Mar 05, 2010, 11:11 PM

It flys

Hello Tumbler,

Remember my vibration problems a week or so ago as I tried to maiden my HK500GT? I destroyed the tail and boom? Well, after replaciing every broken part with Align pieces (main shaft, tail shaft, tail bearings,) and my Logictech 2100T gyro which got buggered up (damn) I FINALLY got rid of the vibes and was able to do a REAL maiden flight. Smooooth. I replaced the Logictech gyro with the GY48V I think you said you used. It works fine, except one thing I don't understand about it. Though I am not a 3D flyer, I setup my few helis properly so that I have normal and idle up mode. The problem is when I flip the Tx switch to idle up, the gyro double flashes and the servo starts to creep. What do you think I am doing wrong? It's a new issue for me. Is it a setting on the gyro or tx (DX7) i need to fix? I have no trim or subtrim on the rudder BTW.

Thanks in advance for a reply.

Mark
to remove ads between posts
Mar 05, 2010, 11:26 PM
Hmm so if you flip to idle up, the tail rotor servo moves you are saying or the trim it self goes out when flying? I notice my rudder trim is different in idle up as well. I set it up in rate mode to be neutral without trim but when I flipped to heading hold mode it did require some adjustment. I used a couple clicks of trim which I know you are not supposed to do. Then when I flipped to idle up, the trim was a little different as well. I don't know if I have it set up right either. I just live with it I guess.

when I flip to idle up the light does not blick, but if I move the rudder stick then it does double blink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlinder
Hello Tumbler,

Remember my vibration problems a week or so ago as I tried to maiden my HK500GT? I destroyed the tail and boom? Well, after replaciing every broken part with Align pieces (main shaft, tail shaft, tail bearings,) and my Logictech 2100T gyro which got buggered up (damn) I FINALLY got rid of the vibes and was able to do a REAL maiden flight. Smooooth. I replaced the Logictech gyro with the GY48V I think you said you used. It works fine, except one thing I don't understand about it. Though I am not a 3D flyer, I setup my few helis properly so that I have normal and idle up mode. The problem is when I flip the Tx switch to idle up, the gyro double flashes and the servo starts to creep. What do you think I am doing wrong? It's a new issue for me. Is it a setting on the gyro or tx (DX7) i need to fix? I have no trim or subtrim on the rudder BTW.

Thanks in advance for a reply.

Mark
Mar 05, 2010, 11:42 PM
Tumbler,

I have no trim on the rudder in rate mode, as fly only in HH mode. Just normal flight mode no idle up. But nn the bench, to check th eidle up switch, I flip to idle up and it blinks w/o touching the rudder stick. and the rudder starts to creep.

I have never set a heli up in rate mode first, as I didn't see the point of it, since i always fly in HH mode. is this worng thinking and could it be related?

Mark
Mar 05, 2010, 11:46 PM
There are 2 schools of thought from what I have learned. Some say you don't need to set up in rate mode and some say you do. I have always set it up in rate mode and mechanically adjusted everything to be hands off, then turn off the heli and turn back on in HH mode. Whether that changes anything for you I don't know because I do know people set them up in HH mode. I only fly in HH mode as well, but I just followed the instructions because I am new to HH gyros. I used to fly helis yrs ago before they had HH gyros so this is new to me too. Sorry I can't be of more help. I know how frustrating these stupid things are! I have a battle going on with my 450 now!

Brian

Quote:
Tumbler,

I have no trim on the rudder in rate mode, as fly only in HH mode. Just normal flight mode no idle up. But nn the bench, to check th eidle up switch, I flip to idle up and it blinks w/o touching the rudder stick. and the rudder starts to creep.

I have never set a heli up in rate mode first, as I didn't see the point of it, since i always fly in HH mode. is this worng thinking and could it be related?

Mark
Mar 06, 2010, 12:13 AM
HA!

I fixed it. Brain fart for sure.

Somehow I had several clicks of rudder trim in there.

Once I zeroed out the trim - no more blinking gyro!

I guess all the changes/fixes I have done over the past week over-taxed my already limited brain capacity.

Tomorrow will be a good flying day! I am SO glad I didn't give up on this thing.

Mark
Mar 06, 2010, 12:51 AM
Oh man, I did that too. My cyclic was jumping when I switched flight modes and come to find out that each flight mode requires its out trimming. I was only trimming in normal mode, so when I switched to idle 1 or 2 the servos jumped like you described.

Good luck...have fun tomorrow!

Quote:
HA!

I fixed it. Brain fart for sure.

Somehow I had several clicks of rudder trim in there.

Once I zeroed out the trim - no more blinking gyro!

I guess all the changes/fixes I have done over the past week over-taxed my already limited brain capacity.

Tomorrow will be a good flying day! I am SO glad I didn't give up on this thing.

Mark
Mar 06, 2010, 11:57 AM
I can't find the battery to my video camera, but my girlfriend was nice enough to shoot some video with her regular camera for me. The quality is not the best, but shows some of what this thing can do with cheapo stuff.

