HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:20 PM
Meridian, MS
Joined Apr 2007
144 Posts
Discussion
CP trainer opinions

I have been interested in helicopters for some time, and have several basic ones and a 450 size Belt CP undergoing some repairs at the moment. It was bought several years ago and I've recently gotten back into the hobby.

I am pretty comfortable with fixed pitch copters, including the flybarless MSRx and a large WLToys V913. I want to make the move to CP but don't think doing it with the Belt might be the best idea. I would like something to transition up to that and have a few options within my budget.

Option one would be a smaller sized trainer type helicopter used, primarily looking into a Blade SR RTF. These can be had on ebay for around $100. I realize they are discontinued and have some less than glowing reviews about the tail motor mainly, but I have also read some very positive reviews. I like the size for being large enough to be visible but small enough to fly in somewhat smaller areas. Parts are still readily available and very cheap. MIA also has some very affordable mods that I think would address some of the out of the box shortcomings of the SR.

Option two that I have been looking at seriously is the smaller WLtoys V977 micro heli. It is about a 110 size heli, with both 6 axis gyro mode and full cp mode as well. These are around $100 new and get very good reviews across the board. My attraction here is past experience with a V911, and the fact that the lighter the heli, the less damage in a crash and less expensive the repair bill. This could be a very good thing when it comes time to do any type of 3d practice I would think.

One other option is an Art-Tech Falcon. These are discontinued but can be located in RTF form for around $145. They don't seem to be as widespread and I haven't found nearly as much info on them.

I have spent many hours on Phoenix sim with various models there and am doing pretty well with the CP models. In other words I'm no expert but have more experience than someone coming from a dual rotor heli.

Please let me know what you think.
jimw1956 is offline Find More Posts by jimw1956
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:51 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,432 Posts
I think the Blade MCPX or Nano CPx are your best bets.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Aug 20, 2014, 12:51 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,908 Posts
T-mart has Super c/p w Devo 7e for $119.95 free shipping. Devo 7e is computer TX and can be flashed to fly Spectrum also. Clone do not have computer radio. Walkera set is readt to go. V977 is hard wired to be tame. Now this may be fine now but latter not so good. If you isnsist on clones Hisky is about the beat for knckoffs.
Blade helis are fine Mcp-x V2 is disc. but many for resale. Nano CP-X is nice bird but not a new to c/p heli. If you can fly a FBL f/p no problem. If you can fly Blade also has 130X/ Mcp-x bl. 130x is on sale now. at HH. Beware it has tail issues with plastic geras. Metal upgrades are not cheap.
Clonies are ok for mild need a toy to play with crowd. If you want to go to big stuff later you need a good reliable computer radio and not a Toy Mickey Mouse special. Blade helis have big plus as local hobby shops can get parts as all sell E-flte stuff. Walkear parts are available in several USA vendors.. I never had problem and have several older WK birds and still get parts. Even my V100D01 thats four years old still get parts for and was disc. over two yeras ago.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Aug 20, 2014, 07:52 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Sep 2013
128 Posts
I second Balr14's advise - get a (used) MCPX v1 or v2 off the classifieds here, and a (used) DX6i, or even something better like a DX8, if you can afford it.
The main advantage of these micros in my opinion is that you can fly them in your living room, which gives you plenty of time to practice. Anything bigger practically needs to be flown outdoors, and even if you have a large enough yard you still depend on the weather to be favorable, meaning low wind. These heli's can actually take quite a bit of wind, but as a beginner you won't want to deal with that.
getsuyoubi is offline Find More Posts by getsuyoubi
Old Aug 20, 2014, 07:56 AM
Ground Repeller
Singapore
Joined Jun 2014
255 Posts
Due to the higher cost of blade helis in my country, i would support the super cp that dankar04 has mentioned - its what i've been using for all basic training lessons before doing the same thing on the 450. But, that said, blade helis will be better since the spektrum tx can be used for larger helis as well once you've progressed past that point (the devo7e i have is only for micros and i use futaba for bigger helis).
ZeniethLily is offline Find More Posts by ZeniethLily
Old Aug 20, 2014, 09:35 AM
Meridian, MS
Joined Apr 2007
144 Posts
Thanks for the comments. I had not seen the super cp and the fact is I have ordered a V977. It looks like a fine heli for the money. I will say though that the super is brushed main motor where the 977 is brushless. It does have brushed tail motor but I have seen no complaints of problems with it. I'm not sure about it being "tame" once you take it to 3D mode in high rates, according to the in-depth review on rcgroups. I've seen a lot more radical flying with it on youtube than I will probably ever do. I understand it is quite tame in the 6G mode as would be expected, and is the purpose of that mode.
As far as the radio, I'm thinking of this as a learning tool as I already have a larger CP heli which will be set up with my Futaba 6EX when I feel comfortable transitioning to it. I think the radio will be adequate for the heli. I do sorely wish that the manufacturers would settle on a few standards for their transmitters instead of inventing a new protocol every time they introduce a new model though. I have about a room full of transmitters at this point.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:23 AM
Ground Repeller
Singapore
Joined Jun 2014
255 Posts
While the brushed motor sucks compared to the brushless, the lower headspeed does prevent alot of damage that would happen with the more powerful ones.. they are extremely cheap to replace too.. which is what i want for learning basics. All i ever do with the Super CP is hover and circles in a room, which was what i bought it for
ZeniethLily is offline Find More Posts by ZeniethLily
Old Aug 23, 2014, 04:08 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,908 Posts
Getting into c/p's is great hobby. clones use non computer TX and every make has different protocol. Blade Spectrum 6 ch+ flys all Blade helis/ Walkera has Devo. One TX 6 + plus will fly them all. WL toys buy RTF V922, TX wiil not work V977. Same heli but bl , same company but different protocol. Devo 10 flashed flys Walkera/ Blade/futaba others.
Flying c/p's is a blast and Blade/ Walkera you can go from tiny to large using same TX/ plus all Quads they make. WL Toys has five different protocols now haow crazy is that? One reason is other folks make their stuff and changes in tech used. Blade and Walkera make their birds to use one protocol.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:45 PM
Meridian, MS
Joined Apr 2007
144 Posts
I totally agree regarding the different transmitter protocols. Pretty soon I will have a room full of transmitters and have to buy batteries by the gross.
Old Yesterday, 08:20 AM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
3,782 Posts
I have a whole shelf of transmitters.
Steve_ is online now Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Yesterday at 11:29 AM.