21,490 Posts
Pretty sweet man!
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2014, 03:30 PM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,443 Posts
Looking good man. With enough power I see no reason why it would not work out fine on electric power. If you have 90% FSA inlet area that should work out great, granted it's a long inlet but on the upside it's a straight shot at the fan so it will be fine I think. If you're worried about choking the fan, just end the duct short 2-4" in front of the fan and run it with a nice bellmouth.

A 14-15S Dynamax or Ramtec setup pushing 20-22lbs will be the ticket I think, and as you say there's plenty of room for batteries in there so no worries. Limiting yourself to 12S will drive the amps up way high and won't be fun, I agree with you on that.

Lay up a fuselage for me and I'll build it up and fly it EDF to prove it will be fine
Arngeir Blakseth is offline Find More Posts by Arngeir Blakseth
Old Mar 31, 2014, 09:14 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,923 Posts
I don't disagree it can be done. I find it a pita to even charge 2 6 s batteriesthough, so I really don't feel like doing a bigger battery setup. I watched BVM fly the skymaster a10 and then remove all the battery packs and just thought.....what a nightmare!

I may try an edf version eventually, but with a kid on the way and my building and flying time about to be limited, I want something that is a little less hassle. If all goes well, next winter I will do an edf version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arngeir Blakseth View Post
Looking good man. With enough power I see no reason why it would not work out fine on electric power. If you have 90% FSA inlet area that should work out great, granted it's a long inlet but on the upside it's a straight shot at the fan so it will be fine I think. If you're worried about choking the fan, just end the duct short 2-4" in front of the fan and run it with a nice bellmouth.

A 14-15S Dynamax or Ramtec setup pushing 20-22lbs will be the ticket I think, and as you say there's plenty of room for batteries in there so no worries. Limiting yourself to 12S will drive the amps up way high and won't be fun, I agree with you on that.

Lay up a fuselage for me and I'll build it up and fly it EDF to prove it will be fine
Tumbler is offline Find More Posts by Tumbler
Old Mar 31, 2014, 10:25 PM
Banzai Institute
United States, NY, West Seneca
Joined Oct 2005
537 Posts
Tumbler I hear ya on the battery hassle. Almost everything I build is scale and if I had to take the batteries out after every flight I would go batty. I use a different approach. I charge in the plane. I started out doing this when I flew with A123's and after switching to lipo's I kept it up. I use a Mastech CCCV power supply for charging at the field. It can do up to 30 volts @ 20Amps or up to 60 volts @10 amps. Its rated at 600 watts and I use a cheap Harbor Freight 900 watt generator to power it. Because of the CCCV circuitry it behaves just like an RC lipo charger except it does not have a balance function. Now before I get waxed let me say that I am extremely careful and I utilize a bunch of different safeguards while doing so. I have external charge ports and balance ports built in to all my planes. I use stand alone balancer's and I closely monitor the charge through out. I can watch each individual cell and I can tell you from experience that they rarely ever need balancing for a single days flying. I monitor my batteries so closely that I probably know them better then most people. I can tell you the weakest cell in every pack I own. A decent Lipo will not go out of balance in a days flying, if it does then you are about to lose a cell. This year I am upgrading the process to include audible temp. warnings for the packs and that should make it even safer. When I am done flying for the day I remove the packs and balance charge them to a store voltage at home with a standard RC Lipo charger. My Mastech can deleiver a 2C charge on all my big HV packs and up to 4 and 5C charges on the smaller packs although I never do more then 2C. A half hour charge is OK with me and it gives me time to relax and get ready for the next flight. Mastech makes a bunch of different CCCV power supply's. Some up to 1500 watts. The cost of high volume RC Lipo chargers capable of 2C charges on 12s packs is quite high, and you would need a good power supply like the Mastech to power it anyway. My philosophy has been to spend my money on the power supply instead of having multiple packs for a days flying. After doing it this way for years I couldn't imagine doing it any other way.

