SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:12 PM
Joined Oct 2006
276 Posts
Discussion
The RULES

This thread is for you guys who want to go over the nitty gritty details.
themudduck is offline Find More Posts by themudduck
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:15 PM
Joined Oct 2006
276 Posts
Rule #1

Rule #1 is: HAVE A GREAT TIME!

We want everyone to really enjoy themselves at our event. So we're doing everything we can, using the experience we've had over many years of having big events at the MARCS club ( we ran Giant Scale Air Racing for 10 years).

We're having a big raffle! And there will be tons of pilot prizes donated by Horizon and our vendors.
We'll have some really fun events, including "micro carrier" and "musical airplanes". Full contact combat? You bet!

We're having a FOOD DRIVE to benefit the local food bank. Bring at least 3 cans of food and get a free raffle ticket!

We ONLY have six rules. That's it.

Please post your suggestions here. We'll take everything that we can into careful consideration, keeping in mind that we're not perfect and we do have limitations!
Last edited by themudduck; Nov 06, 2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:19 PM
Joined Oct 2006
276 Posts
RULE #2 - AMA Sanction

Rule #2 - The HEF R/C Expo is an AMA-sanctioned event and the MARCS club is an AMA club. As a result, pilots must be current AMA members and must complete the safety forms during registration.

If you are not an AMA member, we can sign you up on the spot! But if you are reading this before the event starts, you can contact the AMA and join on-line. Here's the link: http://www.modelaircraft.org/members...lications.aspx

A waiver form is required for non-pilots to enter the flight-line area (press, guests, spouses, children, and friends). The flight-line area is a safety zone - and EVERYONE who is on the flight line must register one way or another. Please understand that this is for safety and legal considerations (its required by our insurance).

Another thing to note is: flying operations will be according to the AMA safety code.
So we'll have a flight line with pilot stations and of course we all know that there is no flying allowed behind the flight line!
Last edited by themudduck; Nov 11, 2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:26 PM
Joined Oct 2006
276 Posts
RULE #3 - maximum sizes

We have maximum sizes of R/C aircraft allowed at the event - based on weight and motor size
• All aircraft (any kind) must weigh under 16 ounces with battery
• Aircraft motor size: "Speed 300" or equivalent
• Helicopters motor size: “Speed 250” or equivalent
• Quads: obtain approval for props 8” diameter or larger

YES there will be exceptions allowed. BUT exceptions must be approved by the Contest Director (CD). You can email Tony ahead of the event (see the event flyer) or you can track him down in person at the event. If you can't find Tony, see Bernie (our announcer and host). They will inspect your plane and determine if you can fly.

Obviously this event is for electric-powered R/C aircraft only.

Very large models may be restricted to demo flights. Be reasonable, this is an indoor facility and although it's really big, it's best suited for lightweight aircraft that aren't too fast. If you bring a fast wing or heavy plane, you're likely to end up in the ceiling and that won't be FUN. We reserve the right to tell you "no" if you bring aircraft that are clearly not intended for indoor flying.

Please post if you have comments about this!
Last edited by themudduck; Nov 11, 2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:30 PM
Joined Oct 2006
276 Posts
Rule #4 - food and drink

No liquids are allowed anywhere in the flying areas - Please use designated food areas (grandstands, food court, balconies, and hallways)

The stadium is an olympic facility and the track has a high-tech surface engineered for athletes. The facility can't deal with cola and chips and cheese and hot dog grease on the floor. Once you see the surface you'll understand. No water! No drinks! Even if they are sealed! We will have "gate checkers" at the entrances to the flying area. If we catch you with food or drink, we will confiscate that stuff (and eat your nachos on the spot). And I really hate to say this - if we're forced into a combative and/or uncooperative situation you may be asked to leave.

There is a 5000-seat grandstand and walkway next the the flying area, and you can eat and drink all you want there. Thanks for your cooperation!!
Last edited by themudduck; Nov 06, 2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:35 PM
Joined Oct 2006
276 Posts
Rule #5 - separatre flying areas

Please use the separate flying areas designated for "3D", Micro and Heli flying.

ummm... what? What does this mean??

