Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 25, 2010, 03:42 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
As far as mechanicals go, I am sure they're fine.
mike early is offline Find More Posts by mike early
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2010, 09:14 PM
80's Metal....
Joined Dec 2009
3,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
Is there a problem with the stock CMP gear ?

I built & setup mine exactly as per instructions, and it seems to work fine, I have about 6 flights on it.

Maybe I have an older plastic retract model ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsamzgFYWFI

I've always maintained that the stock gear has held up great. They've been exceptionally strong despite some hard landings and i've never had a problem with them.

I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving. My kid cousin came down and I promised I'd take him flying for months.. Unfortunately we had a bad wind advisory for our area.. well the video can do the talking. Still flew great! It gusted up to 40 mph.. and was so bad he couldn't keep the camera still and the audio is pretty much... horrible.. but I thought you all would like a little flight vid.. try not to laugh when I think all is good when she touches down.. then LEAPS back in the air again..

SAM 0521 (0 min 14 sec)

SAM 0522 (3 min 26 sec)
HKing_PwnsMe is offline Find More Posts by HKing_PwnsMe
Old Nov 26, 2010, 12:44 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,830 Posts
Thanks for the video. The airplane did a reallly credible job and your more courageous than I think I'd be. I doubt I'd ever find myself flying in those conditions. Nice job bud..
capteasy is online now Find More Posts by capteasy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite hawker Hurricane 25E
Old Nov 26, 2010, 03:34 PM
Joined May 2010
259 Posts
Nice flying, like the Capt says, your braver than I flying in those conditions!

John
johnUK66 is offline Find More Posts by johnUK66
Old Nov 26, 2010, 03:58 PM
80's Metal....
Joined Dec 2009
3,557 Posts
lol.. thanks guys.... though i'm probably more stupid than brave..

I began regretting it as soon it got airborne. It handles exceptionally well in windy conditions.

Thought you all might like this one too... mostly because I dig the evening colors. This was my CMP 109 (with sierra giant retracts moved to a more scale location and completely repainted). Not a spit.. but it's most hated rival.. The winds died down a little later so I took it up.. still windy though.. so sorry for the audio.

As for the last part.. I got a bit unlucky, my left retract turned inwards towards the end of the landing (loose screw).. but it was fine. I got another flight in before packing up for Thanksgiving dinner..

Also a real bummer Nplanes didn't reduce the spits price for black fri..

CMP 109 (4 min 6 sec)
Old Nov 26, 2010, 06:08 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,830 Posts
Nice video...that's a CMP 109, right?
capteasy is online now Find More Posts by capteasy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite hawker Hurricane 25E
Old Nov 26, 2010, 06:16 PM
Joined May 2010
259 Posts
Albeit a patriotic brit, I have been tempted on occasion to get one of those. I decided I would have to wait till I could afford to trash it as I dont know if I could resist the urge to take it up high and nosedive it into terra firma!

Nice flying and she does look good in the sky! What are you using to power her?

John
Last edited by johnUK66; Nov 26, 2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 07:14 PM
80's Metal....
Joined Dec 2009
3,557 Posts
Glad you liked the video guys! It was beautiful out there... despite the wind.

Yes Capt.. that's a CMP BF109.. here's are better pictures of it... sorry the video doesn't show many details. Hope you guys like the paint job.. i didn't like the stock colors at all.

Unfortunately it's weighs 17lbs and is HELL to handle on takeoff and landings with the scale gear.. but I refuse to put in a gyro just yet..

Hey John... I bet you smiled a little at the end of that video huh? lol..

I have to admit.. i'm the opposite. I'm a HUGE Axis warbird fan.. I felt like i was cheating on them when I got the Spit and Mossie.. but they're just TOO awesome.

I've been wanting that bigger Spit CMP offers.. too bad Nitroplanes got stingy this year.

Ah.. almost forgot.. the 109 runs off of a Turnigy 63-64, 10 Cell 5000 or 12 cell 5000 depending on what i have. I use a Common Sense High Voltage 90AMP Esc, 2 x A123 1100mah batteries and flies with an 18x10 prop.
Last edited by HKing_PwnsMe; Nov 26, 2010 at 07:39 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 12:37 AM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
FREEMEAIRPLANES free shipping. Better Hurry

Nitroplanes.com
Old Nov 27, 2010, 10:18 AM
Joined May 2010
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKing_PwnsMe View Post
Awesome! I know you'll love it.., it was the first time I felt having Netflix was worth the cost!

It really was an incredible documentary series. I wasn't even born here but this crystallized the amazing sacrifices that generation made during WWII.

It's discouraging when a lot of my friends and co-workers don't even know who was fighting on what side, how significant the war was and the impact it had shaping the world powers.

I hope you enjoy it, i guarantee 'The Air War' will amaze you!
I just watched "The Air War" episode. You werent wrong, awesome stuff if not a little sobering. Thanks for the heads up. It took till now as I was downloading all 14 episodes from a torrent site!

Thanks again, John
Old Nov 27, 2010, 10:52 AM
Joined May 2010
259 Posts
Thanks for the engine etc info.

If Im honest I was a little gutted for you when it went off the tarmac and nosed over, spoilt an otherwise good landing. Though since you mentioned it, I have rewatched and allowed myself a rather large satisfied smug grin at the end!

John
Old Nov 27, 2010, 03:54 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike early View Post
These oleos are the perfect length and are dirt cheap.
http://www.rc-warbirds.com/product_i...roducts_id/679

They fit in these dirt cheap retracts.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-91-ere...-onepiece.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKing_PwnsMe View Post
Geez.. that's a great find.. I'm going to order a couple sets. Especially at that price!
Received mine today. Very impressed. They fit this plane perfectly.
The struts are a work of art. I'll never buy another robostrut, ever.
The struts drop right in to the retracts. I might have thrown away the set screw that holds the strut into the retract or maybe it didn't come with them, but the struts come with a nose gear strut that has 3 set screws and they all fit.
Last edited by mike early; Nov 27, 2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 04:39 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,840 Posts
Mike,

If you're not going to use that nose gear strut, I've got a plane that's missing a nose gear that might be able to benefit from the one you're not using... assuming you have no other use for it.

I wish that hobbypartz had that electric retract in stock, I've got two planes on the bench I'd love to put those in and just BAG the air systems I've spent hundreds on. They're such a stinking pain!
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2010, 05:14 PM
80's Metal....
Joined Dec 2009
3,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike early View Post
Received mine today. Very impressed. They fit this plane perfectly.
The struts are a work of art. I'll never buy another robostrut, ever.
The struts drop right in to the retracts. I might have thrown away the set screw that holds the strut into the retract or maybe it didn't come with them, but the struts come with a nose gear strut that has 3 set screws and they all fit.
Very cool.. look forward to a field report! I hope mine get here soon... how long did it take?

I may not use them in my spit for now since the stock retracts have worked great so far.. but I have a few other planes this size they'll be perfect for (one tri gear)

Thanks again
Old Nov 27, 2010, 05:17 PM
80's Metal....
Joined Dec 2009
3,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnUK66 View Post
I just watched "The Air War" episode. You werent wrong, awesome stuff if not a little sobering. Thanks for the heads up. It took till now as I was downloading all 14 episodes from a torrent site!

Thanks again, John
Very cool! Happy you enjoyed it. Bummer about having to get them off torrents though!

The footage was amazing... more people should know about 'the greatest generation' not just here.. but Europe.. Asia.. Africa..