Old Jan 15, 2009, 01:24 AM
Find More Posts by jason_ices
MALAYSIA
Joined Aug 2003
237 Posts
Discussion
Can we Play our RC Boat on Sea???

HI All,

I need some advice on Tips for sea water prevention for our RC boat. I live in an island (PENANG) in MALAYSIA, the 360 degree surronding are sea (salt water), May i know what prevention needed to protect our boat parts. Thanks in Advance.

JK
jason_ices is offline Find More Posts by jason_ices
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2009, 01:43 AM
Find More Posts by tigerbay
Joined Sep 2006
855 Posts
Thoroughly rinse with fresh water as soon as you take the boat out of the sea. Some people take large containers of fresh water with them, if there isn't any at the beach.

Make sure there is plenty of grease in the prop tube.

All oiled parts are well oiled, before going in the water. And after they come out of the water and you have rinsed/flushed them.
tigerbay is offline Find More Posts by tigerbay
Old Jan 15, 2009, 08:11 AM
Find More Posts by norgale
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,857 Posts
Ha! Ten thousand miles away. I didn't think you could go that far before you started coming home again. I have to check that out.
Nice looking "go fast " boats you have there. Do you run electric or gas? Either way the maintenance of your boats will be very important running in the salt water if they are to last for any length of time.
Probably most important is to have your shaft tube fitted with a grease nozzel so you can keep the shaft packed in a good quality grease that is waterproof or at least water resistent. The 880 hitemp grease from Texas Refinery Inc comes to mind for this but it's hard to find. It won't mix with water and it will take very high temperatures without melting. If you keep the shaft packed with grease then you won't have to remove the shaft after running the boat to clean and oil it evertime. The prop and rudder will greatly benefit from a fresh water bath and maybe a shot of WD-40 after use.
Inside the boat may not get wet but the salt air will get to it and that's almost as bad as the water itself. I like to use Vasaline for my electrical contacts as it keeps the moisture away and won't block the connection from working. Here again remove any parts like the batterys and receiver wipe them with a fresh water dampened cloth and then regrease the connections. Wipe down the whole boat too with fresh water and get the spray off the paint ect. If you have bus bars in the boat you can give them a shot of the WD-40 too and that will displace any moisture that may be present and it won't hurt anything in the boat. Bus bars can also benefit from a liberal spot of Vasaline whar the wires connect.
Every electrical connection and every piece of metal includingthe engine in the boat needs to be oiled or greased after each day of running. Your boat will practically last forever if you can get all this done. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
Last edited by norgale; Jan 15, 2009 at 08:35 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 11:24 AM
Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,975 Posts
Quote:
Can we Play our RC Boat on Sea???
Yes,...
but as always, we want pictures.
Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Jan 15, 2009, 08:28 PM
Find More Posts by jason_ices
MALAYSIA
Joined Aug 2003
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umi_Ryuzuki
Yes,...
but as always, we want pictures.

HI All, thanks for the info, here are some more.....
jason_ices is offline Find More Posts by jason_ices
Last edited by jason_ices; Jan 15, 2009 at 08:37 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 08:15 AM
Find More Posts by 420TEE
North Central TN USA
Joined May 2006
3,698 Posts
Nice looking boats. The fourth picture above looks like the very rare "leaping blue lobster."
420TEE is offline Find More Posts by 420TEE
Last edited by 420TEE; Jan 16, 2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old Yesterday, 06:51 PM
Find More Posts by cheewooi
Joined May 2005
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_ices View Post
HI All, thanks for the info, here are some more.....
Hi Jason,
Do you still boating today? I plan to bring my mono and cat GP back to Penang, but can't find a place to play. Any freshwater pond site for boating in Penang that you can recommend?
cheewooi is online now Find More Posts by cheewooi
Old Yesterday, 10:09 PM
Find More Posts by wolfiniron
Joined Apr 2015
32 Posts
We used to run ours on the bayous in Florida. They had fresh water rivers and creeks running into them so they weren't "real" ocean water but it was mostly salt water. The cooling systems really need to be flushed very well to get all of the salt out. The problem with the salt is that when the water evaporates out, the salt remains and get's as hard as rocks. Exterior metal parts need to be rinsed and oiled. We also made sure somebody had the "emergency jar". That was a jar full of alcohol for any electronics that got soaked with salt water. (Disconnect battery, open the case and drop it in) Water is bad for electronics but salt water is liquid death. Other than that, the only real danger was the drunken Yankee's in their jet boats trying to run us over.
wolfiniron is offline Find More Posts by wolfiniron
Old Today, 12:40 AM
Find More Posts by knahinu
Honolulu
Joined Oct 2009
3 Posts
We run our boats in saltwater here in Hawaii. We use lots of fresh water to flush the cooling jackets. And lots of wd40. We also use products like corrosion block, electric contact cleaner. In saltwater you got to remove your cables it will rust. Lube everything. Inspect all metal items and replace. Make sure your radio box is water tight.
knahinu is online now Find More Posts by knahinu