Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 02, 2014, 02:37 PM
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Aug 2010
1,095 Posts
Discussion
RCG Gas Engines by HK

I know a number of people who have used RCGF engines, but has anyone used the RCG gas engines that Hobby King sells? I am looking for an inexpensive 15cc gas engine to put on a Sig Four Star 60 that was given to me. I want to keep the cost down on this as it will be a "kick around" plane. The only reviews I've seen are on Hobby Kings's website, so I wanted to get more opinions here.

By the way, if anyone has other suggestions for a 15cc gasser, I'm willing to entertain ideas. Just have to keep the cost low.

David
Cub Flyer Fresno is offline Find More Posts by Cub Flyer Fresno
Last edited by Cub Flyer Fresno; Jul 02, 2014 at 03:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2014, 03:03 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,362 Posts
I have two RCGF Gasoline jobs .. one is smashed unfortunately as I had a servo failure while inverted above tarmac !

Skymaster 5 nov 2011 crash.wmv (5 min 11 sec)

(Note my initial comment about wrong way on sticks is wrong .. analysis of video and gear after showed it was an elevator servo failure .... )

Verdict ? Excellent engine but heavy when replacing a 60 Glow ... Throttling and general very good. I was in fact surprised at how tractable it was.
She does need a rich needle though for quite a while for running in and do NOT skimp on the 2T oil. Use a good TA grade (Air-Cooled engine grade as against TW which is water cooled) ... and mixed as the manual says ... No low % oil mixes please.

I found the needles needed a slight turn out from the box and it fired up a treat. Takes a bit to get the fuel through to the carb ... so instead of the prop pendulum works that many do - I just put the starter on her and she's away in secs.

One annoying factor and this applies to most gasoline engines - the CDi unit - the plug is factory fitted and needs a big hole to pass through. I wish they would leave the plug of and we fit it AFTER installation so only a small hole be needed ...

I plan on putting my second one in a 71" Ultrawatt ... plan and thread on here ...

Overall ? Good engine, good throttling, but a bit noisy !! Needs a better quieter and better orientated silencer.

The model was repaired and I fitted an ASP61 in it while waiting for replacement 15cc ... in fact it flew so well on the 61 - I never swapped it out !! The new 15cc is ready for that Ultrawatt ...

Here's same model recently at Cirava ... with the 61 .. first 5 mins - I had to keep clear of the flight line while larger Sukhoi's and Sbachs were having their play !

Cirava 05 April 2014 Skymaster 002 (11 min 18 sec)

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Last edited by solentlife; Jul 02, 2014 at 03:24 PM.
Old Jul 02, 2014, 03:30 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,095 Posts
I'm asking about the RCG, not the RCGF. The RCG engines are even cheaper... or should I say... less expensive. That's what I want to find out, are the RCG's just inexpensive or are they cheap.
Old Jul 02, 2014, 03:38 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
One annoying factor and this applies to most gasoline engines - the CDi unit - the plug is factory fitted and needs a big hole to pass through. I wish they would leave the plug of and we fit it AFTER installation so only a small hole be needed ...
You know, you bring up a good point there. When I was a kid, a lawn mower engine had a little clip for a connection to the spark plug, not a big cap. Why does the cap have to be so big on these little gassers? Could they not be made smaller? Maybe not, just asking.

David
Old Jul 02, 2014, 03:44 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub Flyer Fresno View Post
I'm asking about the RCG, not the RCGF. The RCG engines are even cheaper... or should I say... less expensive. That's what I want to find out, are the RCG's just inexpensive or are they cheap.
As far as I see - the RCG is the RCGF ... they've just left the F of the name ...

The write up for the 15cc is exact same as always was for the RCGF ... read the reviews ....... they quote the RCGF ............

The CHEAPER engines on HK are the FTL series ... TGG series .... HP series and TR's ... basically labelled Turnigy.

Nigel
Old Jul 02, 2014, 06:00 PM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,813 Posts
Quote:
You know, you bring up a good point there. When I was a kid, a lawn mower engine had a little clip for a connection to the spark plug, not a big cap. Why does the cap have to be so big on these little gassers? Could they not be made smaller? Maybe not, just asking.