Turnigy 930 cyclic servos
hs-82mg TR servo
GY48 Gyro
Hobbymate Motor
Flyermate 80a ESC
6s 3000 20c Turnigy battery

EXI/HK 500 Frankenheli (2 min 24 sec)

Brian
Mar 06, 2010, 12:03 PM
Check this out. My girlfriend has tried the sim about 5 times and this is the second time she has tried doing those "flippy things" as she calls them. I had to get this on video. Sorry for the crapy quality. I am off to get a battery for the vid camera now!

Val doing 3D on Realflight (0 min 35 sec)

Brian
Mar 06, 2010, 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler
I can't find the battery to my video camera, but my girlfriend was nice enough to shoot some video with her regular camera for me. The quality is not the best, but shows some of what this thing can do with cheapo stuff.

hs-82mg TR servo
GY48 Gyro
Hobbymate Motor
Flyermate 80a ESC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_50dUrd5Hl4

Brian
Nice flying, Tumbler!

Man, I only DREAM of being able to fly like that!

Well, my HK500GT is outfitted almost exactly like yours. Only difference is I have a JR DS3400G servo for the tai and a Turnigy Plush 80A ESC.

So knowing, that, at least I know my heli could do that in capable hands.

What heli do you use in your RealFlight sim? I have RF ver 3.5, but I let a buddy borrow it...like 8 months ago. I need to get that back...

BTW, it's raining/windy today - no flying for me. It's SoCAL for heaven's sake!

Mark
Mar 06, 2010, 04:24 PM
Gone Flying.
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler

hs-82mg TR servo
GY48 Gyro
Hobbymate Motor
Flyermate 80a ESC

Brian
Looking great, Brian, looks like you have all the kinks ironed out. You're braver than I am flying that 500. I just had mine out today, flew some circuits and some basic loops and rolls, need to queue up some 3000mAh 40C 3S LiPo packs for it at HobbyKing. Today brought some great sunny weather, light winds and about 40F outside, feels like Summer out here compared to most of February...
Mar 06, 2010, 04:36 PM
Thanks Mark. Yeah the worst part of my set up is the tail servo which I am waiting on and then will replace.

I have tried all the Trex downloads on the Knife edge swap pages, but I don;t like any of them. I found a Raptor 50 last night that feels pretty close to my heali but the roll and pitch response is just a little softer than I would like and dont think you can increase it...only reduce it. Here it is...

http://knifeedge.com/forums/download...o=file&id=2320

Quote:
Nice flying, Tumbler!

Man, I only DREAM of being able to fly like that!

Well, my HK500GT is outfitted almost exactly like yours. Only difference is I have a JR DS3400G servo for the tai and a Turnigy Plush 80A ESC.

So knowing, that, at least I know my heli could do that in capable hands.

What heli do you use in your RealFlight sim? I have RF ver 3.5, but I let a buddy borrow it...like 8 months ago. I need to get that back...

BTW, it's raining/windy today - no flying for me. It's SoCAL for heaven's sake!

Mark
Mar 06, 2010, 04:40 PM
I have been putting a lot of time in on the sim and so in an emergency I feel like I can react pretty quickly without thinking. I try not to crash on the sim and I think that helps. I think if I start to rely on the crashability of helis on the sim, it doesn't help me as much. I am by no means a great 3d guy, but I figure if I don't push it, I am not going to get any better. I just hate repairing and spending money so I will still fly within my abilities though. But of course accidents do happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWNY
Looking great, Brian, looks like you have all the kinks ironed out. You're braver than I am flying that 500. I just had mine out today, flew some circuits and some basic loops and rolls, need to queue up some 3000mAh 40C 3S LiPo packs for it at HobbyKing. Today brought some great sunny weather, light winds and about 40F outside, feels like Summer out here compared to most of February...
Mar 07, 2010, 12:15 PM
I would like to ask something.
I my hk 500 gt have the set up hobbyking suggest servo motor esc etc.
I used to fly with 2 x2200 3s 20 c(total 22.2 v) and 13 pinion.
The heli was very very fast (mabe more than normal) so i ordered a 5 s 3000 20 c.
The heli now behave smoother and it s speed is still enough.
The problem is that it look like servos become slower.
After some seconds of flying i get use of it but is there the possibility volts are not enougth?
Also rudder and gyro needs different set up probably because of lower head speed.
Maybe i must use seperate bec.
Mar 07, 2010, 03:34 PM
Markos,

I would suggest that you get a separate BEC that allows you to select 5V or 6V - most servos work faster at 6V than 5V.

Cheers,
Mike.
Mar 07, 2010, 03:54 PM
thank you for your help.
I am not so experience about seperate becs.
Is it possible some one suggest me one ?
Also the way to connect it.
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHRC
Markos,

I would suggest that you get a separate BEC that allows you to select 5V or 6V - most servos work faster at 6V than 5V.

Cheers,
Mike.

Quick Reply