SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 11, 2010, 05:21 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,771 Posts
Had my Champ out today -- not too cold, but blizzard coming in tomorrow!

Found it was pulling to the right. Though that prop torque would push it to the LEFT if anything, but it was pulling right.

Rudder was dead straight. Tried to adjust the trim for max left rudder, and it was STILL pulling right.

Flew just FINE last time -- any idea why this is happening now?

Oh, and it banks right even w/o power -- i.e. gliding down....

Steve
Flyboy Steve is offline Find More Posts by Flyboy Steve
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2010, 05:26 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,382 Posts
Dave, just for S&G's I grabbed one of the old motors from my micro Cub, and popped the brush holder off. As you stated they do have a pair of flat metal arms(?) and there is a black type material coated to the end that runs against the armature.

Might be a carbon coating of some type. I have a new Champ coming, I'll give it a water break in and report back to you on it.

If I remember to do so, I'll take amp readings before and after and see if it makes a difference.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Dec 11, 2010, 05:28 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Girl View Post
I have a new Champ coming, I'll give it a water break in and report back to you on it.

If I remember to do so, I'll take amp readings before and after and see if it makes a difference.
Champ motor failures are pretty rare. Mustang motors failures are very common in comparison.

I'd just fly it.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Dec 11, 2010, 06:43 PM
Enough Power? -NEVER ENOUGH!
North-Eastern Saskatchewan, Canada -Eh?!
Joined Apr 2008
1,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy Steve View Post

Found it was pulling to the right. Though that prop torque would push it to the LEFT if anything, but it was pulling right.

Rudder was dead straight. Tried to adjust the trim for max left rudder, and it was STILL pulling right.

Steve
could be any reason. turn you plane and tx on and center it the bend the little "U" shaped piece of wire closer of farther to adjust it to the right. then fly and if you have to use some trim and it it needs more trin then repeat what i said above.
*only make small changes at a time*
monboy10 is offline Find More Posts by monboy10
Old Dec 11, 2010, 08:18 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:

Steve
Steve...mine did that too...had me scratching my head...until I made a slow pass by, and toward myself, and noticed the top of the rudder was bent in flight. On the ground, it looked normal. Turned out, there was a crease in it, so the air friction was folding it to the side a bit during flight. A little piece of tape fixed it...might check that.
The Hog Pen is offline Find More Posts by The Hog Pen
Old Dec 11, 2010, 09:03 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
Champ motor failures are pretty rare. Mustang motors failures are very common in comparison.

I'd just fly it.
Mine kept getting weaker, and kept drawing more current, but would have kept flying for a while.

Dave
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Dec 12, 2010, 08:22 AM
Southern Ontario
Joined Nov 2010
120 Posts
Quote:

Steve
Hi Steve:

I had something similar happen after a rough landing in some wind. Check the pushrods where they enter the control horns. My rudder horn had slipped ever so slightly up the "Z" bend to cause the problem with mine. I reshaped the "Z" bend slightly and all is well now.
Redcoat is offline Find More Posts by Redcoat
Old Dec 12, 2010, 08:42 AM
The Netherlands, ZH, Wassenaar
Joined Sep 2010
827 Posts
Quote:

Steve
If your Champ is "seasoned" lots of crashes, cartwheels, it could have "loose wings" like mine did as a results of repeated bending. I compared my old Champ to a new one out of the box by putting two fingers under each wingtip about an inch in from outboard as if weighing. I noticed the old Champs wings were much more "flexible" and the left wing even more flexible. It previously snapped off and was glued back. Anyways, it pulled to one side and I gured the loose wing was acting like a huge aileron? I put a taped a balsa piece across the top and took out the dihedral and the problem went away but then it flew like a P-51 fast! So I put back the dihedral and now it flies like new!
HobbyZone Champ How to Repair Broken Wing and Rudder w/Test FLight After (6 min 51 sec)
TheLeabres is offline Find More Posts by TheLeabres
Old Dec 12, 2010, 01:22 PM
Build, Fly, Crash, repeat
United States, NC, Shelby
Joined Nov 2010
1,569 Posts
Aerobatics

Anybody ever do any aerobatics with their Champ? Only thing I have found I can do is a back-flip in Pro mode. Just make it nose dive then push down on right stick real fast and it will back flip.

Any videos or techniques anybody want to share?
big_poppa4904 is offline Find More Posts by big_poppa4904
Old Dec 12, 2010, 02:01 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_poppa4904 View Post
Anybody ever do any aerobatics with their Champ? Only thing I have found I can do is a back-flip in Pro mode. Just make it nose dive then push down on right stick real fast and it will back flip.

Any videos or techniques anybody want to share?
Believe it or not, there's a lot you can do with this little plane. Try this one...get some good altitude going away from yourself, then elevator down until the plane is inverted, and coming back toward you. You can feather the elevator so it doesn't complete the loop. Once you get the feel for how much elevator you need, work the rudder to keep it inverted. Since you're flying at yourself, but upside down, the rudder controls are not reversed...so orientation is easier. Once you get the hang of that, start flying different directions inverted. You can come out of that by pushing the elevator down, which will push the plane up, since you're upside down, and stall the plane out...then dive out of your stall.
The Hog Pen is offline Find More Posts by The Hog Pen
Old Dec 12, 2010, 02:12 PM
Enough Power? -NEVER ENOUGH!
North-Eastern Saskatchewan, Canada -Eh?!
Joined Apr 2008
1,386 Posts
trying an inverted loop, stalls and snap rolls if you move the controls closer in
monboy10 is offline Find More Posts by monboy10
Old Dec 12, 2010, 02:46 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,771 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. Noticed that the rudder WAS a bit "soft", and that air pressure would move it to the right. Used some CA to stiffen it back up. Too much wind/snow today to test, but I'll report back when the weather is a bit nicer...

Thanks!

Steve

PS: Looking at TheLeabres 's video reminds me that there is still a LOT of life left in my bird!
Old Dec 12, 2010, 02:51 PM
The Netherlands, ZH, Wassenaar
Joined Sep 2010
827 Posts
As fun as it is to do aerobatics with the Champ (after over 400 flights I've managed a few) it's probably detrimental to the Champ. Examine the lightweight mounting of the control horns and you'll see that constant high G moves will result in tearing or loosening the base.

I guess you can try lazy loops versus pulling out of 100mph dives! Has anyone out there ever snapped a wing from a super high G move?
TheLeabres is offline Find More Posts by TheLeabres
Old Dec 12, 2010, 03:06 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,771 Posts
YES! Snapped one doing a loop. Learned to pull out more gently....

AND, thanks to your post, found the problem w/ MY Champ (I think). The CONTROL HORN on the rudder was loose! Glue was "kinda" giving away so it would PUSH well, but not PULL! Put on some CA. Will test fly when weather improves.

Thanks guys!
Old Dec 12, 2010, 05:04 PM
Just gotta mod. it
Northern British Columbia
Joined Dec 2006
936 Posts
Had the champ out today, although it was snowing and about 10 F. out there was little wind. Between the Champ and the t-28 it was a good day. Need a camera with a faster shutter speed...lol
canadianufo is offline Find More Posts by canadianufo