Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:35 PM
Finally made a maiden flight!
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2008
369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemynameis View Post
Yes but I was talking about the stock prop on the FMS planes. Airfoil shape of the blade might also help. Does anybody know the pitch on the 4 blade on the 1700 P-47.

No idea on the P-47 prop. I'm pretty sure the stats on at least the P-51 is posted somewhere in that thread.
But yes, pitch will be a factor to consider. I like the Varioprop for this reason. I also feel they have the paddle that most accurately represents the Hamilton Standard.

Aros, a side view would be a better way. The photo introduces perspective... Prop looks bigger in relation to the legs. It IS obviously bigger than stalk, but the front view like that is gonna give a perspective that the prop looks bigger.. This is why us fisherman push our fish closer to the camera

See.......
alpinemike is offline Find More Posts by alpinemike
Last edited by alpinemike; Feb 02, 2013 at 03:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:51 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,304 Posts
LOL...I got ya.
Aros is online now Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:52 PM
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
3,601 Posts
I would think a motor in the 250KV range would be ok for the scale size prop.

As many people know, but most gas/nitro people seem to forget, these electric motors don't operate in a specific power band. They have almost 100% torque all the way through the rpm range and therefore do not require a gearbox.

It's not impossible, it only requires a slightly lower KV motor and a suitable ESC.

Steve
dambit is offline Find More Posts by dambit
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:29 PM
Joined Jan 2011
341 Posts
Question for anyone in the know.... Are there any sales figures floating around on the P47,vs the Mustang and Corsair? The reason I ask this is the USA dist just dropped the free shipping which puts the price up to darn near $500. I myself will not pay that much for a foam airplane. I'm not trying to start the bebate on foam vs built-up. It just seems to me that double the price of a 1400mm model of the same type and from the same manufacturer seams outawack! I know they have bigger motors,esc, servos,etc, but these items aren't top of the line pieces. It seems to me that the sale prices of the P47 are more in line of what they should be and that more units of the mustang and corsair would be sold at this price level, which would in turn give more incentive to do other models.IMHO I think this hurts sales more than size and transporting. I know that if I want a big plane and want to fly it, bygolly I'm gonna find a way to get it to the field! If they can sell the P47 for under $400, and you know they are still making money, then why not the others? Forgive me for ranting, but I had to get this off my chest.
warbirdfan2 is offline Find More Posts by warbirdfan2
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:54 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dambit View Post
I would think a motor in the 250KV range would be ok for the scale size prop.

As many people know, but most gas/nitro people seem to forget, these electric motors don't operate in a specific power band. They have almost 100% torque all the way through the rpm range and therefore do not require a gearbox.

It's not impossible, it only requires a slightly lower KV motor and a suitable ESC.

Steve
Now you're talking Steve! I was just talking to a buddy today who is an aeronautical engineer about this very debate we have going. Without going into detail (and because I'm too stupid to retain all of the info) the bottom line was without knowing the data from the prop, a lower KV motor was agreed upon as the most obvious solution to a scale-size prop to battle the added inertia, etc.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:57 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
8,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbirdfan2 View Post
Question for anyone in the know.... Are there any sales figures floating around on the P47,vs the Mustang and Corsair? The reason I ask this is the USA dist just dropped the free shipping which puts the price up to darn near $500. I myself will not pay that much for a foam airplane. I'm not trying to start the bebate on foam vs built-up. It just seems to me that double the price of a 1400mm model of the same type and from the same manufacturer seams outawack! I know they have bigger motors,esc, servos,etc, but these items aren't top of the line pieces. It seems to me that the sale prices of the P47 are more in line of what they should be and that more units of the mustang and corsair would be sold at this price level, which would in turn give more incentive to do other models.IMHO I think this hurts sales more than size and transporting. I know that if I want a big plane and want to fly it, bygolly I'm gonna find a way to get it to the field! If they can sell the P47 for under $400, and you know they are still making money, then why not the others? Forgive me for ranting, but I had to get this off my chest.
The reason the P-47 at BH is under $400 is because its the V1 model.
Mikemynameis is online now Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:02 PM
Finally made a maiden flight!
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2008
369 Posts
Quote:
. It just seems to me that double the price of a 1400mm model of the same type and from the same manufacturer seams outawack! I know they have bigger motors,esc, servos,etc, but these items aren't top of the line pieces. .
And a 1,400mm model next to this beast would really look outtawack! The 1,700mm line is way bigger... I payed 380.00 plus nearly 80.00 or more in shipping... Raymond @ RC-Castle sent the upgrades afterwords for no additional cost NOT EVEN SHIPPING!!! worth every single penny!! The 1,400 series and 1,700 series are completely different...
alpinemike is offline Find More Posts by alpinemike
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:10 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,304 Posts
Yep, you get what you pay for and in the case of the 1700, you're getting MUCH larger size and more powerful motors/ESCs/servos, etc...Personally, while I can totally understand why there are those who would not want to spend close to $500 on a foam warbird, I think their price point is reasonable based on what you're getting.

I just got back flying my 1400 FMS P-38 and 1450 FMS P-51B. Both are fantastic-looking, detailed, quality planes that fly great.

