Closed Thread
Old May 06, 2011, 04:50 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbadaba2 View Post
The new Exposure Control really works well IMO and I'm more then willing to give up the visable datestamp. I just "kind of" wanted it on for certain clps.

Yabba
I think you will also have the continuous recording function on now, whether you wanted it or not. Can you check that... you should get a clip longer that 20 min... you can manually turn off the camera after letting it record for maybe 5 -10 minutes more. I believe exposure control improvement was just added to the previous continuous recording firmware. And ditto for the prior firmware changes... each new release just adds a new function to the previous.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2011, 04:55 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
I think you will also have the continuous recording function on now, whether you wanted it or not. Can you check that... you should get a clip longer that 20 min... you can manually turn off the camera after letting it record for maybe 5 -10 minutes more. I believe exposure control improvement was just added to the previous continuous recording firmware. And ditto for the prior firmware changes... each new release just adds a new function to the previous.
Yes I do, tried this morning for 37 minutes and had a 37 minute file (1)

Sorry I didn't make a note of the file size before I reformatted and charged again in case the wind died down this afternoon. (it hasn't )

Yabba
Yabba is offline Find More Posts by Yabba
Old May 06, 2011, 05:01 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
Parameters for the #7 cam are changeable using an external file. The file is compiled by the user into a custom version of the firmware, which is then flashed to the cam. The memory requirements of the cam are not a factor this way.

There are probably several hundred combinations if you consider that the frame rate can be set from 5 to 30 (26 choices), date on/off, inverted or not, etc
This is interesting. I expect the PC program searches the firmware file for a keyword and then sets known memory locations after the keyword with the parameters. When the firmware runs, it looks for the parameters at the known positions.
So when you "compile" the file you are in effect patching the memory values in the file. I also used this method in the early '80s because it avoided a configuration .ini file. The OS was CP/M in those days and memory was very rare indeed. It wouldn't work in today's PC environment because modifying the binary program code (.exe) from another program is taboo and the antivirus programs would go haywire.

You are right, just a few parameters in all possible combinations can quickly give hundreds of combinations.

If memory is a problem in the #11, this could be a viable method...
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old May 06, 2011, 05:30 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
If memory is a problem in the #11, this could be a viable method...
It's a good way for the #7. The utilities used are supported by Ankya, the video processor maker. Question is - does Novatek also have something like that?
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old May 06, 2011, 05:56 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by air_crash View Post
It`s the REAL thing!

Wow. Under load, charging a key camera, the voltage meter reads a constant 5.05V
Amazing (well it should work this way, anyway).
This is with the 1600mah rechargeable batteries.
Air..
Awesome .. i can't wait to get these $1.00 chargers I ordered two, based on your post 3489 above.. I too like the idea of just recharging one in my pocket while other No 11 are in use.. I never bothered weighing a AA or AAA rechargeable before.. I more typically look at how much current it takes to recharge them..or how long, seems both parameters go up when there near end-of-life or have been abused by letting them run out "flat" as Iso calls it.. Fun Stuff.. and in general I would definitely prefer the safety of NiMH's over Lipo's any day. I almost burned up a rental car once, and San Diego another time so I hate dealing with either them or those overheating ESC's both.
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Old May 06, 2011, 05:57 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,731 Posts
Firmware Revisions for the Original #11

04/07/2012 Update:

Warning! The firmware in this post is for the ORIGINAL #11 camera which is no longer being made as of this date. DO NOT LOAD THIS FIRMWARE INTO THE NEW CAMERA VERSION 2 (easily identified by the new thin, 8-wire mini-USB plug). There is no firmware available for download for the new camera version here! See this post for new V2 camera firmware.

9/20/2011 Update:

The firmware .zip files have been replaced with new ones having mainly cosmetic changes, the most significant being changing the firmware file name extension to capital letters, e.g. "FW96630A.bin" is now "FW96630A.BIN". There is NO change in the firmware itself and no need to flash in your firmware again if you have the current Rel2 version installed!

