You Can Dye Sails

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=502
dobydog6507 is offline Find More Posts by dobydog6507
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2014, 03:55 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,150 Posts
I have an article which "implies" you can decorate nylon ripstop sails using latex (water based) paint. The colors tend to stay translucent - and never really reach a solid color. Would suggest trying on some nylon ripstop first.
Dick L. is online now Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:55 AM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,103 Posts
I dyed the nylon sails of my first Seawind solid yellow with special dye made for nylon - the regular Rite dye sold in grocery stores won't do it.

It did make them yellow, but you have to soak them for several hours in the almost boiling water/dye and the bolt rope shrunk drastically as well as puckered them in several places. http://www.dharmatrading.com/dyes/dh...lnav=dyes.html

I would not do it again. If you want to dye them, first remove the bolt rope or other items that might shrink and soak them longer at a lower temperature than the directions give. As an alternative low temp method, you can extract the ink from a permanent marker by soaking the marker in solvent and then soak the sails in that.
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Aug 23, 2014, 04:03 AM
aurora, il.
Joined Aug 2009
208 Posts
I tried dye on sails with no luck at all, now I use Design master paint from Michel's, it is for painting silk flowers, after it dries you can't tell the sails have been painted, I cut stencils for the numbers, there is no bleeding of paint, the sails on my Soling where painted in 2004 and look good today
John R.
tbarjohn is online now Find More Posts by tbarjohn
Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM
Never Stop Learning
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Mar 2005
1,037 Posts
Painting the sail as you describe is a great idea. I will have to do some tests on samples to get it down first.

Thanks,

David
Jaguar22 is online now Find More Posts by Jaguar22
RCG Plus Member