Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 23, 2013, 09:45 AM
United States, UT, Herriman
Joined Jan 2012
1,970 Posts
Discussion
Multirotors....

I know we have a few in the crew that fly them. I keep thinking I want to build one. Anyone local that flys them want to comment on what's good/bad? I'm not real interested in doing FPV with them, at the moment. I'd be more interested in mild acrobatic capability and small area flying (back yard, etc.).

I'd prefer to build, rather than buy RTF. I just like building and tinkering. My current thought is a DJI 450 clone frame, or maybe a 330, just because it looks like they are big enough to use my existing lipos (3s 1600mAh) to keep costs down. And I figure I can re-use the motors/escs on CTH planes if I decide I don't like flying it.
ttabbal is online now Find More Posts by ttabbal
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:07 PM
Design, Build, and Fly
Pleasant Grove, Utah
Joined Nov 2001
379 Posts
The main advantage of any multicopter, (verses a full collective/cyclic helicopter), is simplicity and durability, and a different style of stability. When I stood on the edge of the decision: Multicopter or Helicopter? I choose the multicopter route seeing that you can build VTOL aircraft with them and you don't cry much when you crash them. The loss in taking this path is no efficient flight, ability to fly upside down, or auto-rotation abillity. Of course, crashing a multicopter is, at the worst, only two, maybe three motor shafts or bells bent, and possibly a new frame. Helicopter: New drive shaft, blades, tail rotor maybe ... everything.

If you're going for aerobatic capability, Warthox has to be the best example of what you can do. Helicopters: Alan Szabo Jr. . Look up both pilots on google. You'll see that helicopters are really where it is at for wild moves, but multicopters are not far behind, depends on your tastes.

To more fully answer you question on the good/bad, multicopters are definitely doable in the tightest of areas, including in your living room. Not sure if a Trex 450 can match that. Also possible to construct protective bumpers around the rotors. Flight time is probably about 60% to 80% of a helicopter using the same battery, respectively. Tuning and programming are two features that you much become comfortable with: You need a laptop probably, or a flight controller with an onboard LCD screen and buttons to configure PIDs. Much more mobile, especially the tricopter variants with folding arms. Maneuverability: I've built both tri's and quads, quads are more aerobatic and stable in the transverse flight regime.

Is this synopsis about what you're looking for? Any other questions?
KatanaGuy is offline Find More Posts by KatanaGuy
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:14 PM
Design, Build, and Fly
Pleasant Grove, Utah
Joined Nov 2001
379 Posts
Well, I guess you learn something new every day:
mwc quad // ultraesc 3d #3 (1 min 45 sec)

Appearently, Warthox has figured out a way to do inverted flight with a multicopter, gotta see how he is doing this.
KatanaGuy is offline Find More Posts by KatanaGuy
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:59 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,970 Posts
Thanks KatanaGuy! That's some great info... And inverted? WTH?

Warthox videos were one of the reasons I got more interested in multis. I know I won't approach that level for a LONG time, if ever, but it's cool to see what is possible.

I considered regular helis, but I think multis are more my style. There are so many options it's hard to figure things out though. I ran across this guy's stuff, http://www.armattanquads.com/Blog/cn...me-quadcopter/ ... It looks really nice, a little more than I was looking to spend, but it looks like a decent option with the extra durability.

I thought of this frame as well: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ame_330mm.html

It looks like a decent starter frame, while not as strong, it's a lot cheaper, so buying 2 for spare parts is a decent option. The shipping cost makes it pretty close to the Armattan setup though, when comparing the full setup.

Do you have any other options you would recommend I check out?
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:30 PM
United States, UT, Cottonwood Heights
Joined Mar 2012
177 Posts
These are pretty sweet and tuff too...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1867857
tstrike is offline Find More Posts by tstrike
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:54 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstrike View Post
These are pretty sweet and tuff too...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1867857
Those look nice as well. Things to think about.