This change ONLY makes the files useable to the LINUX operation system, so Windows OS users can ignore the change. There's also some clarification in the text files accompany each firmware where needed to better explain what they do. This post explains all the firmware functioning in more detail.

9/18/2011 Update:

Two new 70 min. stop/save/continue firmwares have been released, one with date stamp turned off, and one to turn it back on. These will both continuously record consecutive clips until the memory card fills up, but there is still one minor bug. Once the card is full and the last clip is saved, the camera does not turn off or go back into the normal low power consumption standby mode. It will continue to stay powered up as if recording, even though no recording is going on. So the camera will stay very warm if a continuous power supply or large external battery pack is being used. Manually turning off the camera is necessary.

This firmware will create recordings that are approximately 3.7GB in size... very close to the full 4GB limit of the FAT file system. This is only about 10 minutes less recording time per clip than the full 4GB file size. If a 32GB flash card were in use, that means there is only one additional clip to process compared to a full 4GB files size. With smaller flash cards, the number of recorded clips will be the same.

7/17/2011 Update:

A new 50 min. stop/save/continue with "date stamp on" firmware has been released and is now available for download. In addition, all the current firmware names have been revised as well to better reflect what they do.

5/27/2011 Update:

The firmware in folders for "Remove Time" and "Continuous Recording and Remove Time" that were posted on 5/20/2011 were reversed! This has now been corrected as of this date. If you downloaded the either of these two folders prior to this date, please down load these two folders again so they contain the correct firmware files.

5/20/2011 UPDATE:

New Release 2 firmware NOW AVAILABLE.

The firmware we have been using up until today (Release 1) is now considered obsolete and is replaced with Release 2 Firmware (attached below). I have removed Release 1 from download availability here to avoid confusion and future problems. If you are still running Release 1 and need one of the old firmware files from that series, PM me.

The new firmware IS NOT INTERCHANGABLE with the prior Release 1 firmware, so do not try it. YOU CAN overwrite the old Release 1 firmware with the new Release 2, but you cannot do the opposite. Release 1 will load over Release 2 and run, but strange things can result, like the video frame size might be reduced down to a very high resolution 320 x 240 size like it did on my camera. Fortunately re-installing Release 2 will restore normal operation, and Release 2 has all the functionality of Release 1, plus it has added better color saturation control. So there is no reason to not install Release 2 unless there is something about Release 1 you can't part with.

Release 2 has the following firmware files, and there is no way to tell which version is on your camera other than by testing to see if the date stamp is on or off, and the length of the video recordings (the stated times are EXACT):

1. Remove Time - 20 min: erases the date/time stamp with 20 min. stop/save/continue (S/S/C) function

2. Remove Time - Continuous (4GB): erases the date/time stamp and allows continuous recording (except S/S/C at 4GB file limit)

NOTE: This firmware currently has a bug and does not restart a video after the 4GB S/S function. Bug fix is not available.

3. Recover Time - 20 min: restores the date/time stamp with 20 min. S/S/C function

4. Recover Time - 50 min: restores the date/time stamp with 50 min. S/S/C function
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jun 22, 2012 at 11:00 AM. Reason: replaced incorrect folder in 70 min. recover zip file
Old May 06, 2011, 06:08 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
This is interesting. ..
The OS was CP/M in those days and memory was very rare indeed. It wouldn't work in today's PC environment because modifying the binary program code (.exe) from another program is taboo and the antivirus programs would go haywire.
Iso,
that brings back a few mostly long lost memories of my old S-100/ CP/M Z-80 PC's and I can certainly agree about the AV s/w and Win 7 64 going haywire too.. i can't hardly install half the stuff you and Tom recommend in here cause it's all apparently blocked one way or another as it triggers on Malware now.. or i don't know how any more. (CrystalMark and the 808repair and it's associated programs as classic examples). Hey it's Progress I guess..pretty soon they'll replace us and will have to deal with it themselves.. JimS
Old May 06, 2011, 07:47 PM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
.........like the idea of just recharging one in my pocket.......
Yikes!
I hope that pocket is in a jacket that is tied to the end of a long rope that is tied to your belt.
And not the front pocket of your jeans - LOL.

