HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:42 PM
United Kingdom, England, Consett
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
Pretty much all the parts on the V929 are usable on the MQX, as someone has stated it's only the centre hub that's really any different.

I've bought a full set of V929 landing gear for mine as it was the same price to buy 4 of them that 1 MQX replacement.

I also think you can buy the booms with the wire pre-installed....I hope so anyway as I am one of the worst people in the world when it comes to soldering and those wires are tiny!

Next time anything breaks on my MQX i'm just gonna buy a BNF V929 and stick the centre hub and board back on ebay, all told it'll probably cost me about 16 or so for a full set of spare parts.
ColSonders is offline Find More Posts by ColSonders
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:56 PM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor Charter Township
Joined Mar 2012
1,158 Posts
Nice!
And I had the same idea of grabbing a BNF 929 for $32ish for parts for mine as well.
N8LBV is offline Find More Posts by N8LBV
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:03 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,158 Posts
Odd unexpected item of the day:
Here's a fun shot (high in fiber & good for you).
This is a slice of about 1/4 of a peeled away piece from an mQX carbon arm.
I ran current through a small section of it (around 30amps) getting it yellow-hot and burning away all of the resin or binder that is used (I'm curious how they bind that stuff).
As you can see they pack a LOT of fiber in there!! this would have been 4 times bigger if it had been a whole piece of arm and on a 1/4 section sliver. :-)

Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:38 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,195 Posts
Another flight in my small living room..again, no crashes...

BLADEMQX AV (2 min 43 sec)
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:42 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,158 Posts
Looking good, like the easy to track canopy shape.
I was considering a paper snap-on tail for better visibility further away..
Would probably limit me in fast backward flight but I'm not going to do that way far away as much.
Right now sorta sticking with my beat-up stock canopy because I have a few holes drilled in it and Bright LEDs and wiring all mounted to it.
Looks like I could have a LOT of fun with a color printer and paper canopies.
My next design may involve rigidly mounted LEDs on long solid wires that 'stick out' the top or forward the canopy. or go out on tiny carbon shafts just for LED mounting.
I do a lot of night flying.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:46 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,158 Posts
And I completely 'ran out' of brass pinion this evening :-(
That blows.
The other 3 are soon to follow.
I'm not sure if there's a way to just change that gear.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:04 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,705 Posts
It is possible to change the pinion, it is finding the right tools to do the job that makes it difficult.

You would need to find a replacement pinion first off.

Then a tool similar to this one would be a great help:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...oval_Tool.html
The shaft on this one is 3mm so will be too big so you would have to find a supplier that has a smaller one

However if you could support the underside of the pinion you could use a small diameter pin and hammer to knock the motor shaft out.

Very fiddly, but do-able
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:23 AM
United States, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Oct 2000
945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8LBV View Post
And I completely 'ran out' of brass pinion this evening :-(
That blows.
The other 3 are soon to follow.
I'm not sure if there's a way to just change that gear.
Wow, how many flights do you have on that motor? None of mine have ANY visible wear. And was that running with a plastic gear on an mQX or something else?

Paul
pgoelz is offline Find More Posts by pgoelz
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:04 AM
Joined Sep 2011
288 Posts
Awesome!
Tomdomification is offline Find More Posts by Tomdomification
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:54 AM
United Kingdom, England, Consett
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
Anyone who was wondering about replacement carbon booms that have the wire pre-installed, the following item, though lacking any decent description, the seller has said is as pictured, so includes wire.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1509017524...84.m1497.l2649
ColSonders is offline Find More Posts by ColSonders
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:28 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,158 Posts
Thanks! looks like different connector toward the controller board so might still need to do some soldering & shrink if used on an mQX.

And re: above.. I've been flying a whole lot since I got it two months ago.
Pretty much whenever I can.
I am limited to two batteries that it came with and I've not bought any more yet.
I expected them to last longer than this, outlive the batteries and the motors at least.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:31 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,158 Posts
They didn't show any visible wear for awhile, then about a week ago it slowly started getting very noticeable I think it reaches a tipping point where they start wearing out much faster.
So a little tiny bit of wear over time then the teeth weaken and really start to go.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:11 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,600 Posts
OK, I think I am getting bad motors now. I can't have more than 30 flights on this thing. And the front left motor is weak, the quad slowly leans in that directions, and it fails to keep up when I punch it. I does not make sense to replace just one motor, do you guys change them all at once? I am thinking about getting V929 motors to replace it with. If the Blade ones are that poor than they don't deserve to sell me the spares. Also under some punches the quad drops as if it experiences a brownout. Do the bad motors cause this? Should I email Horizon Hobby and see if they will send me some motors.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:19 PM
United States, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Oct 2000
945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
OK, I think I am getting bad motors now. I can't have more than 30 flights on this thing. And the front left motor is weak, the quad slowly leans in that directions, and it fails to keep up when I punch it. I does not make sense to replace just one motor, do you guys change them all at once? I am thinking about getting V929 motors to replace it with. If the Blade ones are that poor than they don't deserve to sell me the spares. Also under some punches the quad drops as if it experiences a brownout. Do the bad motors cause this? Should I email Horizon Hobby and see if they will send me some motors.
Make sure your battery connector (both halves) is clean and OK. Some DeOxIt would help. That JST connector has been troublesome under 2A loads for more than a decade. We used to replace them on the Piccolo because they actually got hot at 2A. Heat = wasted power = lost voltage.

Paul
pgoelz is offline Find More Posts by pgoelz
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:26 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,600 Posts
Thanks, will check that. Need to add DeOxit to my shopping list. Where can it be found?

The MQX motors are too expensive, I am going to order 2 A and 2 B motors for the 929 since they are supposed to be identical. I know they plug in under the covers and they probably won't match so I'll need to mod the MQX to take these new motors. What have you guys done?
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72