HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:29 PM
KK4NZS
Virginia
Joined Sep 2006
1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by debianhot View Post
The most used pigment for white is titanium oxide so maybe its your case with the white plastic tubes .
Yupp thats good to know changed it out for a clear tube but didnt really see any drastic change in performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
Someone posted up their fix. I'm pretty sure their solution was to wrap the servo in aluminum ducting tape available from your local hardware store.

-Wayne
Wayne that was me and yes I actually wrapped them in aluminum tape used for duct wrap. It certainly reduced it almost 80 percent the other thing that I did was get the 40cm dipole antenna version which greatly reduced the interference 99 percent.

I have jr 821 servos so technically the issue is not fixed but its a remedy for sure and also it helps if you have large planes
Nelapaty is offline Find More Posts by Nelapaty
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:11 PM
United States, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Mar 2005
635 Posts
suggestion for the X9D.

please put a 3 position switch on top left, and a 2 position switch on the top right. This is the standard setup. For helicopters you want your idle up on the left, and throttle hold on the right.

for some reason walkera did this backwards, and i've see a couple others that are backwards.
P.I.Engineer is offline Find More Posts by P.I.Engineer
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:14 PM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod155 View Post
suggestion for the X9D.

please put a 3 position switch on top left, and a 2 position switch on the top right. This is the standard setup. For helicopters you want your idle up on the left, and throttle hold on the right.

for some reason walkera did this backwards, and i've see a couple others that are backwards.
Make all the switches menu selectable.
davecrash is offline Find More Posts by davecrash
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:25 PM
Australia, NSW, Marsfield
Joined Feb 2012
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecrash View Post
Make all the switches menu selectable.
and more of them three position.. so we Naza users can select functions easier.
rcroadtrain is offline Find More Posts by rcroadtrain
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:57 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
RX Antenna Mystery

I have had my Naza quad go into failsafe three times now at a range of probably 200 meters.

I have done much range testing with various antenna configurations: both down, one up and one down, one down and one horizontal. I doesn't make a difference.

What does make a difference is how I hold the radio. If I hold the radio vertical I can get out 40 meters or even more on the green low power setting, but if I hold the radio horizontally I sometimes get only maybe 15 meters.

It is not how the antenna is pointing either. I can keep the antenna at a vertical angle and if make the radio go horizontal it will go out of range. Also if I hold the radio vertical but facing away 90 degrees it will drop range.

It is almost as if the back of the module is acting as the antenna and acting like a directional patch antenna. In fact, I can get 20 meters away from the RX with no antenna at all if the radio is vertical, which is further than I can get with an antenna if the radio is horizontal.

My radio is Futaba 9C, module is V8FT and RX is V8R7SP. I have similar results on my Hex which has the same RX.

I have tried the standard antenna, the Frsky 5 dbi antenna and the Frsky 7dbi patch antenna. All give the same results.

Do you think my module is defective?
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:00 PM
Hungary, Borsod-Aba˙j-ZemplÚn, Miskolc
Joined Mar 2011
162 Posts
I had a range problem with my V8HT where the antenna soldering broke. It was a poor soldering job anyways, it took some hours fiddling with that tiny wire, but it works alright now. When I replaced my Turnigy 9X with a Futaba 9CP I got a DHT-U module, because of telemetry and by design it places the antenna way outward from the handle and the wiring/pcb of the transmitter. I don't even need the 5dbi antenna for full range.
Sterby is offline Find More Posts by Sterby
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:03 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterby View Post
I had a range problem with my V8HT where the antenna soldering broke. It was a poor soldering job anyways, it took some hours fiddling with that tiny wire, but it works alright now. When I replaced my Turnigy 9X with a Futaba 9CP I got a DHT-U module, because of telemetry and by design it places the antenna way outward from the handle and the wiring/pcb of the transmitter. I don't even need the 5dbi antenna for full range.
Are you saying there might be quility issues with this system?
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:39 PM
Joined Feb 2012
354 Posts
there could be issues with your tx module..
its the only reason I can think of for your getting that result.

the coax cable runs up the antenna stick, with the outer braid stopping and the centre conductor continuing for a (tuned) length. This is the bit that is the dipole part of the antenna, the part thats supposed to 'do the job'.
the results you're reporting suggest the signal isnt getting there correctly.. first, by the limited range, and second by the effect of Tx positioning...

sounds like it might be time to pull the cover off, and give it a real good inspection....
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:42 PM
KK4NZS
Virginia
Joined Sep 2006
1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
I have had my Naza quad go into failsafe three times now at a range of probably 200 meters.