Walt
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli
Old May 06, 2011, 07:55 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joespeeder View Post
If I'm following all of this a new user or someone starting fresh with a new #11 only needs to install the latest Exposure Control Firmware(Choice #2) to get better overall picture quality for RC flight and remove the Time/Date Stamp.

Joe
Yes, but you still need to do the timeset.txt file thing if the camera is to know the time/date to give to the file.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old May 06, 2011, 08:21 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,221 Posts
Spectacular !!!

Thanks Tom.
Joespeeder is offline Find More Posts by Joespeeder
Old May 06, 2011, 09:09 PM
Colorado Mountains
Joined Aug 2010
331 Posts
[QUOTE=Isoprop;18165272]First of all, the exposure control firmware INCLUDES the continuous recording feature. See my previous post.
I apologize - I didn't realize "continuous recording" really meant 4gb s/s/c.

Your idea of many firmware versions is a very bad idea. How can the manufacturer possibly keep hundreds (yes, there would be hundreds) of versions up to date?

Well, I'm not asking for hundreds of firmwares, just one more. There appears to be multiple persons wanting the time stamp. And the "timestamp on" feature has already been written.

The vast majority of people do not want the timestamp.
Would you happen to know the numbers of the "vast majority". How many are for and how many are against having the timestamp?

I was also a programmer of the ancient languages and it would have been extreamly simple to add a already written "timestamp on" routine to an existing "exposure" routine.

So I guess my question is: How difficult is it for the manufacturer to take the "exposure" firmware, and add the already written "timestamp ON" function to it?
zrobbie is offline Find More Posts by zrobbie
Old May 06, 2011, 10:07 PM
eat, sleep, FLY FLY FLY
Charlottesville, VA
Joined Jun 2005
1,069 Posts
I bricked it

SI I have a #11 version (2 mo old, qc on side)
I copied the fw96630a.bin to the root and truned it off. It would not restart ( no yellow light) I connect to the pc again and the bin file sill on card, I erase (per # 16) and turn off, remove and still I cannot get a yellow light with it unplugged form the pc. I tried the reset button on the side ng. I can still get a red light by plugging it into the pc and a yellow when I hit the power button and have acess to the card, any euggestions
Mr.frankenjet is online now Find More Posts by Mr.frankenjet
Old May 06, 2011, 10:16 PM
eat, sleep, FLY FLY FLY
Charlottesville, VA
Joined Jun 2005
1,069 Posts
Never mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.frankenjet View Post
SI I have a #11 version (2 mo old, qc on side)
I copied the fw96630a.bin to the root and truned it off. It would not restart ( no yellow light) I connect to the pc again and the bin file sill on card, I erase (per # 16) and turn off, remove and still I cannot get a yellow light with it unplugged form the pc. I tried the reset button on the side ng. I can still get a red light by plugging it into the pc and a yellow when I hit the power button and have acess to the card, any euggestions
I got it to do a re-do and the firmwhere took. Good news )
I hope to post some vid soon, I cannot wate to see the compair to my old 5 in 1 yea !
Mr.frankenjet is online now Find More Posts by Mr.frankenjet
Old May 06, 2011, 10:32 PM
Ελλάς, Αττική, Αθήνα
Joined Apr 2011
316 Posts
I can agree that the timestamp is a nice feature for some people.
Even though I don`t want the timestamp on the majority of my videos I like it on some.

The best would be to choose while shooting to show the timestamp or not by pushing a third button.
Actually it would need two extra buttons. One ON and one OFF. As there is no screen to see what`s activated.
This way a video could have a timestamp at the beginning but not for the rest, or have or not per your preference.

Now that I`m thinking of it...
It would be nice a firmware to let the camera show the timestamp, say for the first 10 seconds, and then go away.
air_crash is offline Find More Posts by air_crash
Old May 07, 2011, 12:20 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Please PM me your comments if this is not clear or contains errors:
Tom, I think it's nice to have a link to go back in time to turn TIME ON and back OFF, almost as good as Back to the Future.
Closed Thread