Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 01, 2010, 09:11 PM
Naval gazing
United States, MA, Boston
Joined May 2008
1,228 Posts
Discussion
Is this kit any good?

FOund this a few weeks ago and was impressed by the superstructure, but not by the way the skirt seems to only partly inflate:

http://www.hovercraftmodels.com/SRN5...Hovercraft.htm

As you can see from their video link, though the skirt doesn't seem to inflate all the way, it is pretty fast. THe skirt thing is more of an aesthetic problem for me.

This guy's site page has some pics of one of these models underway:

http://www.willi-sepp.de/frosch/frosch.htm

A pic of what i'm talking about:

The perk to this kit is that it comes with motors and some electronics and only really requires ESC's and radio stuff. The downside is the skirt thing.

Also i'm trying to figure out if it is more economical to get this kit and the new ESC (i already have a 2ch AM radio), or if I should do the build/rebuild I've been talking about in the other thread, for which i would need to buy at least two, possibly three new motors, three ESC's, wood, foam, glue paint, etc. One of the factors of economical...ness is which project's final product would look better/run better.

What do you thinK? thanks again for your input!
spacephrawg is offline Find More Posts by spacephrawg
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2010, 05:26 AM
Joined Mar 2007
275 Posts
skirt not inflating well

I see what you mean it does not inflate well at all where as this does http://www.modelhovercraft.co.uk/ind...-pictures.html
HoverTim is offline Find More Posts by HoverTim
Old Jan 05, 2010, 08:07 AM
Naval gazing
Joined May 2008
1,228 Posts
What do you think of this thing though? Worth it? No?
Old Jan 05, 2010, 12:19 PM
Joined Mar 2007
275 Posts
is i worth it

I would say no as i like models like this to look scale this is a full size SRN5 and some of the details are abit off but this is vac formed to allow it to be put together easily this is whi i work in wood
HoverTim is offline Find More Posts by HoverTim
Old Jan 05, 2010, 10:22 PM
Naval gazing
Joined May 2008
1,228 Posts
Thats a shame since if nothing else the kit does look kind of cute. The only thing that turns me off to it is the skirt thing.

Nice pic you posted. I've always thought the SRN5 is awfully cute.

The way this kit makes the skirt look, its like its sitting on a bed pillow, not a proper skirt. Its a skirt with erectile dysfunction, pardon the imagery.

I ask about your assessment of the kit because I was wondering if the skirt thing was an issue since most other RC hovercrafts, and all real ones that i've seen have fully inflated skirts when they are running.
Old Jan 05, 2010, 10:38 PM
Naval gazing
Joined May 2008
1,228 Posts
That said, in the short video that can be downloaded on the product page, the thing appeared to be quite fast and could handle fine sand on the shore of a lake. Perhaps my only objection really is the skirt.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:44 AM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,846 Posts
I think the problem with the snr5 kit is that the hole on the top where the prop spins to inflate the skirt is left wide open. It seems that other kits and builds that have skirts that inflate well are more closed.
I'm going to try to close this hole up if I can and see how she goes.
Heavy Chevy is online now Find More Posts by Heavy Chevy