I have done much range testing with various antenna configurations: both down, one up and one down, one down and one horizontal. I doesn't make a difference.

What does make a difference is how I hold the radio. If I hold the radio vertical I can get out 40 meters or even more on the green low power setting, but if I hold the radio horizontally I sometimes get only maybe 15 meters.

It is not how the antenna is pointing either. I can keep the antenna at a vertical angle and if make the radio go horizontal it will go out of range. Also if I hold the radio vertical but facing away 90 degrees it will drop range.

It is almost as if the back of the module is acting as the antenna and acting like a directional patch antenna. In fact, I can get 20 meters away from the RX with no antenna at all if the radio is vertical, which is further than I can get with an antenna if the radio is horizontal.

My radio is Futaba 9C, module is V8FT and RX is V8R7SP. I have similar results on my Hex which has the same RX.

I have tried the standard antenna, the Frsky 5 dbi antenna and the Frsky 7dbi patch antenna. All give the same results.

Do you think my module is defective?
Do you have fpv setup on the quads?
Nelapaty is offline Find More Posts by Nelapaty
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:47 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Yep, it was the module. I had a new telemetry DFT module sitting on the shelf that I was going to put in when I got my DAC converter, so I decided to swap it in and it works great and I get a huge distance when I range check now, and it doesn't matter how I position the TX. I can even put it behind me.

A couple of weeks ago I was testing the new Frsky patch antenna and I removed the old antenna and put on patch while the TX was "on". I am wondering if I damaged my original module by having the TX "on" when I was changing antennas. Is that possible? Is it a no no to have power to a TX when the antenna is not on? Or was it just a random failure.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:02 PM
Joined Feb 2012
354 Posts
Quote:
Yep, it was the module. I had a new telemetry DFT module sitting on the shelf that I was going to put in when I got my DAC converter, so I decided to swap it in and it works great and I get a huge distance when I range check now, and it doesn't matter how I position the TX. I can even put it behind me.

A couple of weeks ago I was testing the new Frsky patch antenna and I removed the old antenna and put on patch while the TX was "on". I am wondering if I damaged my original module by having the TX "on" when I was changing antennas. Is that possible? Is it a no no to have power to a TX when the antenna is not on? Or was it just a random failure.

Yes, it is possible.. unlikely, but possible. Usually engineers build things to handle events like short circuits or opens, but occasionally you get a design engineer who is brilliant with digital but has no idea about analog circuits...

..silly question: these antenna connectors come in two flavours, SMA and RP-SMA... could it be possible you've got the wrong connector ...? (check that one side has the centre pin..)
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:08 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Quote:
..silly question: these antenna connectors come in two flavours, SMA and RP-SMA... could it be possible you've got the wrong connector ...? (check that one side has the centre pin..)
No, the module has the center pin and all three of my antennas, which are all Frsky types, appear to have holes in the center to accept the pin.

I did run into that exact problem with a cloverleaf type I bought on Ebay for my VTR. It needed a pin but didn't have one. I got really bad reception before I figured that out.

I took the old module apart. The antenna wire is connected and there is no obvious damage. Maybe it just went bad. But I'll also not remove the antenna when the radio is on again, just in case.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:10 PM
Joined Feb 2012
354 Posts
Quote:
But I'll also not remove the antenna when the radio is on again, just in case.
thats probably a good idea, but not just for the sake of the Tx module..
wrapping your hand around the Tx stick is like sticking your hand into a tiny microwave oven...
Last edited by rcroadtrain; Dec 13, 2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:17 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Here's another question: how loud is the RSSI "beep" from the module when a telemetry RX is used and the signal gets low. I am kind of hard of hearing and often miss hearing the timer beep on my Futaba 9C. I know it hard to describe, but I am just curious about the sound level of the beep. Thanks.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:18 PM
Habitual Line Stepper
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
Quote:

Its a no no, that definitely could have done it.
Cervanchez is online now Find More Posts by Cervanchez