HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2014, 03:26 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,240 Posts
Discussion
ESL ALES contest in NJ Aug 30 and 31 - who is going?

The South Jersey Silent Flyers is hosting two ESL ALES contests on Aug 30 and 31. I plan to be there. Anyone else planning to sign up?

SJSF has two fields. I understand this is their larger field.

http://www.flyesl.org/Contest.aspx?contestid=182
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Aug 11, 2014 at 03:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2014, 03:54 PM
United States, PA, Carlisle
Joined Oct 2011
286 Posts
It's the Strawberry Fields location off of Route 322 just outside of Mays Landing. Coming from Mays Landing, look for the Smokey Bear sign and turn right on to the sandy road. It's a nice turf runway airfield. John laid out the tapes on the runway last year. Plenty of open ground before you get to the trees. There are some areas that are not friendly to an off-field landing, so a motor run to save your model is recommended.

Dave
dreisinger is offline Find More Posts by dreisinger
Old Aug 11, 2014, 11:02 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,240 Posts
Yes, it seems every field has a few spots that one would rather not have to visit to get the glider.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 06:01 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,240 Posts
Need to find a motel in the area. Any suggestions?
Old Aug 16, 2014, 07:48 AM
Registered Thermal Junkie
Joined Sep 2008
3,429 Posts
Can only make Sunday because of work,but one day is better than none I suppose.

Mr. Anderson, this is in my backyard almost being a few minutes away but I never paid any attention to motels . I Googled motels for Mays Landing NJ and a good number came up, you'd
have to pick according to your need and wants.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 17, 2014, 11:21 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,240 Posts
Have not booked motel yet for Aug 30 contest. Bringing my wife. Need some place that is OK, perhaps the level of a Marriott Fairfield. Any suggestion? Closest Marriott I can find, where I can use my Marriott points, is the Fairfield in Vineland, about 35 minutes away

I see a number of other motels in the area but have no idea if any of them are safe, clean and reasonable.

Appreciate any help.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 05:15 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,240 Posts
I finally booked a room at that Fairfield in Vineland.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 05:59 PM
Maryland
Joined Dec 2002
392 Posts
John ran a great contest last year. Pretty low key. Last year was hot & very summer like. This year will be better. Great field! Plenty of birds to point to the lift if you are willing to go the distance.
Kerry
rc4fun is offline Find More Posts by rc4fun
Old Aug 18, 2014, 06:44 PM
United States, PA, Carlisle
Joined Oct 2011
286 Posts
I will try to be there for Saturday. Due to family obligations, that may the only day. I second what Kerry said. We had a really good time and the local members are good guys. Watch those birds across 322 circling the blueberry farm!

Dave
dreisinger is offline Find More Posts by dreisinger
Old Aug 18, 2014, 07:12 PM
Registered Thermal Junkie
Joined Sep 2008
3,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreisinger View Post
.................. Watch those birds across 322 circling the blueberry farm!

Dave
I think that's spot burning Dave
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2014, 08:26 AM
United States, NJ, Evesham Township
Joined Dec 2000
78 Posts
Just arrived on the thread. There are good venues and there are great ones. THIS is a soaring pilots dream. There is this blueberry farm across the highway that covers almost a square mile. Now blueberries are small plants and the berries were picked back in June and they are planted in sand. You know how hot sand gets in the summer - ever been to the beach? The wind usually comes from the SW in August, so it blows over the hot field to the launch area. It does cycle so there is a challenge, The flying field has no flight restrictions, and you can fly 2 miles downwind if you want. The grass strip runway that we use to launch from is 3700 feet long and the diagonal one is 2,700' The rest of the property is surrounded by trees and the source of cooler air. Down the road about 4.5 miles is food and beverages, Appleby's, Red Lobster, IHOP, Olive Garden, McDonalds, Habachi, Moe's Southwest Grill, Red Robin Burgers, Brick House Pub and Grill, and more at the Mall. Hotels unfortunatley ,are about 10 miles away, but that's the price of flying in boonies. Econo Lodges in Buena, and Hammonton are reasonable, The Plaza Motel a mile away is pretty sketchy -take your bug spray.
jwjenks is offline Find More Posts by jwjenks
Old Aug 19, 2014, 08:30 AM
United States, NJ, Evesham Township
Joined Dec 2000
78 Posts
Another reminder; We give trophies to First Place Experts. Mugs to the other finishers to drown their sorrows.
jwjenks is offline Find More Posts by jwjenks
Old Aug 19, 2014, 03:28 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,240 Posts
Looking forward to the contest John.

My wife is coming with me but will probably steal my car and head for the mall during the contest. If any other ladies happen to be along and want to join her she would probably welcome the company.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 05:25 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,240 Posts
John,

Those are nice trophies. You should post a photo.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 06:48 PM
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,148 Posts
John Gallagher is offline Find More Posts by John Gallagher
Last edited by John Gallagher; Yesterday at 01:25 PM.