HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:51 PM
boerie roll
Johannesburg, South Africa
Joined Apr 2007
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
Hey viesie ,have you flown both off of water yet ? We have snow here in winters and both look like they could fly off of snow very well. joe
Hi Joe, I've flown the little delta on water a lot but haven't had the opportunity with the Mermaid. I'm sure snow will be no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay View Post
Marcel,

the first one looks like a DELTAized Drongo with the same thrust line.
But the second looks like it has NO up thrust.

Would you comment on those observations ?

Bob
Hoosier Cutout Service
Hi Bob,

On these two the motors are mounted a lot more forward than on the Drongo, BD-5 or Seadart. This allows the prop wash to blow onto the tail surfaces. The thrust angle is the opposite and much smaller than what I did on the previous models, which is a more efficient set-up.

Plans for the Mermaid posted here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1839491

Marcel
vleisie is offline Find More Posts by vleisie
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:01 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vleisie View Post
Hi Joe, I've flown the little delta on water a lot but haven't had the opportunity with the Mermaid. I'm sure snow will be no problem.

Hi Bob,

On these two the motors are mounted a lot more forward than on the Drongo, BD-5 or Seadart. This allows the prop wash to blow onto the tail surfaces. The thrust angle is the opposite and much smaller than what I did on the previous models, which is a more efficient set-up.

Plans for the Mermaid posted here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1839491

Marcel
If it flys as half as good as some of your other birds it should be great Marcl ,thanks for the nice plans. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:31 PM
Joined Oct 2012
1 Posts
Bd-5

Just finished mine waiting for it to stop snowing so i can go out and try it
moozoh73 is offline Find More Posts by moozoh73
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:35 AM
bps
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Apr 2001
809 Posts
I like what you did with the airfoil. I have a 22" version under construction with the same airfoil approach. I moved the aileron servos inside and mounted them close to the fuse sides. The arms will exit the fuse side and connect to full span flapperons. Fixed rudder. Three 3.7 gram servos mounted forward of the CG just aft of the battery compartment
bps is online now Find More Posts by bps
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:41 AM
Joined Feb 2012
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moozoh73 View Post
Just finished mine waiting for it to stop snowing so i can go out and try it
mozooh73, have you made a triple skin wing?could you please post more pictures of your modifications?
thanks!
diogoiwata is offline Find More Posts by diogoiwata
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:03 AM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,540 Posts
Anyone interested in a Foam only KIT directly from Marcel's plans
Cut in 3 sheets 6mm x 39" x 13.5" Depron. Packed in a two white 18" pizza boxes. ( Unused ;-) )

I also put the ply parts on foam so you can use them as a template.

Click here for Marcels' line up.
http://www.balsabuddies.com/cutouts/Listing.htm#Mermaid

Marcel was so nice as to send his File directly to me for cutting prep.

Marcel, Thank again for another nice looking model.
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Mar 06, 2013, 04:33 PM
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Feb 2012
19 Posts
Thanks Marcel!

Marcel,

A big thank you for a nice BD-5 design! Also to Steve Shumate and the many others who have added to make this an easy build. With regards to your recent model postings, it looks like you have a particular style when it comes to at least these few models that we've seen from you. Very distinctive and interesting to hear about.

I've done a couple of scratch builds, but this is my first Depron build and has turned out to be the best so far. I was stuck on a blue foam build with certain design techniques, and found this helped me get a little more experience before going back to it. So again, thanks for making these plans available to learn by and enjoy!

I haven't gone through the entire thread, but I have enjoyed seeing the many cool renditions of this BD-5 and those things in the build and flying the plane to look for. Nice job guys!

I eventually decided on this build and not other kits available due to mostly cost and disinterest of their quality and design features. (IMO) On the models that were affordable to my budget, just didn't like the paint schemes. (Of course the expensive models were all sweet! )

When I happened to see an episode of "Modern Marvels - Gadgets of James Bond" on the History channel last year, (I quickly hit my DVR button!) that's when I became interested in getting a model or building a version of the Acrostar Jet that was flown by Bob Bishop. I've since read up some on it's history and the two versions; pusher/jet.

So then, it's been almost 2 months, but my build is basically done now, and it seems the RC enthusiast's at work last night give it a big thumbs up! The one guy is an RC instructor off duty and liked the clean build design - he didn't see any servos!

Also, the recommended motor setup you gave gives it an apparent more than 1:1 thrust. By holding the wingtip and slowly giving it throttle, it went past 90 deg.! And I like the idea of using this setup for the Polaris which I'm also interested in getting to eventually.

