HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 01, 2013, 01:36 AM
Have Guitar Will Travel
The Digital Domain
Joined Nov 2008
1,367 Posts
Discussion
By By Walkera

HeliDirect is phasing out their line of Walker products.
The sales rep said they were dong this because of quality control problems.
Any thoughts or comments ?
TravisBean is offline Find More Posts by TravisBean
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2013, 03:05 AM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,373 Posts
Disclaimer, I have never BOUGHT a walkera, because all the things I READ about them.

Hasn't Walkera become largely irrelevant outside isolated markets where the alternatives are overpriced or overtaxed? In the same way that Esky has become irrelevant? While IMO Esky was more comprehensively engineered and manufactured.

JMO, having been an engineering integrity auditing engineer for Dell before they rendered that function irrelevant then became irrelevant themselves. There's a lot of irrelevance going around these days.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Nov 01, 2013, 08:44 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,378 Posts
I bought several Walkera combos from them late last year. they were selling them off then. Heli-direct is into big buck helis anyway. WK has droped the ball with helis/ they rehashed the Mini c/p to dumbed down Super c/p. The Master c/p is fairly new and good 250 size FBL.servos need replacement but still good deal. V450D03 is begginer 450 but not half bad and lowest price for FBL metal gear servo bird.
They have dabbled with mostly Quads for camera Geeks. I fly Walkrera and Blade/ Align from 100 sized c/p to 500 size. I enjoy all and had no failures related to helis them selves. Pilot error broke a few and some needed upgrades. I for one hopes Walkera steps up but they are doing the Quad thing. Blade will bury them and soon to release new flock of helis/ planes with SAFE.
Walkera just came out with G400 that is rehashed V400D02. It has GPS/ auto pilot and who knows? .
Some dislike WK and who cares? I have many, many hours on my WK birds, and all have long way to go yet. Same with Blade. Price for Align I see no advantage with extra $$ they get. I like them fine and fly well.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Nov 01, 2013, 11:31 AM
Joined Oct 2010
1,190 Posts
Well, personally, I was able to enjoy every Walkera product I have owned. I cut my heli teeth on the 4#3b (it admittedly was rough), But then I picked up a GeniusCP and it was great, Then the MiniCP and it's also great especially converted to brushless, the v120d02s came next and it was even better (could use a little more power so i converted it to 2s), I also owned a MasterCP (I think it's quite possibly the best CP trainer there is). I also own a HotenX (underpowered but still fun) and the ladybird which is a GREAT flying little quad. I also love my Devo10 transmitter, I have absolutely no issues with it.

That said, Walkera is mostly aimed at beginning fliers and their new stuff is aimed at fpv and well, I am at the point where I have outgrown most of their products and i'm not interested in fpv. But I still will be using my Devo10 on everything. I may even flash Deviation one day (just too lazy to program all my birds).

Walkera was/is best known for their micros, if they don't release any new micros helis, I could see them being the next esky at some point.
pmerritt is offline Find More Posts by pmerritt
Old Nov 01, 2013, 11:38 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,270 Posts
I think they got caught with a business plan that made them very vulnerable. Their business has always been based on frequent model turnover. That's the way things are done in the Chinese RC business, where 80% of sales occur at introduction of a new model. That worked pretty good when there was no competition. But, now they have WL toys pushing them on price in the Asian markets and they can't compete in the American market very well against Horizons very long product cycles and local support. It does not help that they rush products to market before they are ready, in an attempt to compete with Horizon. Even if they were good products, they lack the track record or support network.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Nov 01, 2013, 12:12 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,378 Posts
Both of last two postas are dead on. I have Genius c/p/ mini c/po/ Ladybirds/ Hoten-X/bl/ two master c/p and like them all. even my Scorpion Y-6 has held up great. V200D01 delite to fly/ V400D02 back in the box but repaired. That said their new stuff I have no use.
Blade helis Rock !1 HH support is first rate. Walkera doesn't give a flying !!!! about USA customers. Clone wars are knicking hello out of them. Dumb leadership will undue them. Not all flyers are noobies, want some other good offerings/ Blade does it over and over. Mcp-x bl/ Nano CP-X/ 300X 450x etc.
HEY WALKERA WAKE UP AND DO SOMETHING BEFORE TO LATE.!!!!!!
Revamp Master c/p with WK 7-6-9's/ Make available replacement gears for trash you put into M c/p. Same for V400. I know in vain and hope they have soup lines for ex WK folks.
Old Nov 01, 2013, 09:09 PM
United States, MN, Otsego
Joined Dec 2010
379 Posts
I have two genius CP's (the original not the V2) and I still fly them. They are great micros. Sure they have a weak spot where the skids bread easily and they are an integral part of the frame, all helis have their weak points but the genius cp's are what I learned CP on. I also have an older Exceed Eagle 50 (basically a Walkera 22e) It flys but I don't fly it much. I have several blade helis as well and love them all including the Blade SR UH-1 Huey.

I agree with the consensus of opinions that Walkera is fast losing market share. I really had hoped they would continue to do well as competition is good for the end users in anything.

