HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2012, 03:24 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,230 Posts
How is different stock 9x channel mapping than BNF models ?

What I don't understand... if you have one/many BNF... it's assumed you already have a radio for them... what's the point to have a second one ?
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 03:32 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,194 Posts
Stock 9x has Futaba channel assignment, Spektrum / BNF have JR assignment.

Many people do not have BNF's yet because they don't have a Spektrum radio, but would love them and this is finally a cheap solution.
I got a 9x 9 months ago because it could be modded to DSM, I wanted to get some BNFs but didn't want to pay $500 for the first Spektrum radio that had a pot on it...

Some also have a DX4/DX5, upgrading to a programmable radio for cheap would be interesting. Not needed to carry 2 radios is another reason.
Kilrah is online now Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Nov 02, 2012, 04:07 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,230 Posts
One more reason to reflash 9x...

You and BNF ?! thought you are a builder...
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Nov 02, 2012, 04:48 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,194 Posts
Me, building? You must be confusing with someone else

I often mod my stuff quite a bit yeah, but the more is done at the start the better
Love my little FPV Sbach UMX

Old Nov 02, 2012, 06:27 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,474 Posts
An FPV Sbach? Wow. That thing is so small. I guess it has the power to haul the load. But you have to keep the speed up I bet.
shahram72 is online now Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Nov 02, 2012, 07:28 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSails View Post
I am hoping the new transmitter has ball bearing gimbals.... That is my biggest missing item for my existing 9x...

Alright, maybe more memory, faster processor but if it can't run ER9x I won't even consider it....
This brings up a question that has been on my mind for some time. Can you transplant a good set of Ball bearing gimbals into a 9x?. I have a good radio with a good set of ball bearing gimbals how much work is there to installing these gimbals into a 9x? THANKS
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 02, 2012, 07:32 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,194 Posts
Some have been fitting Hitec Aurora gimbals, yes. They're available from a few stores.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 07:47 AM
Tail-in hoverer.
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2008
421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post

What I don't understand... if you have one/many BNF... it's assumed you already have a radio for them... what's the point to have a second one ?
I didn't think that was the agenda.

I thought the agenda was members like myself who fly Futaba and Turnigy 9X can finally get UMX BNF models without needing a new Spektrum radio, we can just use this module instead.

Thats really the only point I can think of, and probably the only point for anyone else in the same position as me, because I believe Futaba FASST and Turnigy FrSky are both superior to Spektrum DSM2 and DSMX.
(DSMX have only just finally caught up with FASST and FrSky)

[Edit: It appears that others have said pretty much the same thing. To get BNF models, particularly UMX models and not get a new radio]

[Edit: If you want to put bearings into the gimbals, you would have the most luck swapping out the entire gimbal with an aftermarket replacement, and the replacement would probably have a higher quality pot in it too.]
Sad Sack is offline Find More Posts by Sad Sack
Old Nov 02, 2012, 07:53 AM
Tail-in hoverer.
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2008
421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah View Post
Me, building? You must be confusing with someone else

I often mod my stuff quite a bit yeah, but the more is done at the start the better
Love my little FPV Sbach UMX

Kilrah hi

What RF protocol are you using between your Turnigy and the UMX Sbach? Do you have the Spektrum module already?
Sad Sack is offline Find More Posts by Sad Sack
Old Nov 02, 2012, 08:03 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post

Many people, like me, were told that the Spektrum DX5e was (sic) the cheapest radio for a beginner or the best for a beginner. Now when I found cheap recievers (before I had even bought the radio) I bought five thinking they would work like the old analogue radios. After destroying a couple, I have 3 small parkflyer receivers, one 6ch ORX and a broken 9X and a few of it's receivers. The reason I am waiting on the 9XR is to use the RXs that are currently taking up space.

And you may ask "Why don't you get another 9X and then the DSM module?"

Because I still have the 9X's module, on which I will put a patch antenna and the in the 9XR for my future FPV planes.

The DSM + 9XR is the best of both worlds really.

Darcy
molond is offline Find More Posts by molond
Old Nov 02, 2012, 08:07 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob Mike View Post
What RF protocol are you using between your Turnigy and the UMX Sbach? Do you have the Spektrum module already?
I did the DSM mod using the module from a DX4e.
That was the only cheap way to get a powerful Spektrum-compatible radio... But it required some hacking of course, which isn't for everybody.

The new HK module changes the deal completely
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:08 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah View Post
I did the DSM mod using the module from a DX4e.
That was the only cheap way to get a powerful Spektrum-compatible radio... But it required some hacking of course, which isn't for everybody.

The new HK module changes the deal completely
Can you maybe share which fpv equipment you are using on this tiny bird ...Is there maybe a LOS/FPV video of it flying?
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Old Nov 05, 2012, 03:25 AM
France, Aquitaine, Blaye
Joined Jan 2010
93 Posts
En effet, RCG est depuis quelques années un gros foutoir où n'importe qui se prend pour un connaisseur même s'il n'a aucune idée, et certains sont tellement sûrs d'eux qu'ils donnent des infos carrément fausses mais d'une manière tellement convaincante qu'il y en a qui se retrouvent à les croire et se retrouvent avec autre chose que ce qu'ils voulaient... Justement la vraie bonne info est tellement noyée que ça devient dur de la trouver.

Un petit Suisse au Chômage ????,,,, çà ce peut pas !!!
Rubis is offline Find More Posts by Rubis
Last edited by Rubis; Nov 05, 2012 at 08:17 AM.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:54 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
Can you maybe share which fpv equipment you are using on this tiny bird ...Is there maybe a LOS/FPV video of it flying?
A little OT, but... since there's still nothing on topic anyway, let's go

Micro 1gr camera with lens replaced with one from an HK wing cam, 5.8G 20mW TX, HK 1.8gr digital servo modified for 180° (resistors added inside, tiny)

I then added an u.FL connector on the video TX to add a cloverleaf antenna

Video... never ended up making a decent one, but I had one before I aligned the lens correctly:
Sbach 342 UMX FPV (3 min 47 sec)

And some raw flight on a windy day after it...

Sbach full flight (8 min 14 sec)
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:28 PM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,505 Posts
Hmm. I'm now torn between a 9xR and an Aurora 9, assuming that I can somehow get bearing gimbals with the 9xR if it doesn't come standard. Did I misread some posts saying it'd have built-in DSMX, FrSky, and UHF? If it does, I damn well hope I can get some half-decent bearing gimbals on it.
acetech09 is offline Find More Posts by acetech09