Dean
buckaroo is offline Find More Posts by buckaroo
Old Apr 02, 2014, 11:54 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,182 Posts
Doing big electric you need a big charger

I have a power lab 8 on a dual 55 amp 12v power supplies in series for 24v

I can charge 4 - 6s 8000 mah packs in 25 - 30 minutes

I also agree with having to take packs out of plane that are hard to reach....

I've gotten to the point were I research pack placement before I will build or buy a plane... if it looks like a pain I won't mess with it. I saw the video of BV taking the packs out of his A-10 and it did look like a mess. I'm lucky my F-18 is really easy to access the packs

My jet legend hawk, it's very easy to access the packs too..... I'm now running 12s 8000 mah pack. I have two sets so I can fly one set while the other charges... add in one more plane with a couple packs on my other charges and I can fly none stop all I wanted

It just take more planning with electric, I just love messing with chargers and batteries too so I'm kind of a strange duck...lol

it's going to fly great no matter how you choose to enjoy it, looking forward either way
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Apr 03, 2014, 06:21 AM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,923 Posts
Yeah, I hear ya Ron. I have the power lab 6 so I can do the same thing. I still hate charging batteries for my XXX. I charge 2 6s 6600s in less than 30 minutes, but I have to remove them from the plane, walk over to the charging area at my field, get them all set up to charge and hope there is room for me to set up, check on them every once in a while, then go get them and install back in the plane, etc. All for a 6 minute flight. In that time, I could have fueled and flown my Flash 3 times.

I will definitely lay up another one and do an Electric. I am thinking I may even do it like the plans call for which is similar to old school BVM where the wing is all once piece. The bottom of the fuse is cut out to create a belly pan. Like this.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron101 View Post
Doing big electric you need a big charger

I have a power lab 8 on a dual 55 amp 12v power supplies in series for 24v

I can charge 4 - 6s 8000 mah packs in 25 - 30 minutes

I also agree with having to take packs out of plane that are hard to reach....

I've gotten to the point were I research pack placement before I will build or buy a plane... if it looks like a pain I won't mess with it. I saw the video of BV taking the packs out of his A-10 and it did look like a mess. I'm lucky my F-18 is really easy to access the packs

My jet legend hawk, it's very easy to access the packs too..... I'm now running 12s 8000 mah pack. I have two sets so I can fly one set while the other charges... add in one more plane with a couple packs on my other charges and I can fly none stop all I wanted

It just take more planning with electric, I just love messing with chargers and batteries too so I'm kind of a strange duck...lol

it's going to fly great no matter how you choose to enjoy it, looking forward either way
Old Apr 03, 2014, 06:28 AM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,923 Posts
Wow, sounds like you have a quite a set up there! I just buy one good pack for big planes as well, but I don't think I am ready to start charging in the plane. Just the other day on RCU I saw a thread about another house fire. I know I am not going to be as diligent about checking the balance of each cell like you, and even so I don't know how much that ensures I would not have an issue. I am so happy my field has a charging area now so I don't need to bring my generator, so I am not going to then drag my plane over to the charging area and monitor it. Thank you for sharing another option for us to use. unfortunately it is just not practical for my field.
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
Tumbler I hear ya on the battery hassle. Almost everything I build is scale and if I had to take the batteries out after every flight I would go batty. I use a different approach. I charge in the plane. I started out doing this when I flew with A123's and after switching to lipo's I kept it up. I use a Mastech CCCV power supply for charging at the field. It can do up to 30 volts @ 20Amps or up to 60 volts @10 amps. Its rated at 600 watts and I use a cheap Harbor Freight 900 watt generator to power it. Because of the CCCV circuitry it behaves just like an RC lipo charger except it does not have a balance function. Now before I get waxed let me say that I am extremely careful and I utilize a bunch of different safeguards while doing so. I have external charge ports and balance ports built in to all my planes. I use stand alone balancer's and I closely monitor the charge through out. I can watch each individual cell and I can tell you from experience that they rarely ever need balancing for a single days flying. I monitor my batteries so closely that I probably know them better then most people. I can tell you the weakest cell in every pack I own. A decent Lipo will not go out of balance in a days flying, if it does then you are about to lose a cell. This year I am upgrading the process to include audible temp. warnings for the packs and that should make it even safer. When I am done flying for the day I remove the packs and balance charge them to a store voltage at home with a standard RC Lipo charger. My Mastech can deleiver a 2C charge on all my big HV packs and up to 4 and 5C charges on the smaller packs although I never do more then 2C. A half hour charge is OK with me and it gives me time to relax and get ready for the next flight. Mastech makes a bunch of different CCCV power supply's. Some up to 1500 watts. The cost of high volume RC Lipo chargers capable of 2C charges on 12s packs is quite high, and you would need a good power supply like the Mastech to power it anyway. My philosophy has been to spend my money on the power supply instead of having multiple packs for a days flying. After doing it this way for years I couldn't imagine doing it any other way.

