HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:06 PM
Col. Foameister
ohio
Joined Jan 2010
47 Posts
Question
Starmax GeeBee R3 Anyone build one yet?

I just assembled a 55 in w/s foam Gee Bee R-3 and was having a fit attaching the flying wires with the 16 little springs that have no way to attach to the pylons and the instructions are so vague and tiny, I can't make heads or tails out of them. The flying wires are actually steel rods and I'm not sure if they are functional or just for looks. Seems like a sturdy enough airframe, and around 4 lbs with the 14.8 lipo on board. All I could get on google was a guy speaking French and did not show any of the assembly, and that stunk. Any body with a bit of info would be a great help-that manual sure wasn't.
polevaulter is offline Find More Posts by polevaulter
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:10 PM
United States, PA, East Stroudsburg
Joined Jan 2011
101 Posts
I set one up a few months ago, , it seemed a little slow (for a GeeBee racer type) to me on 4s, so I used a ZTW 85A ESC & running it on a 5s, that's a nice combo. So far it's been pretty good, rolls, loops fine & sharp but it seems to 'wander" a bit in straight level flight, I think possibly the rudder servo on mine may not be up to the task but I haven't replaced it yet as it's too cold in Pa to fly (for me anyway).
I don't think the wires on the top of the wing really assist structurally but the ones on the lower side do, they definitely strengthen up the LG, I fly off a fairly rough grass field & it's been pretty solid so far w/the exception of the wires popping off on the bottom periodically, I was lucky as every time 1 did I found it!, I solved that by putting shrink wrap on the springs where they connect to the wires & either shrink wrap the wire onto the wing/gear (touchy as foam burns & plastic melts LOL!) or close the end of the spring w/pliers or they'll continuously come off.
They're not real hard to put on, put the end of the spring wire thru the brackets in the wings &/or LG then put the other end of the spring thru 1 of the loops of the wire, put the other spring on opposite end of the wire & then into the corresponding bracket on the plane but as I said be sure to either shrink wrap the connections from the spring onto the wire & either shrink wrap the spring onto the bracket or use pliers to close up the end of the spring wire that goes thru the bracket or you'll be losing the wires all the time.
willyp is offline Find More Posts by willyp
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:26 PM
Col. Foameister
ohio
Joined Jan 2010
47 Posts
Thanks for the shrink wrap idea, I just couldn't figure out how the springs were supposed to hook to the wheel pants brackets (too small to attach) so I drilled 2 small 1/32 holes in the brackets and that seemed to work. You are going with a 5 cell 18.5 lipo? Will the stock motor and prop be able to handle it or did you go with something else.
Thanks willyp for the reply-I live here in Ohio, so probably got the same weather to contend with as you--cant wait to maiden this great looking gee bee, but nicer days are just around the corner.
polevaulter is offline Find More Posts by polevaulter
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:39 PM
Joined Nov 2008
215 Posts
Well I live in Pittsburgh PA area I guess there are only 3 people with this plane and all happen to be in this area of the world or is there another forum thread for it?

I just got mine today and I noticed it has the same motor and ESC as my Starmax 63" Cessna which is quite heavier and flies great. However the propeller moved from 3 blade 12x7 to what looks like a 2-blade 13x8" for the GeeBee

I now have 3 GeeBeeS

Mini StarMax GeeBee
Dynam Geebee
Starmax Geebee R3

If it flies even half has well as the Dynam's I'd bee happy.
fbitz777 is offline Find More Posts by fbitz777
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:35 PM
Joined Nov 2008
215 Posts
Got to fly mine today with a 4s 3330mah battery..uneventful (as hoped)

Got more than 11minutes of flight and that was with lots of aerobatics.

A few issues:

Even with the battery all way back as the strap allows the CG is 10mm forward of the 108mm specified. I had to trimm elevator up slightly to make up for that. Not sure it is even possible to get back to 108mm. Maybe with a 2200mah battery which I will try tomorrow.

I did not have any of the guy wires and springs in place as I did not see how structurally they'd help... On third landing I ripped the LG (easy to glue back) so I think it is possible that these wires would have helped!

Definitely a Sweet Plane and quite quick. Could use more power (thrust/weight is less than 1) for verticals.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 10:13 PM
Joined Apr 2013
2 Posts
I built this plane a few weeks ago and had maiden flight just last weekend. I was shocked at how easy it took off and landed. Has a very different flit characteristic, as it performs more of a knifes edge on turns more than it banks. Actually pretty cool looking.

Te build was a bit different as well. The landing gear attached sort of weird. Seems it would not hold up if the landing happened to be a bit rough. So far so good though.

The wires were a it of a challenge, but I eventually got them on. The bottom wires came off after each landing, but easily reattached. I will need to close the loops better on the ends.

If it ever goes down there will be problems finding parts. Bught mine through Value Hobby, it they don't carry any parts at all. Only the prop.
Skywolf64 is offline Find More Posts by Skywolf64
Old Apr 26, 2013, 08:12 AM
Joined Nov 2008
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywolf64 View Post
I built this plane a few weeks ago and had maiden flight just last weekend. I was shocked at how easy it took off and landed. Has a very different flit characteristic, as it performs more of a knifes edge on turns more than it banks. Actually pretty cool looking.

Te build was a bit different as well. The landing gear attached sort of weird. Seems it would not hold up if the landing happened to be a bit rough. So far so good though.

The wires were a it of a challenge, but I eventually got them on. The bottom wires came off after each landing, but easily reattached. I will need to close the loops better on the ends.

If it ever goes down there will be problems finding parts. Bught mine through Value Hobby, it they don't carry any parts at all. Only the prop.
I have about 20 flights on it now and almost every time the LG gives up. Easily re-glued. Note I did not install any of the wires

My thinking was that I'd rather rip the LG than damage the wing at landing. I am thinking of looking at maybe a rubber glue between LG and wing or maybe a shock absorber.

I am getting better and when I land on a very smooth surface I tend to land smoother and not break anything

Great plane for the price at ValueHobby. Hobby King has it too but again no spares. I am surprised there is not more interest in that plane

There are other threads on that plane as I remember from last year.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1693927
Last edited by fbitz777; Apr 26, 2013 at 08:20 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:53 PM
Joined Apr 2013
2 Posts
FBitz, have you done any mods to your GeeBee R3 at all? Like, ESC/motor upgrades, or to the LG?

I purchased 2 more of the GeeBees in case I ever lose any. No more being made, looks like. And no parts anywhere. Too great of a value to ever risk not getting another.
Skywolf64 is offline Find More Posts by Skywolf64