Well first let me define the designations more specifically:
"3D" meaning: lightweight foamies that can hover in mid-air, fly backwards, and perform awesome shreds in a tiny flying area generally right in front of the pilot (assuming the pilot can keep up).
"Micro": tiny planes that need to be flown within 50-100 feet from the pilot, in order to be visible. The micro area is also great for flying super-delicate models.
"Heli": helicopters and quad-copters. (and flying aircraft carriers, but we can always make exceptions!) These are also known as "a collection of expensive fast-moving parts flying in close formation, about to be broken".

This facility is really big. The main racetrack flying area is 300 feet long and about 125 feet wide. The 3D area is about 150 feet wide and 50 feet deep - which is about as large as two basketball courts. And an even larger area will be set aside for micros and quads and helicopters on the opposite side of the stadium. The picture below gives you an idea.

So - since we have these areas set aside, we expect that if you are a 3D, heli, or micro-aircraft pilot that you will be using those areas for your enjoyment. The main "racetrack" flying area is for planes that can fly in the pattern. Pilots who make a nuisance of themselves will most likely be politely asked (on the PA system) to relocate. We're not trying to be rude or obnoxious... We're really trying to promote everyone's enjoyment, flight safety, and also utilize the entire facility to it's full capacity. Yes you can fly those planes in the main racetrack area if you fly the pattern - but flying "3D" (hovering in the flight path of other planes) risks midair collisions and none of us want that. Small (micro) planes have a hard time maintaining the pattern (the main flying area is really BIG) and helicopters and quads just don't get along really well with fixed-wing aircraft in general.

We think it's a good idea to have separate flying areas for certain kinds of planes that are generally incompatible with each other. Hopefully this makes sense...

Please feel free to comment. We all want to have a good time, so enjoy the space that's been reserved just for you!
Last edited by themudduck; Nov 11, 2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:39 PM
Joined Oct 2006
276 Posts
Rule #6 - LiPo Batteries

All Lithium batteries must be charged in a fireproof container, preferably with a secure lid. Example: a metal box, a ceramic bowl and tile, LiPo sack, etc. Some vendors may be selling LiPo sacks.

We won't have a changing station available, sorry. There will be electrical outlets and power strips available up and down the pits area. You'll be responsible for your own batteries (there won't be battery police) but we'd like for you to do the right thing and ensure that you charge them in a safe manner. While charging your batteries, please do not leave them unattended!

Sand buckets will be provided for safe disposal of damaged batteries (or batteries that are suspected of being damaged). If you have a crash, and your battery puffs up or gets hot, please put them in the sand bucket. NEVER put any kind of battery in the trash cans or in your pockets. Please be safe!
Last edited by themudduck; Nov 06, 2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:04 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by themudduck View Post
So - since we have these areas, we expect that if you are a 3D, heli, or micro-aircraft pilot that you will not be using the main "racetrack" flying area. We're not trying to be exclusionary. We're trying to promote safety and also utilize the entire area to it's full capacity. Yes you can fly those planes in the main racetrack area - but you risk having a midair and none of us want that.
!
Are we free to take our chances with micro planes in the racetrack area?

I completely understand that no one wants helicopters (or 3D flying) in the racetrack area, but given the choice of where to fly my micro airplanes, I'll take my chances in the racetrack area over mixing it up the choppers.

Edit:
I was typing while you were editing.
The revised post indicates that you won't tolerate micro airplanes in the racetrack area.

I've abandon indoor sites before due to the difficultly in accommodating flying of "mixed disciplines" in the same airspace. It takes flyers that are patient, considerate, and willing to take turns, or an air marshall to continuously "babysit", sometimes both, to make things work. The flyers that care the least for their equipment (or that fly the most durable aircraft) always "win".
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Tim Wolff; Nov 06, 2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:32 PM
Joined Sep 2002
6,585 Posts
Will there be clearly marked flight lines in the 3D and micro/heli areas?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:06 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,926 Posts
From the PDF it appears that the micro planes and heli's and quads will share the same area, is that correct? Or will there be discrete times for each. They don't really seem to mix.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:03 AM
Joined Oct 2012
3 Posts
Thanks Mudduck for posting the rules. The key is respect and awareness of other pilots and life is good!!! regarding micros, we wont stop anybody from flying micros on the main flight line, I just dont want any whining when you you get run over by any larger planes!!! Helis are a differant story and should be kept within the deignated areas, same goes for 3D flyers. Our 3D flight area is plenty big so there is plenty of room and space for the hardcore 3D guys.
UNLIMITED49 is offline Find More Posts by UNLIMITED49
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:38 PM
Joined Oct 2006
276 Posts
flying areas

I should make it clear, I'm not the CD. I'm just trying to get these posts going, trying to get the word out.