Jim
jcmors is online now Find More Posts by jcmors
Old Nov 01, 2013, 09:21 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,270 Posts
Competition is certainly important. But, I think it's kind of like everything else in the business world. There's always leaner, meaner, smarter and hungry new company ready to take the place of a stale old company.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Nov 02, 2013, 12:17 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,378 Posts
I just replaced servo in my Genius c/p after many hours of flight, plus this was my first c/p heli to fly. It has been banged up more than a few times. As I worked on it took back to give it a good look. Thing is made very well and have two original Genius that still fly fine. I also have a very fine Mini c/p bl/ that flys as good as anything in its class.
My Blade Mcp-x's and WK birds are mostly flown everyday. I am fond of both brands and sure hope WK comes out of its Coma. E-sky was big seven or so years ago. Here in USA very much gone. I know clones have made big impact but they just copy brand name heli. I just bought a V262 big quad and protocol is different from V929. So my T9X will not work, plus I think V922 TX is different again,,..> Now thats B/S big time. All my Blade work off my DX6i/ all my Walkrea work off my Devo 7 TX. What I do like big time is all WK helis are set the same and all ch are normal/ no reverseing like Blade bigger helis. for this reason I may get V450D03. My other 450's are f/bared/ this is FBL.
Old Nov 02, 2013, 01:54 AM
Joined Sep 2013
11 Posts
I love the Walkera Super CP. Is very stable and nice to fly. Tried the Blade Nano CPX, too twitchy. Tried the Walkera V120D02 knock off by Nine Eagle. The quality is just not there. The radio was horrible. The V120D02 second version flys really nice. Have not tried the 6 axis one. The equivalent Blade 130X has more power, and controls slightly better, but is a 2S battery that is hard to get to and cost more.
Overall, I think Walkera products has matured. I cannot point to a product that is really much better. Blade mCP X may have BL motor, but their open servo is not durable. Walkera sealed servos are very smooth and precise. I land on dirt and sand many times. Would not do that with an open servo.
wombat661 is offline Find More Posts by wombat661
Old Nov 02, 2013, 10:11 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,126 Posts
The vendor in question, as well as Clubheli have started dropping Walkera nearly a year ago. However, other vendors stepped in quickly. Vendors drop brands from time to time for a number of reasons and it is common for them to bad mouth the dropped brand. The same thing happened in Hong Kong a year when Blade was dropped by three different vendors here.

The micro market has gone stagnant recently because of the lack of new models from any brand. It is wrong to think that only Walkera was affected by the clones. In fact, Blade discontinued the mCPX V2 last month. It is clearly no longer selling that well and profitable. The Chinese manufacturing partner for Blade also sued HiSky and WL Toys. Although it seems to have won, the court judgement was ignored by them. There is also a 130X clone which is due to be released soon. The way in which Blade released a large number in the past two years has annoyed a lot of vendors as well as users. This is exactly what Walkera used to do.

Each company has to make decisions based on its bottom line. Chinese companies tend to insist that each section be profitable and will not hesitate to cut that section if it proves a drag on the whole company. There are quite a lot of indications that Walkera is moving away from helis as strategic decision and/or because of internal problems.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Nov 02, 2013, 12:18 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,378 Posts
Mcp-x V2 was droped as Blade is going to SAFE system. They just released 180 QX with SAFE. I am most sure their will be a model to replace Mcp-x v2 soon.
Walkera has done more with its Quads.. What were they thinking on the Warrior? Silly toy like thingy. WK could very easily upgrade something like Mini c/p bl. They have the motors and esc's. even Super c/p that is doing well.
Again I like my Genius c/p/ Mini Master and my Ladybirds. Special fun is Hoten-X bl.
I hope they do ok and take a look at helis again, if not thats show biz ! Say as you may the little guys will out last the big boys big time. The big divot for Walkera is non support for their products. Vendors want the $$ and then its screw the customer if problem. HH will replace defective item or item damaged in transit. I think a happy customer is a repete loyal customer. WK code of silence will be there undoing at least here in USA.
Old Nov 02, 2013, 12:52 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,126 Posts
If they are just going to introduce SAFE, they could have just updated board and sell it as the mCPX V3 immediately without a gap. The chances are that if there is a replacement, there will be significant differences made to the frame like the mCPX BL. In which case, you cannot really call it a true V3. Posts by HH employees in HF suggest that no immediate replacement is forthcoming. In fact, they suggested that it may be time to stock up on parts now since they are still readily available. One employee went as far as to say that the mCPX BL is the V3. Although it is not certain how much those in CS actually know.

The stock mCPX may have been alright for sports flying but it is absolutely horrid for 3D. That was why many people have spent hundreds of dollars upgrading it. Sales of the mCPX have already evaporated in many countries even before the V2 appeared. That was why rc711 and a few other shops here did not even bother to carry the V2. I think the big problem for HH was not that sales of whole helis were falling. It was that a lot of cheap aftermarket and clone parts have become available.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Last edited by zadaw; Nov 02, 2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old Nov 02, 2013, 06:14 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2006
291 Posts
Walkera Going Strong Oversea

Base on sales of the microlinehobbies V120D02 slipper clutch, there is still a steady demand oversea for the V120D02 versions. I don't see any evidence that Walkera is dropping off the map. That is assuming sale of the clutch correlates with users of V120, which is probably true.
benmlee is offline Find More Posts by benmlee
Old Nov 02, 2013, 07:13 PM
Joined Apr 2012
234 Posts
I am another flier who has never owner a Walkera heli. I heard how crappy they were a few years ago and stayed away from them. I have since bought my micro helis from Nine Eagles and my micro planes from Horizon Hobby. I love the quality of both products so much that I wouldn`t buy from anyone else. Even if Walkera has gotten their act together and makes some decent helis now, I`d probably never try one.
I think Walkera had a reputation like Jaguar- they had a long period of really unreliable cars and now people are afraid of them. Even if Walkera is making a better product now, if the lack of service/support is as bad as people are saying, then people are going to avoid them anyway.
With all the really great helis from Nine Eagles and Blade at really cheap prices, why would anyone take the chance elsewhere?
MiG29Fulcrum is offline Find More Posts by MiG29Fulcrum