HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 02, 2011, 07:12 PM
Formerly bUd~Fokker
Australia, NSW, Eurongilly
Joined Aug 2008
2,039 Posts
Idea
Tethered FPV chase plane??

One day whilst dreaming in the land of FPV i thought to myself, would it be possible to have a tethered FPV chase plane so you could get a view of the whole plane from the rear.

I know there are some obvious issues with the idea, like how it would be attached and it's effect on the cg of the plane. Id imagine for it to possibly work the ratio of the planes sizes would have to be large.... as in you would need a small tethered plane on a plane that's large enough to not get too buffered around by it.

Perhaps the chase plane might not have to look like a plane at all... perhaps it's just some flying wing type airfoil.
As for the attachment .... i thought if it was a cable tow line the plane would get buffeted around a lot. One idea in my head was like a mPX Fox fitted with a camera and servos for ailerons and elevator with gyros on each to keep the plane level, and connected by servo leads along a kevlar strand.

Or perhaps the link could be solid, via a cf strip or tube.

Maybe someone has already tried this ...Or perhaps the whole idea is just some silly pipe dream that would be nigh on impossible to implement.

I am nearly banking on the later .... but i thought id throw the idea out there.

:P
vvV FANG Vvv is offline Find More Posts by vvV FANG Vvv
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2011, 07:37 PM
Ask me about my FPV addiction
United States, MN, Wayzata
Joined May 2011
106 Posts
Why not have a stiff wire going towards the back and then have the camera face forward? Going towards your idea you could have a plane somehow make it follow a live GPS read from the plane infront.
Ugrd is offline Find More Posts by Ugrd
Old Jun 03, 2011, 03:05 AM
Joined Jun 2010
561 Posts
on youtube is a video of an easy glider with an wide angle camera mounted on the top of the tail. You can see almost the whole plan only the tips of the wings are missing.
nabazul is offline Find More Posts by nabazul
Old Jun 03, 2011, 04:25 AM
Post # 20 million
Joined Aug 2009
2,636 Posts
FPV RC Plane with almost the whole plane in view (5 min 21 sec)
Kev.au is offline Find More Posts by Kev.au
Old Jun 03, 2011, 04:35 AM
Old Blighty
Joined Apr 2010
1,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev.au View Post
Great vid!
Ian Davidson is offline Find More Posts by Ian Davidson
Old Jun 03, 2011, 04:59 AM
California
Joined Aug 2010
161 Posts
I did the front view here, but I like your thinking of trying a full rear view.

Tribal Moon (4 min 4 sec)
mike20sm is offline Find More Posts by mike20sm
Old Jun 03, 2011, 05:08 AM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,028 Posts
I think it's great for reducing RF by getting the VTX far away from the plane. I actualy saw some great videos where a fob camera was mounted to a small depron triangle pulled by a single line off the tail.
A challenge may be safe orientation, as there is some slop between RC and view.
Perhaps a small delta with lots of dihedral to carry the VTX gear and stay upright and stable.
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy