HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2015, 02:48 PM
South London United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2003
1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelocityRC View Post
Thanks for that link. The programming card seems basic as bar as what is printed on the card in the image. Are more detailed instructions included to cover these programming options? Bill S.
Hi Bill

Don't know if you've noticed, but the YEP card has two pages. The items on the bottom half of your list are on the front page.
Once you have completed those, press the left hand upper and lower buttons simultaneously, the led's will cycle across and down, and then you are on page two
where the other settings are adjusted.

Cheers

Jeff
Border Lord is online now Find More Posts by Border Lord
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2015, 03:19 PM
Joined Jun 2003
1,469 Posts
Quote:
Does anybody have a link to the programming card for the YEP 40a ? Cant seem to find it on HK site.

Does a YEP 40a have clear instructions for stick programming ?

Bill S.
Hi Bill

Here ya go

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ming_Card.html

Jeff
Old Mar 25, 2015, 05:48 PM
If it Works, You Better Fix It
North Idaho
Joined Feb 2011
808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdooley View Post
mine measures 26.3mm. Maybe that 25mm measurement was without the heat shrink.
I tried it in a 450 pro clone and it is pushing the frames apart.
Yeah, I should have mentioned it is a Pro frame I'm hoping to fit it between. Thanks, I thought someone here mentioned that it would go but it was a bit snug. I guess that ESC might not work out for me after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Lord View Post
Hi Bill

Don't know if you've noticed, but the YEP card has two pages. The items on the bottom half of your list are on the front page.
Once you have completed those, press the left hand upper and lower buttons simultaneously, the led's will cycle across and down, and then you are on page two
where the other settings are adjusted.

Cheers

Jeff
Thanks BL and pdooley, always good advise out there when you need it.

I'll probably put a 5a bec on my Align ESC.

Bill S.
VelocityRC is offline Find More Posts by VelocityRC
Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:46 PM
North Idaho
Joined Feb 2011
808 Posts
Question about BEC's. I need a small 6V 5A bec as compact as possible. Already looked at HK stuff any other suggestions ?

I am seeing UBEC and SBEC, Googled it but I need a clearer answer for 450 selection. Advise on that anyone ?

Bill S.

EDIT: I came across this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Castle-Creat...3D170888374003 Any input ?
Last edited by VelocityRC; Mar 26, 2015 at 12:54 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM
Joined Jun 2003
1,469 Posts
Quote:
Question about BEC's. I need a small 6V 5A bec as compact as possible. Already looked at HK stuff any other suggestions ?

I am seeing UBEC and SBEC, Googled it but I need a clearer answer for 450 selection. Advise on that anyone ?

Bill S.
Hi Bill

As I understand it, the terms UBEC ( Ultimate Battery Eliminator Circuit) and Sbec (Switching BEC) are interchangeable, although the latter is more descriptive.
The BEC built in to the ESC is generally of the linear type. It works by reducing the supply voltage to radio voltage by effectively the electronic equivalent of a great big resistor.
Cuts the supply voltage down but loses the extra energy in the form of heat. That's why there is a limit on cells and current on esc's. Too high on either and loud pop, followed by heavy thud, followed by much harsh language.
Not good
UBEC, or SBEC works instead by chopping the supply voltage on and off at a certain rate. ( Anyone remember mark/space ratio?)
This is much the same as the esc works, but a set level, not adjustable.
The interrupted voltage is smoothed down to the required steady voltage for the radio.
This produces much less heat, but early units were prone to producing RF interference. Most of these now have shielded cases to avioid this.
So, which one?

Hobbyking do do one

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._for_Lipo.html

Used it myself, never had any issues.

Another one I have used is this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hobbywing-...item3f49b94e06

Very reliable for me, but might be a bit bulky on a 450.

Haven't got any dimensions for the Turnigy one, but your CC unit certainly seems a lot smaller than the Hobbywing one.

Unless anyone else knows different, CC do produce a reliable product, so I would be tempted to go for that one.

Then again, you could always throw the Align one at next door's cat, and fit a YEP 40 instead. 5a switching bec as standard, and the best soft start in the known universe (almost).

Cheers

Jeff
Old Yesterday, 07:56 PM
North Idaho
Joined Feb 2011
808 Posts
Thanks for the education BL.

"That's why there is a limit on cells and current on esc's. Too high on either and loud pop, followed by heavy thud, followed by much harsh language. Not good"

LOL You are so descriptive in your explanations, I love it. You create such a great mental picture you should be a painter.

The Align ESC that I have is working great as an ESC, and a BEC for that matter but it is older and looking up the specs today on the older stuff it appears to be designed for analog servos (DS410's) and has a 2A continuous current rating. First GEN 450 Pro. I have been using it with digital cyclics for 3 years and all has been good but I feel the addition of a FBL controller might put undue load on it. The soft start is great so I think I will go with the Castle 10A. I don't want a heavy thud and an O'Sh-T

My LHS has one in stock for $24.00 and they will set the BEC output voltage for me without having to buy the Castle Link to set it up, another $20.00. I will forget the ones on EBAY and support local business for the first time this year.

Happy Flying !!!

Bill S.
Last edited by VelocityRC; Yesterday at 08:02 PM.