HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2012, 12:54 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bm2thirsty View Post
haha, thanks for that, by keeping the story short i figured i'd leave that part out...but yes i was trying to race around the light poles like i was pylon racing (by myself)

(noob mistake 1!)

boats
That sounds like a politicians answer!
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2012, 08:42 PM
in the beginning...
United States, MO, De Soto
Joined Mar 2012
475 Posts
So for the update...

Took it out for its test flight after the damage and it flew like a, well like a CHAMP! i had to trim it 2 or 3 clicks, but she's flyin straight and true! Big weight off my shoulders now, 1st rc plane, 1st major wreck, i just assumed it wasnt gonna fly again...i know its nothing compared to some crashes, but it stings a little more when it was caused by stupidity

thanks for the help,
boats
bm2thirsty is offline Find More Posts by bm2thirsty
Old May 01, 2012, 09:19 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1 Posts
The Champ is my first plane as well, and I got over zealous and whacked a tree that was actually behind me. I cracked the wing clean off just like you did, and when I went to order a replacement (since my non foam safe CA melted my attempt to glue the joint), found they were all backordered.

I made a replacement out of some foam from chicken packaging that you get at the supermarket. 'Chicken Wing', while a little worse for wear (missing landing gear from an encounter with a pin oak), still flies magnificently! I attached the new wings with rubber bands to make any future incidents a little less harsh.
jpyzza is offline Find More Posts by jpyzza
Old May 01, 2012, 09:47 PM
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
That is how to recycle!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2012, 09:59 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Feb 2005
40 Posts
Don't feel bad. I am sure there are a lot of people with Champ #2 in their collection. Some may have even taken #1 out during really windy weather and found a tree about half a football field away no where near the vicinity he/she was flying. At least that is what I have heard
neff2k is offline Find More Posts by neff2k
Old May 02, 2012, 08:53 AM
Joined Jul 2011
19 Posts
I too have flown my champ in wind that seemed very light. Well the Champ is even lighter and it quickly became a kite. Chased it out of the park and down the street. It gently settled to earth in a front yard 2 houses away.

So far no crashes. Have been starting to practice loops. Range tested it last night and it was out of range from the stock radio at 150 yards away. Just info for new flyers.
AMGBullitt is offline Find More Posts by AMGBullitt
Old May 02, 2012, 09:21 AM
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
Guy at one of our non sanctioned spots has a Champ, put a spekkie rx in it and uses a DX8, he has had it so high that if you blinked you lost it. He had someone range it with a laser range finder, 1/2 mile (so he claims). I know I have seen him fly it and it was every bit of out of sight.
RCG Plus Member