Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 18, 2014, 11:46 AM
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined Jul 2014
15 Posts
Discussion
Best multi charger for a variety of batteries

Hello Guys!

Does anyone have an opinion who produces a multi charger for different types of batteries, or just a good charger recommendation for today's most popular batteries?

Thanks!
dwp7715 is offline Find More Posts by dwp7715
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2014, 11:54 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,837 Posts
I've been using the HobbyKing™ Quattro 4x6S Lithium Polymer Multi Charger for over a year with 150mah - 4000mah 1s-3s packs and have found it very satisfactory.

I leave the "JST-XH 3S Wire Extension 20cm (10pcs/bag)" connected to the charger and connect the pack to the extensions, thus preventing wear and tear on the charger sockets.

When I read "multi" I assumed you meant charging multiple packs at the same time but maybe you just meant a single port multi chemistry chemistry charger.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Aug 20, 2014, 03:09 PM
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined Jul 2014
15 Posts
Hi Hoppy!

You assumed right! Thanks for the suggestion, I will check the Quattro out.

Thanks again!
dwp7715 is offline Find More Posts by dwp7715
Old Aug 20, 2014, 03:19 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,629 Posts
I've been really enjoying my Revolectrix Dual PowerLab 8x2. I've used it to charge everything from 1s 650mAh to 7s 4400mAh LiPos. It works so well it's replaced all my other chargers. It's great to not have have to deal with having 5-6 different chargers on hand anymore.
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Aug 20, 2014, 03:31 PM
Joined Jul 2014
276 Posts
best bang 4 ur dollar...http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...uct=44112.html
ElectricMann is online now Find More Posts by ElectricMann
Old Aug 20, 2014, 05:54 PM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricMann View Post
Pinkaow(that was the sound of a bullet) +1
The Tug is online now Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Aug 21, 2014, 01:58 AM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,154 Posts
dwp7715,
What types of batteries do You have today and also plan to use in future?
Most modern chargers for our purpuse today can charge LiPo, LiIon, NiCd, NiMh, Pb batteries.
There are some high voltage LiPo today that can charge the cells to 4.35 volt and not all chargers can do that, but it is a rather special case - HobbyKing has a charger that can do that and many iChargers chargers can do it also.

I suppose You have some LiPo batteries and maybe that is the main purpuse to use the charger to charge LiPo?
What LiPo batteries do You have today and maybe plan to use in future (how many cell, how many mAh and how many C can they be charged at)? And how fast do You want to charge Your LiPo packs (at 1C, 2C, 3C etc, assuming they can be charged at desired current)?
Is a charger with dual channels so You can charge two batteries (of different type or different cells/mA) at same time OK or do You need a charger with 4 channels? It is possible to parallel charge with a parallel board on a charger with a single charge channel but the cell count in the packs must be same then before charging (and it is some more things to watch up for also).

As a general rule it is more flexible to use a separate charger and a separate power supply. Chargers with built in power supply has usually rather low watt.

What is Your total budget for a new charger (and power supply)?

It is tons to read in this forum already but You will get good suggestions in this thread I'm sure.

I use Hyperion EOS 720i SuperDuo 3 charger (dual channels) myself with Junsi S1200 (1200 watt) power supply because I have LiPo packs (4, 5 and 6 cells 5000 mAh) that I want to charge at 4C (and charge packs on both channels at same time) and need such rather powerful setup then.

There are many good chargers out there, low-mid-high end for different requirements and for different budgets.
If we know more about Your requirements and Your budget it will be easier to suggest solutions for You.

/Bo
bossee is offline Find More Posts by bossee
Last edited by bossee; Aug 21, 2014 at 02:21 AM.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:08 AM
United States, PA, Thorndale
Joined Jul 2014
6 Posts
I was wondering the same thing about a multi charger. I am looking for a single charger that can handle LiPo and NiMH and NiCd, etc. I was hoping to keep my budget below $200 if possible.
thesharkpond is online now Find More Posts by thesharkpond
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:22 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesharkpond View Post
I was wondering the same thing about a multi charger. I am looking for a single charger that can handle LiPo and NiMH and NiCd, etc. I was hoping to keep my budget below $200 if possible.
Do you have any additional requirements, like number of cells, max. current etc.

You can easily get a basic charger that will handle Lipo, NiMH and NiCd for less than $25 e.g. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...cessories.html

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Aug 21, 2014, 05:09 PM
Watching EKRAN
Joined Jul 2013
403 Posts
So parallel charging is not an option?
varis is offline Find More Posts by varis