Anyone who can stay in the pattern can use the main racetrack area. It's most likely that we'll say "no" to quads and helicopters, but no airplanes will be barred as long as they are flying in the pattern. Everyone, understand that of course we'll do what makes sense - we'll not have policemen chasing down 3D pilots who dare to fly! The point is, we've got these separate flight areas and we just want pilots to use them. Micros can have a hard time flying in the gigantic pattern, and they tend to get "run down" and "intimidated" and it's nice for them to have their own area where they can do their own thing without anyone bothering them. To clarify, I'm referring to the really small micros like Vapors.

Azarr, the Micro and Heli area is combined, but last year it wasn't a problem. There were only a few helis, and they kind of kept in one spot. We hope to have a lot more this year, but it should be easy to separate the two types. We haven't decided yet where to put them. Maybe we can put up some goalie nets or something to divide the space in half or something like that, we'll see.

Other than some small barriers on the floor, there aren't any physical barriers (like nets) separating the flying areas. For those of you who haven't seen the place, its hard to describe how large it is. From the main flight line, it's actually difficult to see your airplane if you go all the way to the edge of the field (assuming you have a typical indoor model). Contrast that to the JR event - where the micro area is on one side and the 3D is on the other.... with about 100 feet in between. The main flying area at the HEF is more than three times as wide.
Last edited by themudduck; Nov 07, 2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:49 PM
Joined Sep 2002
6,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wolff View Post
Will there be clearly marked flight lines in the 3D and micro/heli areas?
Anything on this?

There was enough flying from pit tables and standing in the middle of the micro area to fly in the race track area on Friday at this year's JR Indoor that it will likely be my last.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:12 PM
Joined Oct 2006
276 Posts
clearly marked flight lines

Dear Tim, I commented in the post right above yours.

To clarify - it's a lot different than JR. At JR, the micro area is right next to the main flying area and you not only have a relatively small space, you have to deal with the models in the main area constantly encroaching into your space.

Bernie called me out on that - I flew my Japanese "Gekko" over there by accident. Sorry!

At HEF, the main flying area is above the football field. The micro and heli area is the entire track and buffer zone along the south wall. We don't have a way to stop the main racetrack area from encroaching, but my experience is that you won't have that problem. The reason is that your area is more than 150 feet away from the main flightline, and pilots tend not to fly so far away from themselves and will turn before they get close to the track.

Our problem at HEF is that the micro and heli area is a long ways away from "the action". You may feel abandoned and alone way out there! I hope that you'll be joined by a lot of other micro enthusiasts to keep you company!! Last year, quite honestly, I couldn't even see the micro area from where I was standing, near the vendors and 3D area.(due to the curvature of the earth, I guess!)

Anyway, more directly to your question - in that area, we'll set up one area for helis and one area for the micros. I am not sure if we'll have actual flight stations, but we'll try to come up with some kind of barrier to mark where the pilots should stand in the two areas. Just as at JR, the pilots will be able to set up shop around the perimeter. If pilots are flying at their tables (behind the flight line) please bring that to the attention of a HEF worker/volunteer and we'll get it fixed.

I would suggest that if you have your own small tables, please bring them.
You may also wish to bring your own chairs. We'll have tables and chairs of course, but our supply isn't unlimited, and most (not all) of the furniture will be in the main pits area.

Incidentally, there is also a balcony area available on the south wall, which is big enough to be a dedicated micro area all by itself. If the micro guys need a dedicated space free from all other traffic, we may be able to accomodate them there.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:30 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,926 Posts
It's just unreal how large this facility really is. I know last year I was set up close to the 3D area and felt like I needed to pack a lunch to make it down to the micro area

Just a beautiful facility. The only thing that can improve it will be when they finalize the hotel on the property itself, then everything you could want will be in the same place (although you'd still need transportation to get around)

For anyone on the fence about attending, this is a must do event, great facility, great vendors, and well run.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr