

Bottom line is that there is no Windows 7 problem, and Phoenix Creator works fine with Windows 7. It’s best to install Phoenix Creator in the same folder where Phoenix4 is installed.
ridge is offline Find More Posts by ridge