HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 11, 2012, 07:26 AM
Registered User
wblacker's Avatar
USA, VA, Fort Belvoir
Joined Jun 2008
431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
I don't know if it's possible with those servo arms, but it looks like if you remove them and back them up about one or two teeth on the output shaft then the hole would be at a 90 degree angle to the shaft and should work fine. It doesn't matter what the shape of the arm is as long as the hole winds up at a right angle. Or if the carbon arm is mounted to the stock arm with screws just take it loose and turn it to the correct angle and remount or redrill the holes and screw it
back down. If this dosn't give you the throw you need then you need to make sure your radio is set for
maximum travel or get longer arm extensions or maybe Dubro makes longer servo arms that will work.
I just went back and looked at the pictures again and noticed that the horn on the aileron seems to be really offset compared to the servo position. Something just doesn't seem right here. Once the servo and linkage is all setup it should form as close to a right angle as possible when at neutral.
You are correct Sir, The aileron is dry fitted and not lined up correctly. I was looking at the arms and my options. I am going to drill a hole mid arm and cut the end off. I am also going to use rod connector on bath ends. I noticed some slop developing with the z bend connector. Thank you for your keen eye.
wblacker is offline Find More Posts by wblacker
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2012, 09:10 AM
They Call him Dead!
YellowJacketsRC's Avatar
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by long leng View Post
doc......lol, thx

forget hs 65 and such anywhere around.
People are using HS 65's??? That could not possibly be enough except MAYBE on the ailerons, MAYBE...

Long Leng, You gonna get another one?
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2012, 09:22 AM
PA Team Pilot
mtwargo's Avatar
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2008
1,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wblacker View Post
You are correct Sir, The aileron is dry fitted and not lined up correctly. I was looking at the arms and my options. I am going to drill a hole mid arm and cut the end off. I am also going to use rod connector on bath ends. I noticed some slop developing with the z bend connector. Thank you for your keen eye.
By the way guys, the one thing I can really tell you about how to improve the flight performance from the HK high performance 3d planes like the slick and dominatrix. If you spend just a few dollars to buy heavier pushrods and ball links for linkages, you will remove any slop in the system. You will then have full performance of your servo setup. Surface centering, blowback and loose connections resolve themselves and you will be much happier with the performance.
mtwargo is offline Find More Posts by mtwargo
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2012, 09:23 AM
PA Team Pilot
mtwargo's Avatar
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2008
1,382 Posts
I have to say though... I never modified anythng for the videos except for 2 cf tubes on tail pushrods.
mtwargo is offline Find More Posts by mtwargo
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2012, 09:27 AM
They Call him Dead!
YellowJacketsRC's Avatar
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtwargo View Post
I have to say though... I never modified anythng for the videos except for 2 cf tubes on tail pushrods.
CF tubes? Did you slide them over the push rods?
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:34 AM
PA Team Pilot
mtwargo's Avatar
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2008
1,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead View Post
CF tubes? Did you slide them over the push rods?
yes... put glue over the rod, the slide the tube over it... You can also wrap the rod in thread, soak with epoxy or ca, then put shrink wrap on it. Stiffens it up.
mtwargo is offline Find More Posts by mtwargo
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:47 AM
They Call him Dead!
YellowJacketsRC's Avatar
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtwargo View Post
yes... put glue over the rod, the slide the tube over it... You can also wrap the rod in thread, soak with epoxy or ca, then put shrink wrap on it. Stiffens it up.
thanks
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:53 AM
Registered User
United States, NJ, Clayton
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtwargo View Post
By the way guys, the one thing I can really tell you about how to improve the flight performance from the HK high performance 3d planes like the slick and dominatrix. If you spend just a few dollars to buy heavier pushrods and ball links for linkages, you will remove any slop in the system. You will then have full performance of your servo setup. Surface centering, blowback and loose connections resolve themselves and you will be much happier with the performance.
does hobby king sell ball links and fully threaded rod? I know if you buy Dubro ball links here in the states, they are fantastic, but cost more then a couple bucks....
keithy4129 is offline Find More Posts by keithy4129
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2012, 12:36 PM
PA Team Pilot
mtwargo's Avatar
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2008
1,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithy4129 View Post
does hobby king sell ball links and fully threaded rod? I know if you buy Dubro ball links here in the states, they are fantastic, but cost more then a couple bucks....
I really don't know what they have... just look on their site. Remember, I just fly for them...