David
Probably because of all the idiots who grabbed hold of that little clip and got the buhjeezus shocked out of them. LOL Now they put the plastic cap on there to protect us from ourselves.
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Jul 02, 2014, 07:17 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,095 Posts
Quote:
As far as I see - the RCG is the RCGF ... they've just left the F of the name ...

The write up for the 15cc is exact same as always was for the RCGF ... read the reviews ....... they quote the RCGF ............

The CHEAPER engines on HK are the FTL series ... TGG series .... HP series and TR's ... basically labelled Turnigy.

Nigel
That was my thought, drop a letter and lower the price. Yeah, there service probably won't be much if anything, but maybe I'll give it a try for the heck of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsPop View Post
Probably because of all the idiots who grabbed hold of that little clip and got the buhjeezus shocked out of them. LOL Now they put the plastic cap on there to protect us from ourselves.
Ya know, I remember doing that once when I was a kid. Funny thing is, I never did it again, once was enough. Hmmm...
Old Jul 02, 2014, 10:56 PM
Gas Only
USA So. Cal.
Joined Sep 2010
1,052 Posts
You guys can't be serious can you?
If you are then you shouldn't be thinking about flying gas engines. If you are pulling chains, I hope no poor uninformed soul out there takes you seriously, it will have disastrous results. Oh well, have fun but think about who may read and believe this stuff.
Fokker DII is online now Find More Posts by Fokker DII
Old Jul 02, 2014, 11:55 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fokker DII View Post
You guys can't be serious can you?
If you are then you shouldn't be thinking about flying gas engines. If you are pulling chains, I hope no poor uninformed soul out there takes you seriously, it will have disastrous results. Oh well, have fun but think about who may read and believe this stuff.
?? Who kicked you in the nuts ?

To be quite honest - I hope those who do read this thread pay the requisite attention to you ! NOT !

As a user of the 15 and also of gasoline and glow for over 45yrs ............ I may have some little knowledge to impart ...

I notice that you add nothing to the thread except sarcasm.

Nigel
Old Jul 03, 2014, 12:01 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,362 Posts
Quote:
That was my thought, drop a letter and lower the price. Yeah, there service probably won't be much if anything, but maybe I'll give it a try for the heck of it.
I have had very good service from HK .. replacement gear ... help when things weren't working etc.
The engine is good ... I'm very happy with it.
As you see in the video - it starts easy ... I will point out that she was well primed at that time.

Nigel
Old Jul 03, 2014, 12:35 AM
supreme being of leisure
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
2,208 Posts
i've been removing and reinstalling the 3W style plug caps for 15 years without a problem but i'm an actual model builder....most of the guys flying gas these days are sports equipment consumers, tell them they have to actually install the cap themselves and they'd have a fit. just take a look over at FG for proof.....i think you can actually get reported over there for posting anything too technical.
ZAGNUT is offline Find More Posts by ZAGNUT
Old Jul 03, 2014, 05:40 AM
United Kingdom, Wales, Swansea
Joined Aug 2012
537 Posts
Quote:

Nigel
I came across AGN engines, very inexpensive DLE clones by the look of them. Worth a look?
FlyBoy20 is offline Find More Posts by FlyBoy20
Old Jul 03, 2014, 10:10 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy20 View Post
I came across AGN engines, very inexpensive DLE clones by the look of them. Worth a look?
Hey FlyBoy20, where did you find these? Can you post a link? I'm not finding them. (Of course I haven't tried that hard yet, I'm at work. )
Old Jul 03, 2014, 11:26 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,362 Posts
Zagnut ...

Quote:
i've been removing and reinstalling the 3W style plug caps for 15 years without a problem but i'm an actual model builder.....
Fair do's ............. I appreciate that and know it's possible. I have considered it many times.

My point is that I think it might have been an idea to make it a user installed item from the start. The plug on model engine CDi units I have handled .. are permanent fixed - not so easily de-mounted.

Nigel
Old Jul 03, 2014, 12:11 PM
supreme being of leisure
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
2,208 Posts
the 3W, DA, RCEXL and all the other clones of these caps are easy to take off, not permanent at all. you just need to have some shrink tube on hand to put them back on, doesn't have to be the kind with heat activated glue inside either.
ZAGNUT is offline Find More Posts by ZAGNUT