Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 02, 2011, 05:44 PM
USA, TX, Corinth
Joined Aug 2010
62 Posts
Discussion
Best quality batteries

What brand lipo has the best quality. Need three and six cell. Any suggestions?

Dan
DanVI is offline Find More Posts by DanVI
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2011, 06:51 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,604 Posts
If you get ten responses I expect you will get ten different batteries.
Many say ThunderPower. However they are expensive.
Many say Zippies aren't that good but they are much cheaper.
You pretty much have to determine what you can afford.

The best battery is the one you take good care of. You can kill the best battery in the world by over discharging it or leaving it charged for long periods between use.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Sep 02, 2011, 08:46 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,710 Posts
Yea, responses will probably be all over the map on this one and I don't think there is a difinitive answer--only consensus (maybe). But from what I "hear" in these forums (for whatever that's worth), lots of people say ThunderPower, Gen's Ace, and Hyperion and/or FlightPower. But like Glen said, the best battery is one you can care for properly.

Tim
KRProton is offline Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 03, 2011, 08:42 AM
USA, TX, Corinth
Joined Aug 2010
62 Posts
Thanks for the response. I ordered the ThunderPower. The 3 cell 3500 mah 30c I am replacing have four flights on them and have began to swell. Charged 3 times (with balance charger) Never ran below 3.8v. These were two of the bargain brands, not such a bargain in the long run.

Dan
DanVI is offline Find More Posts by DanVI
Old Sep 03, 2011, 09:14 AM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jun 2008
848 Posts
I have many FlightPower batteries and they have been great. I have one Thunderpower 3s2150 mAh and it is the only battery I have that has swelled. It works fine but it is a bit puffy.

SunDevilPilot
SunDevilPilot is offline Find More Posts by SunDevilPilot
Old Sep 03, 2011, 10:08 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,656 Posts
Long term regulars here know that I feel Thunder Powers are the King of the Hill when it comes to LiPolys.

A very close second at better pricing are Billowy, folowed by Hyperion, Spyder and GensAce .

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Sep 03, 2011, 11:07 AM
san diego, ca.
Joined Sep 2000
252 Posts
Thunder power!!!
Fast Fly is offline Find More Posts by Fast Fly
Old Sep 03, 2011, 11:40 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,533 Posts
Rhino

Rhino are probably the most durable and will give you the most flights. They are not as powerful as the very expensive brands but they are probably the best if you are a sport flyer.

Gens Ace is excellent but they are new so we won’t know the durability story until about this time next year.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Sep 03, 2011, 11:50 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,279 Posts
Neu.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Sep 04, 2011, 01:20 AM
BrainFart RC-Pilot
Echt, Netherlands
Joined Aug 2003
3,094 Posts
Best packs I still own are Rhino, Turnigy and GensAce.

Sorry for Polyquest, Kokam and ThunderPower. But they where the worst performers in my hangar with "distance"!
TreeDiver is offline Find More Posts by TreeDiver
Old Sep 04, 2011, 04:19 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,197 Posts
Thunder power and Hyperion are the best in my book

I've tried about all of them... thunder power by far has the best customer support and warranty on the market today.

There 45c packs are priced ok and are wonderful packs.. the 65c are the best out there. But high priced and you may loss performance if you setup doesn't pull enough amps to heat up the packs.

I've seen this happen with 65c packs in a Habu... it lost preformace over a 30c pack... they just couldn't get hot enough to make good power
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Sep 04, 2011, 05:44 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeDiver View Post
Best packs I still own are Rhino, Turnigy and GensAce.

Sorry for Polyquest, Kokam and ThunderPower. But they where the worst performers in my hangar with "distance"!
Thatís exactly my experience. Maybe I just got some bad packs but the last TP packs I had didnít last as long as the cheap Chinese packs. The had more power when new but not after 100 cycles. TP is so expensive these days that I will probably never use them again.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Sep 04, 2011, 06:15 PM
El Cajon, CA, USA
Joined Feb 2001
801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
That’s exactly my experience. Maybe I just got some bad packs but the last TP packs I had didn’t last as long as the cheap Chinese packs. The had more power when new but not after 100 cycles. TP is so expensive these days that I will probably never use them again.

I have a question for all of you who had a bad experience with TP packs....

Were they by chance Extreme V2's? Those sucked REALLY bad. In my opinion TP should have replaced all of them. I sent some back asking why such short life and was given some Propower 30C packs. They really kicked butt and are still going strong. The V1's and V2's were strong out of the gate but faded fast.

I was running some 45c Propower packs in my Trex 450 and they were awesome. Haven't tried the 65C packs as I'm now flying a Trex 550 and can't afford them. I'd sure like to try them out though.
Munch is offline Find More Posts by Munch
Last edited by Munch; Sep 04, 2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 06:47 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,197 Posts
The early TP's sucked... I had four sets of 25c 6s 5000 extremes
They all got puffy

The pro power 30c, 45c, 65c are completely different animals

I have four old 6s 30c 5000 mah pro power and they have been the best packs I've ever owned.... hundreds of hard flights in EDF jets pulling 100+ amps at full power, still going strong. I can't kill them
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Sep 05, 2011, 01:51 AM
Joined May 2010
297 Posts
Hi, I am very impressed (after a few weeks) with the nano tech batts by Turnigy(HK)They just dont heat or expand, and are no more expensive than Rhino.
foufly is offline Find More Posts by foufly