But nothing beats the experience of flying a 1700 size. It's just a different level of experience to me. The presence on the ground and in the air...Where the 1400's still give off a "model" feel, the 1700's have much more presence in the air and you feel a bit more like you're flying the full scale, simply shrunk down. I don't get that same feeling with the 1400s.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:20 PM
Joined Jan 2011
341 Posts
Well I guess I am wrong... But I just don't feel as though there is twice as much foam,motor,esc,servo,etc,etc,etc. Some will say If you don't like the price, don't buy it. Well that is what I will do. I will vote with my wallet, and no more 1700mm, birds will be made I guess? Sorry to disrupt the coveration of Prop size.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:34 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
8,527 Posts
Thank about what you going to pay when you get done with a Hanger 9 plane
Mikemynameis is online now Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:42 PM
Joined Jan 2011
341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemynameis View Post
Thank about what you going to pay when you get done with a Hanger 9 plane
I posted that I didn't want to start the debate of foam vs built up. I am talking about 1400mm vs 1700mm of the same material. I did THANK about what I would pay for a built up model.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:18 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,304 Posts
I'm not trying to talk you into spending the money warbirdfan2, but I feel once you get a taste of the 1700 class, you may then understand the price point. I totally get why you feel how you do and nobody should try to make you feel bad about how you feel (and nobody here is), but I sincerely believe it's one of those things that you just have to see for yourself and then decide if it's still too much money.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:25 PM
Joined Jan 2011
341 Posts
I DO have the 1700mm P47. I also want to get both the Mustang and the Corsair. And I agree 100% that they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. My point is that FMS says they wouln't be doing anything with the 1700mm line because of slow sales. On the P47 they Botched the canopy, which they had right on the 1400mm. So I bought a canopy for an ESM P47 to correct that. Did someone in their design dept. say " Hey lets add a rib in the middle of the Bubble canopy,that would be cool". Then theres the fiasco with your prop hub! And not to mention the dihedral in the wings.! How many people are stuck with wings that look like someone stepped on them. You were chatting about props. Look at the price of spare props. On a 1400mm V7 Mustang thhey are $9. On the1700mm Mustang they are$12, not $18 or twice as much. MY contention is that as much as ability to tranport, their pricing is the reason they aren't selling well, which is the whole point of my post. I REALLY want to see more 1700mm birds, but I think we wouln't because of the price. They can blame it on the economy if they want , but My opinion is that they are priced too high. I'm going to bed now, and maybe when I get up I'll be in a better mood!
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:49 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,304 Posts
Quote:
I DO have the 1700mm P47. I also want to get both the Mustang and the Corsair. And I agree 100% that they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Sorry, I missed that part.

Quote:
My point is that FMS says they wouldn't be doing anything with the 1700mm line because of slow sales.
Well, it's not accurate for me or anyone to say they won't be "doing anything with the 1700mm line" because of slow sales. What I am saying is that they have shifted focus to their more prosperous 1400 series due to what they call a sluggish world economy and concerns by consumers that the 1700 is too large to transport by ordinary means (and smaller vehicles). However, they never said they would stop production all together. I think they are simply riding out the waves of the economy until the 1700 line makes more sense from a mass production standpoint.

Quote:
On the P47 they Botched the canopy, which they had right on the 1400mm. So I bought a canopy for an ESM P47 to correct that. Did someone in their design dept. say " Hey lets add a rib in the middle of the Bubble canopy,that would be cool". Then theres the fiasco with your prop hub! And not to mention the dihedral in the wings.! How many people are stuck with wings that look like someone stepped on them.
Yes indeed, even FMS isn't immune to the occasional "HUH!??" No doubt. The 1400 V2 F4U-4 Corsair just released failed to offer a retractable tail wheel. In this day and age, that's one giant "HUH!??" especially when you consider the bar that FMS otherwise normally sets for itself. I wish I could get into the mindset of their engineering and development departments to understand why they can put out such gorgeous scale models yet miss sometimes on such obvious areas.

Quote:
You were chatting about props. Look at the price of spare props. On a 1400mm V7 Mustang they are $9. On the1700mm Mustang they are $12, not $18 or twice as much. MY contention is that as much as ability to transport, their pricing is the reason they aren't selling well, which is the whole point of my post. I REALLY want to see more 1700mm birds, but I think we wouldn't because of the price. They can blame it on the economy if they want , but My opinion is that they are priced too high. I'm going to bed now, and maybe when I get up I'll be in a better mood!
I won't argue with you about price point. We all have our own opinions on what we think a product is worth to us. Personally, I wouldn't mind if the retail price was $325 not closer to $400. But then I think about the pleasure these 1700's have given me. Is the extra $75 bucks or so worth the pleasure, the moments, the memories, the experience?

HECK yes! Now that's just me. I get how others would use completely different parameters to measure what a plane's monetary value is to them based on their own criteria.

In the end, you tend to get what you pay for. I could spend $85 bucks on some pretty cool little warbirds at Hobby King...yeah, there's some fun to be found there, but it's just nowhere near the impact nor the fun and excitement I can get from these large scale warbirds.

Given all the features, quality and size, I'm not disgusted by the price point. Would I like to see more sales slashing prices? Absolutely.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:43 AM
Space Drydock 22
Finland, Kuopio
Joined Aug 2010
192 Posts
1700mm + 300mm = 2000mm, would that 300mm raise the moments, the memories and the experience even more close to the real thing? I mean here the LX 2000mm P-40.

It would be nice to see some FMS 2000mm warbirds in the future.
SanctusSanctorum is offline Find More Posts by SanctusSanctorum