HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:54 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,759 Posts
great flying, and I can hear you having a laugh .... try doing that with an aeroplane... these little machines are certainly great fun
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:53 AM
Mtz
Romania, PH, Ploiesti
Joined Mar 2012
552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomQ View Post
Great video.
But when you will make the next video can you record also your hands too see what you do? I think you can just lift your hands in front of the camera.
Mtz is offline Find More Posts by Mtz
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:37 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,672 Posts
I need help just as MTZ does. I cannot get the hang of this thing and make it turn. If you just use rudder, it spins on its center axis like a spinning plate. If you combine it with elevator, it dips to whatever side you use and wants to crash. I guess I just don't get it. Seeing somebody's hands doing simple maneuvers would help.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:44 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
I need help just as MTZ does. I cannot get the hang of this thing and make it turn. If you just use rudder, it spins on its center axis like a spinning plate. If you combine it with elevator, it dips to whatever side you use and wants to crash. I guess I just don't get it. Seeing somebody's hands doing simple maneuvers would help.
You must maintain forward flight for coordinated turns to work. The secret is to start by flying forward very, very slowly and leading the turns with the rudder.

It's all in the feel and muscle memory. You can only really build up muscle memory this by doing.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:52 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,394 Posts
Tom,
Excellent flying! Kind of like what Watrhox does with his multicopter builds, and you are doing it in a much smaller airspace
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomQ View Post
I had little radio control flight experience when I bought both a BNF and RTF mQX in January. I also had a DX6i that I had little experience with.

After much experimenting I can confidently say that the DX6i is a big improvement over the stock controller for flying the mQX.
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:34 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,474 Posts
Quote:
I learned this in simulator first on helis. Planes turn similar. You can't be shown, it's a feel you have to develop. You are coordinating yaw, banking and elevator for this, and then for a newb like you and me, correcting quickly with aileron as you exit the turn. I learned this first on the MQX after the sim. Cause it goes where you point it, can't blame the heli!
shahram72 is online now Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:05 PM
United States, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Oct 2000
916 Posts
Quote:
If you fly planes, the mQX (or any heli with a heading hold gyro on the tail) turns like a plane that requires rudder for a nicely coordinated turn. Since the rudder gyro is trying to hold the last commanded heading, you have to use the rudder stick during the entire turn to make the airframe rotate as you bank it through the turn. If you apply rudder and release, the airframe will yaw and then stop when you release before the turn completes, even if you are holding a bank angle.

In forward flight with the mQX, a coordinated turn is a combination of (in pretty much this order):

1. Aileron (to bank in the desired direction).

2. Elevator (to prevent the "nose" from dropping as the turn commences).

3. Rudder (to actually produce the turn, since there is no aerodynamic force from a fuselage or tail like there is on an airplane).

Those three steps actually overlap as needed, to produce the banked turn. How much stick movement will depend on forward speed, wind, etc. You will find that you need to hold rudder until the turn is completed or the turn will stop and the mQX will just fly sideways.

I like to practice making small gentle side to side "S" turns. Remember, the mQX needs to be moving forward before the turn commences for any of this to apply. If not, you are just yawing around the vertical axis.

If it helps, remember that in any maneuver, the force from the rotors has to balance the forces of inertia and gravity. So from a straight line flight, to turn you need to bank to one side (which adds a sideways component) and at the same time add rudder (so the sideways component is directed in an arc). Or think of it as a car.... if you try to turn a car sharply, it will skid unless you are on a banked track.

Paul
pgoelz is offline Find More Posts by pgoelz
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:42 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,672 Posts
Great advice that will just require experimenting and practice. Thanks.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:10 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,112 Posts
Lost mine in a cornfield behind my house..went looking for it, but no luck....getting dark, so, I will either look for it tomorrow or get another one...looking for a used BNF MQX.

Somewhere out there to the left half way out!!
Jake8131 is offline Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:54 PM
Joined Apr 2008
116 Posts
Inexpensive locator beeper just for you

I'm on my third mQx and am determined to not lose this one. To that end I installed a beeper that only weighs a few grams. You can specify from the builder what start time you want and it beeps until the battery goes dead from that point onward. In my case, it's a 15 minute delay from battery connection to beep start. Since I get 9 minutes flying time, that means if I lose it, there's another six minutes to wait and perhaps to get closer to the area.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post22355624

I'm also considering to build a plastic parabolic sound collector
to make it easier to hear the beeping should it be necessary.

If you find your copter, the battery is going to be very very puffy and of course, useless. Mine was in a tree for 24 hours.
fred_dot_u is offline Find More Posts by fred_dot_u
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:02 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
Joined Dec 2010
3,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred_dot_u View Post
I'm on my third mQx and am determined to not lose this one. To that end I installed a beeper that only weighs a few grams. You can specify from the builder what start time you want and it beeps until the battery goes dead from that point onward. In my case, it's a 15 minute delay from battery connection to beep start. Since I get 9 minutes flying time, that means if I lose it, there's another six minutes to wait and perhaps to get closer to the area.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post22355624

I'm also considering to build a plastic parabolic sound collector
to make it easier to hear the beeping should it be necessary.

If you find your copter, the battery is going to be very very puffy and of course, useless. Mine was in a tree for 24 hours.
It is supposed to thunderstorm tonight...I did go looking but it is a big cornfield. I will probably just replace it...I just need a bnf.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:18 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,335 Posts
With a plane we would just wiggle the stick while walking around the field and listen for the servos, but with a quad I guess all you can do is bump the throttle and see if you hear it.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:31 PM
Joined Apr 2008
116 Posts
with the mQx, if you do that enough to get the props stuck, it shuts down and moves no more. I tried that when it got stuck in some high shrubbery, hoping to work it loose, but no such luck.
fred_dot_u is offline Find More Posts by fred_dot_u
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:20 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
Joined Dec 2010
3,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
With a plane we would just wiggle the stick while walking around the field and listen for the servos, but with a quad I guess all you can do is bump the throttle and see if you hear it.
Tried that...it is supposed to storm tonight, so I guess a trip to the LHS for a BNF MQX is in order.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:44 AM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
Joined Dec 2010
3,112 Posts
My wife went out to look for it this morning (didn't want me to spend money on a new one) and she found it...the battery was puffed and toasted, but I put in a new battery and flys as good as it always did...wow!