HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 11, 2011, 09:37 PM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
I finally got around to putting the Skylark on my EZ*. I haven't been able to fully test it yet since it rained all day, but my basic bench testing shows that, although I am using NTSC and the stock firmware version (v1.5?), I do not seem to have the flickering issue with the battery data seen in Sentry's video. The display is rock solid and the battery/current data does appear to be accurate.

I can't get a GPS lock in my basement (with any GPS, not just Skylark's) so I haven't been able to test the rest of the issues Sentry had with the older firmware.

If the forecast holds true then I may get a window sometime tomorrow afternoon to actually flight test it. I am, however, still stuck without the ability to update the firmware or change any of the display parameters without Windows XP so I'm showing the "simple" display and metric data.

kendall
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Last edited by tuppertn; Jun 11, 2011 at 09:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2011, 03:18 AM
Joined Apr 2011
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudognik View Post
I saw the Chinese version of the site with the autopilot and infrared sensors, this version is not sold to other countries?
It is the Skylark Standard OSD, if you'd like to buy it, you can contact our sales team.

Email: sales@skylarkfpv.com

Some features for your information

Micro SD card data record
2 outputs voltage 5v/12v (Camera and video TX)
With barometer
RSSI Auto detected | Auto "Setting Home"
Google Earth Logging
Support FY-20A
Autopilot / RTH
Skylark 10Hz GPS
8 waypoints
Support Skylark Auto Antenna Tracker
Free firmware upgrade
skylarkfpv is offline Find More Posts by skylarkfpv
Last edited by skylarkfpv; Jun 13, 2011 at 03:24 AM.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 08:30 AM
Joined Apr 2011
176 Posts
Skylark AAT Suite (Skylark Auto Antenna Tracker + Skylark Trace OSD)

Skylark AAT System (Skylark Auto Antenna Tracker + Skylark Trace OSD) (3 min 16 sec)

Features
No tools needed for assembly
Tracks 360º horizontally and 90º vertically
Include compass
Free firmware upgrade

Features
Easy to install and easy to use.
PAL/NTSC compatible
60A current sensor
RSSI Auto detected | Auto "Setting Home"
With barometer
Skylark 4Hz GPS
Support Skylark Auto Antenna Tracker
Free firmware upgrade
skylarkfpv is offline Find More Posts by skylarkfpv
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:48 AM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Didn't get a chance to fly this past weekend due to the rain, but so far my bench testing shows the Skylark to be working perfectly right out of the box. I have no issues with flickering, GPS drift or airspeed inaccuracy.

I found a machine running XP at work and brought the OSD in with me this morning. I'm going to update the firmware and change some of the display parameters this afternoon.

kendall
Old Jun 13, 2011, 03:07 PM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Update successful! I've got v1.6 running and I'm looking at Imperial units in the F-16 configuration. No issues on the bench.

kendall
Old Jun 16, 2011, 09:59 PM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Flew the Skylark for the first time today. All went well, I suppose. I did notice a couple of things that bothered me a bit. It took a long time to get a GPS lock. I got sick of waiting and tossed the plane up for a VLOS test flight. The GPS lock on to 9 satellites about 4 minutes into the flight. I brought it down, reset the OSD and after that it was fine. The GPS also seemed to lag behind what the plane was actually doing. It was most noticeable on climbout. On a VLOS launch I would zip up to 300ft or so, level out to cruise and the GPS altitude was just passing through 170ft with an aggressive climbrate even though I had levelled out and throttled back. It took about 3-4 seconds to catch up. I'm not sure if it was doing the same thing with the heading.

Need to fly it some more in one of my more familiar locations where I have better navigational cues from the ground.

kendall
Old Jun 17, 2011, 08:47 AM
Joined May 2010
194 Posts
Has any one removed the deans connectors ? I use XH60 ( yellow jobs) bit I am very concerned that the amount of heat needed to remove the deans will dislodge some of the SM components.
Could Sky lark sell a current sensor with only wires so we can attach our own power connectors ??? deans , bullet, XH60

Tks
Nick
NickTT is offline Find More Posts by NickTT
Old Jun 17, 2011, 06:43 PM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2001
1,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTT View Post
Has any one removed the deans connectors ? I use XH60 ( yellow jobs) bit I am very concerned that the amount of heat needed to remove the deans will dislodge some of the SM components.
Could Sky lark sell a current sensor with only wires so we can attach our own power connectors ??? deans , bullet, XH60

Tks
Nick
+1 !

I too would like to put on my own connectors (or have an option for different ones to be installed <shrug>).
Mikey-flies is offline Find More Posts by Mikey-flies
Old Jun 18, 2011, 01:01 PM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Why bother removing the included Deans? It's easy enough to whip up a short extension/adapter for whatever connector you want. Make it with just a few centimeters of 12AWG with a female Deans on one end and your connector on the other. Takes 5 minutes. I have all kinds of such adapters to switch between Deans and EC5.

kendall
Old Jun 18, 2011, 02:50 PM
Joined Sep 2005
376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuppertn View Post
Why bother removing the included Deans? It's easy enough to whip up a short extension/adapter for whatever connector you want. Make it with just a few centimeters of 12AWG with a female Deans on one end and your connector on the other. Takes 5 minutes. I have all kinds of such adapters to switch between Deans and EC5.

kendall
Awesome, unless you care about weight. - I asked the question several pages back about a connector-less sensor and hadn't seen a response on it yet.
JackDaniels is offline Find More Posts by JackDaniels
Old Jun 18, 2011, 06:45 PM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
I am now happy with the SL OSD. I am running the v1.6 firmware, and a 4hz GPS. The switch to the 4hz GPS is the ticket to SL OSD altitude accuracy issues!! I'm ready to outfit the rest of my fleet!!

The video quality suffers here as there are a network of major high KV power lines that run to the 2nd largest coal-based power station in the US (Ga Power Bowen Facility).

** Skylark... I would love to see a SUMMARY posted to the screen after landing **

Skylark OSD w/ 4Hz GPS (6 min 1 sec)

As far as the connectors... I'd say that Dean's/Dean's Style plugs is the standard in RC. You can always get a Deans-to-XH60 adaptor (or make your own)??
SENTRY 62 is offline Find More Posts by SENTRY 62
Old Jun 18, 2011, 07:10 PM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
I have received my Antenna Tracker and Trace OSD from Skylark. I will be testing this and linking the thread back to RCG.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 07:28 PM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SENTRY 62 View Post
I am now happy with the SL OSD. I am running the v1.6 firmware, and a 4hz GPS. The switch to the 4hz GPS is the ticket to SL OSD altitude accuracy issues!!
How did you get the 4Hz GPS unit? Is that available separately? My ET OSD using a 10Hz GPS and doesn't seem to have any perceivable lag.

kendall
Old Jun 20, 2011, 01:48 PM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
^^ it's plug and play - uses the same harness. Contact Skylark to get one.

More Skylark Tiny OSD footage. I LOVE this OSD!! Get yours today!!! It's nice with the 4hz GPS - I will do more 10hz testing if I have good weather. I do have a new board so I want to make sure that the board was the issue before and not the 10hz GPS

Pine Lake - Quick Flight (14 min 38 sec)
Old Jun 22, 2011, 01:15 AM
Pico Rivera, CA
Joined Apr 2004
285 Posts
How long does it usually take to receive shipment from skylark? I ordered the tiny OSD on may, 14 I'm stll waiting for it to arrive.
teebok is offline Find More Posts by teebok