HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:27 AM
Joined Mar 2012
146 Posts
Hi!

I've been reading how you guys build your skywalkers, and there is something that comes up to my mind. How do you guys would replace rear servos in case that you have to? As far as I've seen, you glue them to one side of the fuselage during the build up process...but what if, for example, the rudder servo brakes up and you need to replace it? Wires are hot glued inside...

Thank you!!
asaak is offline Find More Posts by asaak
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:55 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asaak View Post
Hi!

I've been reading how you guys build your skywalkers, and there is something that comes up to my mind. How do you guys would replace rear servos in case that you have to? As far as I've seen, you glue them to one side of the fuselage during the build up process...but what if, for example, the rudder servo brakes up and you need to replace it? Wires are hot glued inside...

Thank you!!
I've had a rudder servo not work on me after it was installed, and to make things worse I didn't run the extensions down the tube, I glued them in next to it!

So I had to do some fine surgery and now run extensions down the outside of the tail boom with the original extensions in there for good!

Now I've glued the servos in, but have cut access hatches on the opposite side of the vertical stab.
Teamsherman is online now Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Jul 20, 2012, 02:00 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,395 Posts
Whenever I have an issue with a servo like that (in any plane), I just cut the wires and
solder the new servo wires onto the old ones, rather than worry about trying to pull
the wires through wing/fuse/whatever. If you can, just leave a little bit of slack
in the wires near the servo inside the wing/fuse/stab when you install it.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2012, 02:04 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asaak View Post
Wires are hot glued inside...
BTW.. please don't use hot glue. It is just pure weight. Most other adhesives are either
lighter to begin with, or they rely on evaporation to cure, so they become
lighter.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2012, 02:23 PM
Brasil, CE, Fortaleza
Joined Jun 2011
1,100 Posts
Too bad, have a cordless rechargeable hot glue gun to do a quick fix at the field.

I know, for that purpose it will be no problem, thanks for the tip anyway....

Mauro
mauromassari is offline Find More Posts by mauromassari
Old Jul 20, 2012, 05:30 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,821 Posts
I am going to sell my Skywalker .. pictures and listing soon - just if someone is ordering one in the next couple hours.. will come as a 80% FPV system with DragonOSD+GPS and DragonLink Antenna (just the Antenna) built into the fuselage. More to this later...
flyandi is online now Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:07 PM
Whats the wrst that can happn?
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,649 Posts
ok I forget...rudder & elevator servo wires through the boom CF rod good or bad? I'm rebuilding the fuselage from a spare body I ordered for parts and thought it would be easier and less messy to fish it through the CF rod.

Of course wires would be heavily twisted to reduce signal interference
AdamChicago is offline Find More Posts by AdamChicago
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:11 PM
Joined Jun 2010
643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamChicago View Post
ok I forget...rudder & elevator servo wires through the boom CF rod good or bad? I'm rebuilding the fuselage from a spare body I ordered for parts and thought it would be easier and less messy to fish it through the CF rod.

Of course wires would be heavily twisted to reduce signal interference
Wires through the boom are a good thing, very neat and tidy. The problem is shrinking the connector....

:-)
cliffkot is offline Find More Posts by cliffkot
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:27 PM
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,649 Posts
gracias

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffkot View Post
Wires through the boom are a good thing, very neat and tidy. The problem is shrinking the connector....

Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:28 PM
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,649 Posts
Oh hey Cliff, I responded before I realized it was you...thanks for the advice, hope your FPV is going well and thanks again for the help.

Quote:

Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:12 AM
Canberra, Australia
Joined Oct 2010
540 Posts
Quote:

Shrinking? I just remove and then reinstall the pins.

This was one of the few wires in my plane that aren't twisted beacuse I thought I'd lose too much length and add too much weight. Since it's inside the CF tube it's protected a little from RF anyway. I have no problems at all using 800mw of 1280mhz with a Hitec HS65KB (rudder) and a Align Metal gear (elevator).

As I've stated before. Just make sure you glue the CF rod into the same half as the servos install. Makes joining the halves so much easier when you dont have to worry about connecting the servos while your glueing.

Happy Days
joel0407 is offline Find More Posts by joel0407
Old Jul 21, 2012, 08:59 AM
Winnipeg
Joined Feb 2002
5,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Whenever I have an issue with a servo like that (in any plane), I just cut the wires and
solder the new servo wires onto the old ones, rather than worry about trying to pull
the wires through wing/fuse/whatever. If you can, just leave a little bit of slack
in the wires near the servo inside the wing/fuse/stab when you install it.

ian
This makes the most sense.
Isn't hard to do this, lot less work than pulling everything out.
Shadrack is offline Find More Posts by Shadrack
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:22 AM
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,649 Posts
Well it turns out I'm not going to run the servo wires through the boom CF rod anyhow. I devised a tail stabilization plan, based on one I saw here a while back, that will block off the one end of the rod.

I'm going to drill a small whole through the end of the CF rod to fit another smaller vertical rod through it and then put a good amount of epoxy around that whole area to lock it all together and maintain the strength of the CF where the whole was drilled...maybe a fiber sheet around it to.

I'm not too worried about tail weight because I'm nose heavy now with a 5800 4s and 1500 3s (OSD/Vid batt) in the nose
Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:03 AM
Joined Apr 2011
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamChicago View Post
Well it turns out I'm not going to run the servo wires through the boom CF rod anyhow. I devised a tail stabilization plan, based on one I saw here a while back, that will block off the one end of the rod.

I'm going to drill a small whole through the end of the CF rod to fit another smaller vertical rod through it and then put a good amount of epoxy around that whole area to lock it all together and maintain the strength of the CF where the whole was drilled...maybe a fiber sheet around it to.

I'm not too worried about tail weight because I'm nose heavy now with a 5800 4s and 1500 3s (OSD/Vid batt) in the nose
AdamChicago,

I drilled a small hole in the tail boom and inserted a small carbon fiber rod angled upward into the tail. I think this is a good strategy for strengthening the tail. Unfortunately, during one of my crashes, the tail broke off at this point. I did not use epoxy for the bonding. I think this is a good approach for stiffing up the tail section, however, during my beginner stages of learning to fly, I was tough on the Styrofoam.

Good Luck,
Hector
texasdrifters is offline Find More Posts by texasdrifters
Old Jul 21, 2012, 01:24 PM
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,649 Posts
Hey thanks Hector, usually when I post my "good ideas" they're shot full of holes LOL. I actually didn't have a whole lot of trouble with the tail on my current Skywalker but thought since I'm re-building, why not.

I would say the tail snapping at that point was probably more coincidence than anything else, and I know a sure fire way to resolve that...don't crash! haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdrifters View Post
AdamChicago,

I drilled a small hole in the tail boom and inserted a small carbon fiber rod angled upward into the tail. I think this is a good strategy for strengthening the tail. Unfortunately, during one of my crashes, the tail broke off at this point. I did not use epoxy for the bonding. I think this is a good approach for stiffing up the tail section, however, during my beginner stages of learning to fly, I was tough on the Styrofoam.

Good Luck,
Hector
Last edited by AdamChicago; Jul 21, 2012 at 01:35 PM.