Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by JHawk19, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 09:32 AM
Buy, Mod, Fly, Sell, Repeat
United States, SC
Joined Apr 2008
1,962 Posts
Build Log
Blade SR

So, I've decided to purchase a Blade SR. I've been flying co-axials and single rotor 45 flybar helis for 2 years now.

My website: https://sites.google.com/site/jhawk1977/

This isn't my first 6 channel helicopter. I built a Belt CP from an eBay kit, but I didn't know how to set it up, so I sold it. I've also flown fixed pitch but no more than a minute before crashing. This was all before I realized that FP and CCPM helis were not the place for me to start. That's when I went to co-axials and 45 flybar helis.

Those got boring, so I decided the Blade SR would be a good starter. My LHS has parts and there are plenty of parts online that can be at my house in 2-3 days if I crash!

This Build Log will be for me to show the modifications I've made to the Blade SR as well as log my learning and experience with this helicopter.

Photos of the stock heli as I received it are below. As I make modifications or start flying, I'll add more blog entries.
JHawk19 is online now Find More Posts by JHawk19
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2011, 09:19 AM
United States, SC
Joined Apr 2008
1,962 Posts
Today I added Blade 400 landing skids to give the SR a wider stance. They seem to be more durable as well without adding front end weight. I also completed the Knitting Needle Mod. It was really easy. The tail booms for the Blade SR range from $5 - $7 each. I got two knitting needles at Wally World for $4. These needles are much stronger and yet they do not add much weight to the rear!

See photos below of these mods with Xtreme 235mm Main Blades added.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 08:43 PM
United States, SC
Joined Apr 2008
1,962 Posts
Today I added knighthead bars and the Xtreme Metal Swashplate.

I'm not sure about the knighthead bars yet, maybe they'll grow on me.

I'll decide once I install the new canopy.

I also did some very brief hovering today with training gear installed. Seemed to go well, but it's a fight to keep it in the air.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 08:11 AM
United States, SC
Joined Apr 2008
1,962 Posts
More modifications...

I didn't like the B400 skids as much as I thought. I, instead added these CP3 skids. It still has a wider stance, but the lines are straighter and I think they look much better.

I also painted the horizontal and vertical fins black to match the rest of what I have going on with the helicopter.

The new Fusuno Canopy is coming soon!!
Old Nov 25, 2011, 07:18 PM
United States, SC
Joined Apr 2008
1,962 Posts
I have training gear attached to the SR right now and I've been doing some great hovering both indoors and out. Today I had it hovering in the driveway for an entire battery. It was great!!

I'm going to install a FlyMentor next week, so I'm going to wait on FFF until that's installed.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:37 PM
United States, SC
Joined Apr 2008
1,962 Posts
So, the FlyMentor blows on the Blade SR. Because of the Direct Drive tail motor, I'm having trouble setting up the FlyMentor. I was able to set up the actual balancing portion of the FlyMentor and the swashplate does level when tilted. However, the tail is full on or full off. There is no in between.

Based on that, I removed the FlyMentor. I'm back to the original set up and I'm able to maintain a good hover. The weather's been crappy here. Rain and wind for days, so I'm only able to hover in my garage or office. I'm ready to get it outside though!!
Old Dec 09, 2011, 12:40 AM
United States, GA, Pooler
Joined Nov 2008
307 Posts
Haha, this helps me out so much. Would have answered all my questions earlier. So good to see your documentation and how well you treated the bird. I can't wait to get it in the air!
pilot_keeter is offline Find More Posts by pilot_keeter