I am pretty sure they would though...
mtwargo is offline Find More Posts by mtwargo
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2012, 12:39 PM
PA Team Pilot
mtwargo's Avatar
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2008
1,382 Posts
NOt sure if these are the right size... but cheap... Just make sure you get small ones.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...%5Fset%5F.html
mtwargo is offline Find More Posts by mtwargo
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2012, 12:47 PM
Tree Trimmer
bonner's Avatar
alex va.
Joined Oct 2008
574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
I don't know if it's possible with those servo arms, but it looks like if you remove them and back them up about one or two teeth on the output shaft then the hole would be at a 90 degree angle to the shaft and should work fine. It doesn't matter what the shape of the arm is as long as the hole winds up at a right angle. Or if the carbon arm is mounted to the stock arm with screws just take it loose and turn it to the correct angle and remount or redrill the holes and screw it
back down. If this dosn't give you the throw you need then you need to make sure your radio is set for
maximum travel or get longer arm extensions or maybe Dubro makes longer servo arms that will work.
I just went back and looked at the pictures again and noticed that the horn on the aileron seems to be really offset compared to the servo position. Something just doesn't seem right here. Once the servo and linkage is all setup it should form as close to a right angle as possible when at neutral.
Don't know why the the extension arms are so curved. The servos are at their center point in the pictures. Hate to change the servos travel with sub trim or by moving the the arm a couple of clicks just to center the end of the arm. That would restrict the travel of the servo in one direction. Oh well, we will figure it out.
bonner is offline Find More Posts by bonner
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2012, 01:39 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
JetPlaneFlyer's Avatar
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,463 Posts
They are curved so that if you used a clevis onto the arm it wouldn't bind at extreme rearward travel (rearward as in away from the surface it's operating). If you don't use a clevis then it's not an issue. To centre the horn cant you just move it a spline or two?
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2012, 05:42 PM
3D Wannabe
NJSwede's Avatar
United States, NJ, Mendham Township
Joined Jul 2011
837 Posts
Ok. Really, you had me at "mtwargo". I'm pulling the trigger on this puppy. The reason I'm not getting the 3DHS version is that I suck too bad and I'm afraid to crash a $240 air frame.

I have a suitable motor and ESC on my bench already (Turnigy 3548 700kv and a HK 60A ESC), so I'll just use that. The question is servos. I'm fed up with so-so servos making my already questionable flying technique even worse. So I'm thinking HS85MGs on this one. Unless there's a REALLY comparable alternative that's a lot cheaper. Any takers, or should I just bit the bullet and pay more for servos than the air frame?
NJSwede is online now Find More Posts by NJSwede
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2012, 05:55 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
JetPlaneFlyer's Avatar
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,463 Posts
Pontius,

You didnt even wait for my report

If buying servos I'd go with these: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...1kg_16sec.html

They are just re-labelled Savox SH-0255MG servos, they out perform the 85MG's in both torque and speed, plus they will drop straight in whereas the 85MG's will need the holes opening up.
The only reason I didn't get these servos with my Slick is because I already have some servos that should do the job and I wanted to keep the cost down.. I'm now wondering if I should have stumped up the cash because good servos can make or break a plane (literally)
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2012, 06:28 PM
PA Team Pilot
mtwargo's Avatar
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2008
1,382 Posts
JUst for the record guys... I was just sent a 48 inch superlight edge.. It is being built right now. I should have a video by the end of the week. So for all those interested in its performance...
mtwargo is offline Find More Posts by mtwargo
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product HK DuraFly Micro Slick 360 2S - Official Thread will3d4food Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 873 Aug 16, 2014 11:36 AM
Discussion Official Hobbyking 720p HD Camera Thread jaskel FPV Equipment 520 Aug 13, 2014 10:58 PM
New Product Turnigy SLICK 3D 1.3M -HOBBYKING Official Build Thread will3d4food 3D Flying 1975 Jul 17, 2014 07:40 AM
Build Log The Official Raven 3M build thread has begun. Windependence Sailplane Talk 1554 Jun 30, 2014 04:43 PM
Discussion Official-Twisted Hobbys Extra Slick 32" Slickinsaneness Build/Fly Thread Tom K. 3D Foamies 1322 Jun 09, 2014 03:13 AM