So looking forward to a good maiden when the Wx breaks here. Again thanks!
Avnxman80 is offline Find More Posts by Avnxman80
Last edited by Avnxman80; Mar 06, 2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 05:20 PM
Joined Feb 2012
19 Posts
The B-Dazzler!!

Ok everyone, here's my version of Marcel's BD-5 plans! Once I printed out the line drawing of the plane, and broke out the colored pencil's, this is pretty much what it looked like on paper after 10min.'s. What came to mind was a B(ee) theme, and what better moniker?... The B-Dazzler!

This is not covered in Monocote - it's colored shipping tape!

I have to add thanks to Ed from ExperimentalAirlines for the Armin Wing covering design method in covering this model. All the flight controls are integrated, no added hinges. Because of wanting to use this method (my first time doing so), my build was slightly different from the original plans.

Tail pieces and wings were covered after being cut. See Ed's videos online on how covering integrated flight controls are done. Basically score the depron, remove paper from Dollar Tree foam, angle cut the hinge area, apply tape. With the ailerons integrated on the wing, (original plans had these removed until rods were attached to servo) I was able to manuver the control rods successfully into place with the wings partially inserted to the fuse before having to epoxy.

Also because of what I read in the thread, I decided to beef up the wings. I had a 5.3mm carbon rod on hand, and it seemed to work ok.
I did my version of a KF wing (Kline-Fogleman as I found out) - - hopefully it won't be a problem when it comes to the maiden; meaning I tapered the TE of the piece I put on, not leaving it an actual step down as I've seen in the original concept. With this and all the tape and nose ballast, this has turned out a bit heavy at 655g/1.4# !!

The best local sticker solution was using Avery 18665 shipping labels. The RC store had ink jet printable water slide decals - 3 half sheets for almost $12 - too much! The Avery labels have a bit of a matte sheen, but show the background color thru on the unpainted parts not too badly. Had to cover them with clear shipping tape because I found out my sweaty palms smeared the ink after some handling. A friend mentioned he uses several light coats of an acrylic spray to protect his decals before applying.

The hive was free clip art, the Chex from the black tape cut on my cutting board with a full size template printout to cut thru, and a simple #5 set up in my paint program. I had tried using a honeycomb background behind the '5', but it made it too busy with the Chex.

That's it for now, hope you enjoy!
Last edited by Avnxman80; Mar 06, 2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 05:54 PM
Joined Feb 2012
19 Posts
Oops - deleted
Last edited by Avnxman80; Mar 06, 2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 12:04 PM
Joined Feb 2010
81 Posts
My BD5 and its friend the F18

Here is my Wonderful BD5. Built true to the original plan (out of $tree foam for the fuse with depron wings and control surfaces) at roughly 80% the size. Its running on a 5x5e prop with a 3000kv motor (pulls about 6-8A max) and a 1000mAh 3s. All up its about 250g and it has slightly better than a 1:1 power to weight ratio. In this config it needs about 50% to hold altitude, but it flies in the space of a basketball court with ease.

A sweetheart of a plane:

And here it is with its brother the f18: (both were finished at the same time)

catspider is offline Find More Posts by catspider
Old Mar 14, 2013, 08:26 PM
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2002
1,613 Posts
Looking at the pictures and I may be seeing wrong, but do some of the BDs use KFM airfoils?
byrocat is offline Find More Posts by byrocat
Old Mar 15, 2013, 06:11 AM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by byrocat View Post
Looking at the pictures and I may be seeing wrong, but do some of the BDs use KFM airfoils?
he said he did in post 1268........
pecanpatch is online now Find More Posts by pecanpatch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tiggers Big Show
Old Mar 15, 2013, 07:33 PM
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2002
1,613 Posts
Thanks!

Going to have to get the planset over to the LPS (local print shop) and run off a couple copies.....
byrocat is offline Find More Posts by byrocat
Old Mar 17, 2013, 09:29 PM
bps
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Apr 2001
809 Posts
Here is a picture of my attempt at a 22" ws version. This BD should be about 115 grams ready to fly with 2s lipo. KF airfoil covers the 3mm CF rod spar. 3mm Depron. More later after maiden.
bps is online now Find More Posts by bps
Old Mar 18, 2013, 04:06 PM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,393 Posts
So beautifull!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bps View Post
Here is a picture of my attempt at a 22" ws version. This BD should be about 115 grams ready to fly with 2s lipo. KF airfoil covers the 3mm CF rod spar. 3mm Depron. More later after maiden.
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio