Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:46 AM
Joined Jul 2012
5 Posts
Discussion
fresh out the pack

Hi all

thanks for looking at my thread. as a newbie to the whole rc flying scene my Question was i just took delivery of a new lipo batt and i was wondering do they come pre charged??? or should i put in on my charger???

thanks

steve
steve_sco is offline Find More Posts by steve_sco
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:02 AM
Commerce Township, MI
Joined Aug 2001
4,384 Posts
Charge it, maybe, but not if you are not going to use it right now. Hopefully it was delivered with a resting voltage of about 3.85v per cell and it needs to be charged before use. DO NOT charge it if you are not going to use it right away. Leave it like it is.
Ken Myers is offline Find More Posts by Ken Myers
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:07 AM
Joined Jul 2012
5 Posts
thank youm

thanks for the quick reply

i will probably leave it for a bit as its for a new foam edf jet i just put together and im still practicing with my super cub.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:20 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_sco View Post
thanks for the quick reply

i will probably leave it for a bit as its for a new foam edf jet i just put together and im still practicing with my super cub.
If I may make a recommendation, put the foam jet on the shelf until you have more experience. A foam jet, no matter what Banana Hobby says, is NOT a good beginner's airplane. I say that because of your statement about "still practicing with a Super Cub". A jet flies MUCH faster than a Super Cub, has zero self-recovering tendencies, and does not have prop blast air over the control surfaces. Going from a Super Cub to a jet is like stepping out of a Pinto on a residential street and strapping into a Ferrari on the German autobahn.

It will be a fine 3rd plane but I highly recommend you buy something more suitable as a 2nd plane... something like a low-wing airplane that is more maneuverable and a little faster than your Super Cub, but still retains some stability and durability. It will allow you to continue to hone your skills without pushing you too far out of your comfort zone.

It's your money and you can do what you want, I respect that, I'm only trying to help. Good luck.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:22 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,354 Posts
I'll second what Mike_Then said. Even when flying nice they are very touchy on the sticks and require lots of expo. I've had two foam edf jets and both died on their maiden flights. The first one even though it was balanced where they said to balance it took all the up elevator to keep it level, then a sudden tail wind pushed the tail up and down it went. The second one flew nice till I tried a tight loop then it stalled and there was no recovering it as it went into a fast spin into the ground.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:47 PM
Joined Jul 2012
5 Posts
thanks

thanks for the reply guys, I know what you are saying, It was a impulse buy i guess. My super cub spent a week in a tree not to long ago so i do know i need more flight time. Do you think some thing like a p-51 or spitfire would be a good choice for a second plane?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:04 PM
Joined Sep 2012
34 Posts
New batteries are sent out with just a storage charge. Chances are if you used one as is it might get below the safe remaining charge level of the battery.

You should always check the voltages present on new batteries for each cell upon arrival. If you get a dud it may be easier to deal with the situation then rather than later.
barrymore is offline Find More Posts by barrymore
Old Sep 19, 2012, 02:18 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,354 Posts
Quote:
thanks for the reply guys, I know what you are saying, It was a impulse buy i guess. My super cub spent a week in a tree not to long ago so i do know i need more flight time. Do you think some thing like a p-51 or spitfire would be a good choice for a second plane?
Typically warbirds are not easy to fly. Personally if you want a warbird I would get a T-28 Trojan. I've seen the ParkZone full size (not UMX) one do an inverted harrier. It's easy flying but surprisingly capable.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Sep 19, 2012, 02:55 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
Quote:
It would be ok, but not in the sense of "not to long ago my SC spent a week up a tree". Get comfortable on the Cub. When you can take off fly the pattern and do some figure 8's and land comfortably, then think about moving to a warbird. They fly much differently.

As for batteries lipo's are generally sent to your door with a storage charge.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:22 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
Typically warbirds are not easy to fly. Personally if you want a warbird I would get a T-28 Trojan. I've seen the ParkZone full size (not UMX) one do an inverted harrier. It's easy flying but surprisingly capable.
This. Warbirds aren't the best choice for a 2nd plane either. They have higher wing loadings as well as higher stall speeds. The exception to that of course is the PZ T-28, like grimbeaver said, if you have to have a warbird. I've trained a few people on them. Not the ideal trainer, but they fly relatively slow (compared to other planes) and are durable as hell.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member