SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 09, 2012, 11:02 PM
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Dec 2009
442 Posts
If Tommy D didn't get his yet mine is at the post office. I'm gonna pick it up tomorrow and can measure it for you.
Minimog is offline Find More Posts by Minimog
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2012, 01:43 AM
Wilde Sau
Germany
Joined Sep 2009
3,604 Posts
Here is the OD "Little Bunny" scheme...
Beltpilot is offline Find More Posts by Beltpilot
Old Mar 10, 2012, 07:59 AM
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2011
1,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F2G-1 View Post
hard to see, heres some pics of first coat of the styrospray 1000.
I have a few questions. First, where did you get it and for how much? Second, how much will it weigh when done?
Thanks
Mitchie is online now Find More Posts by Mitchie
Old Mar 10, 2012, 12:46 PM
United States, OH, Tallmadge
Joined Dec 2006
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchie View Post
I have a few questions. First, where did you get it and for how much? Second, how much will it weigh when done?
Thanks
http://www.industrialpolymers.com/pr...st/styrospray/

They're out of Texas, great people to talk to. It was around 30 buck + shipping.
the weight is negligible, and a little goes a long long way.
F2G-1 is offline Find More Posts by F2G-1
Old Mar 10, 2012, 02:43 PM
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2011
1,924 Posts
And you applied it with a foam brush? They don't show it on the videos, just the sprayer.
Mitchie is online now Find More Posts by Mitchie
Old Mar 10, 2012, 09:42 PM
Joined Dec 2006
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchie View Post
And you applied it with a foam brush? They don't show it on the videos, just the sprayer.
Foam brush, super simple.
Heres some new pics from todays brief stint in the shop.
block sanded second coat SS1000 w/ 400.
1 coat automotive bomb can primer - tested first to epo
Old Mar 12, 2012, 02:36 AM
Joined Dec 2006
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimog View Post
@F2G-1, could you measure the wheel size for me? Thank you
Pryed open the inner door, the wheels are 4". Wish they put diamond tred on. Oh well, mod for later.
Since i'm doing the Gabreski pre-restoration scheme, I spent some time shaving down the dorsal fin.
EPO is funny stuff, doesnt sand well, but after shaving it down, you can form and 'smoosh' it by hand. When they injection mold these planes, theres some compaction/consolidation in the surface cells of the foam, it seems - kinda neet when you think about it. I read somewhere that the mold size is actually smaller than the part size, b/c of the characteristics of the EPO and process - that has to make for some engineering/production headaches.
Last edited by F2G-1; Mar 12, 2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:32 PM
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Dec 2009
442 Posts
Mine arrived today :-) Will post pics tomorrow.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:59 PM
Joined Dec 2006
171 Posts
Preped the wings. Removed decals & masked off landing gear and lights, pulled servos. Those suckers were a tight fit....had to lock the vise grips on them (gently of course) so i could wiggle them out of their plastic housings. Put the first coat of SS on one side of each of the wings.
Test fit the modified Vstab and cut down dorsal filler. Looks like a different animal - I like it.
Getting pumped about painting - always fun to see her come to life

Pulled the canopy off, what a pain in the rear. Best way to do it- start at the rear and fish a pushrod between the side to break the glue bond. Figures, when you DONT want it to come off, they fly off in mid air......when you need to get it off, its frickin welded on.

Checked towers sizes on the TF 47 bubble conversion - I think it might be a tad too short.
hopefully the starmax might work, if i can find out who sells starmax parts. Worst case, I'll have to figure out how to strip the paint off the extra frame w/out dissolving the plastic.
Anybody got a length of the SM canopy?
Old Mar 18, 2012, 02:58 AM
Joined Dec 2006
171 Posts
The more I work on this 'foamy' the more i'm coming to the realization that the 'stigma' w/ foamies will soon be a thing of the past. I find myself using every trick in my arsenal of building and finishing skills (not that i'm anything special), and the results are really looking good so far. My goal is simple - mod or hide anything that screams "i'm a foam arf" lol!

I decided to do a little mod on the flaps. I was thinking about a true p-47 style fowler, but it would take to much time, and I think we can dress it up w/ minimum effort going a different route..

I wanted to 'simulate' the flaps of the full scale (the factory 'straight cut' flat leading edge of the flap is a dead giveaway.) so i needed to shave the foam at an angle, then sand the LE to shape. EPO sands funny, so i wanted to get it as close as possible by shaving it, then hit it with the 400.

Not wanting to risk a free-hand cut, I rigged up a miter and guide using triangle stock and an aluminum angle stock to use as a fence clamped to the flap. Nice and straight.
Then I'll glue a 1" x 1/32 strip to the wing w/ 1/2" overhang, and blend while i'm putting the second coat of styrospray and primer.

Here's some pics.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:53 AM
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Dec 2009
442 Posts
OMG!!! This thing is efin huge!!! May sound silly, but I'm mostly excited about the size of the tires, LOL... I must say FMS came a long way from the 1400mm series. This might be the first PNP I may leave with original electronics. Servos feel and look good, I may change the bec since I have a hercules one just collecting dust, other that than it's good to go. Well, actually after doing a few flights I'm going to re-hinge everything with some dubro pin hinges. Here's some pics for you guys.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 04:23 PM
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Dec 2009
442 Posts
So who is flying theirs? What size packs are you flying it on? CG at 90mm correct?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 06:44 PM
Joined Dec 2006
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimog View Post
So who is flying theirs? What size packs are you flying it on? CG at 90mm correct?
Still working on mine, but I'm gonna fly her on the recommended 4000 6C packs, same as my eurofighter. You didnt waste no time getting her together!
Been quiet around here (thread), probably because of this incredible march weather, everybody's flying.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:52 PM
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Dec 2009
442 Posts
Lol, couldn't resist. took me all of 20 minutes. It's not quite flight ready but assembled it all and installed a receiver so I could check all servos and such. I'm borrowing a friends 6s 3800 packs to try it out. I did trial fit 2 4s 5500 packs and they fit. If I ever decide to go 8S it will get a hacker A60 motor. Will fly it stock first though.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:34 PM
Joined Feb 2012
72 Posts
Just read the entire discussion. Think this will be my next plane! Has anyone flown theirs yet?! Very curious how it flies.
ofd23 is offline Find More Posts by ofd23