Dean
Old Apr 03, 2014, 09:14 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,182 Posts
Looking good Brian!
It really takes two sets of packs per plane if you want to bang out flights.... and if you really want to fly lots you need to bring another plane with a couple sets of packs for it.

On average I'll knock out 10 flights on a day at the field... I like to BS with the guys and take my time so most of the time I"m there 4 or 5 hours to get in those flights.

We have power at each table so that helps alot or at my more remote field I bring my own generator. With two sets of pack you can put on one set to charge, go get ready and fly your other by the time you get done you have like 10 minutes for the other set to finish. If you have another plane you fly it or take a break.... I could fly non stop I just don't like to.

For me it's still the smell of that dam kero or diesel in my car, house, hands, that I can't stand.... I thought of Bio Diesel 100 you can drink the stuff and it runs fine with the king tech stuff, very little odor too. It's just hard to find 100% around here and not worth the hour drive to get that fuel. Barry from king tech did some testing with it and the motor ran fine. May not be good in your area as it gels around 40 degrees, here in california it's not an issue.
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Apr 03, 2014, 11:03 AM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,171 Posts
HI Brain,
Where did you get the pics of the wings? that is the wings from My Usher F100... I got it in trade for a JHH A7 ARF .Did I get it from you?. George Lou built it. I have been moding it make it a bit more scale
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Last edited by turbonut; Apr 04, 2014 at 12:36 AM.
Old Apr 04, 2014, 07:11 AM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,923 Posts
Well, only fly my electrics to kill time in between turbine flights LOL. Electric just bores me without the smell and sound of a turbine. Its funny how different all our preferences are, ya know?? I agree about the smell in the car! I have a "beater" SUV that is just for my planes and dont ever put ker in my good car.

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron101 View Post
Looking good Brian!
It really takes two sets of packs per plane if you want to bang out flights.... and if you really want to fly lots you need to bring another plane with a couple sets of packs for it.

On average I'll knock out 10 flights on a day at the field... I like to BS with the guys and take my time so most of the time I"m there 4 or 5 hours to get in those flights.

We have power at each table so that helps alot or at my more remote field I bring my own generator. With two sets of pack you can put on one set to charge, go get ready and fly your other by the time you get done you have like 10 minutes for the other set to finish. If you have another plane you fly it or take a break.... I could fly non stop I just don't like to.

For me it's still the smell of that dam kero or diesel in my car, house, hands, that I can't stand.... I thought of Bio Diesel 100 you can drink the stuff and it runs fine with the king tech stuff, very little odor too. It's just hard to find 100% around here and not worth the hour drive to get that fuel. Barry from king tech did some testing with it and the motor ran fine. May not be good in your area as it gels around 40 degrees, here in california it's not an issue.
Old Apr 04, 2014, 07:12 AM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,923 Posts
Nice! I came across them online somewhere when searching for F-100 pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut View Post
HI Brain,
Where did you get the pics of the wings? that is the wings from My Usher F100... I got it in trade for a JHH A7 ARF .Did I get it from you?. George Lou built it. I have been moding it make it a bit more scale