Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:27 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
That must be a very small lipo. I'm amazed he built it at that weight with the gear he used. But then again, looks like he cut every gram of weight that could be cut. Those metal linkage rods are heavy. Next time I will use CF as well. That thing should fly good!
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:42 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by modfly View Post
That must be a very small lipo.
A Rhino 360 is 22g and he said his battery was 23g.

My 5g powered Zero cruises around for 15 minutes + on a rhino 360
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:56 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,366 Posts
That's why I guessed a 350. I have an Electrifly 350mah that weighs around 23g.

Hey, UNGN. Any chance of you having the decal sheet from the ZERO and scanning a copy of it for me?
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:05 PM
Not enough hours in the day
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,417 Posts
Fw-190

Quote:
Looks Good Slaanesh. what is the weight? what lipo are you using?
RTF weight is 111g* which includes the FlightMax 7.4V 350mah (21g).

The battery is a bit heavy for my liking.

FlightMax also have a 7.4V 180mah (15g) which I'm going to try. Definitely will be using the smaller battery on my planned "lighter build" BF-109 - I'm aiming for less than 100g RTF weight.

* weighed it again - it's 111g not 110g. Must have gained some weight from decals, touch up paint and velcro to hold the battery in.
Slaanesh is offline Find More Posts by Slaanesh
Last edited by Slaanesh; Jul 15, 2010 at 08:25 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:57 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
well, Ok. I guess its not such a small lipo after all. I guess I'm just trying to point a finger at something to explain that flying weight. I have built 1 or 2 with that very same gear and the weight comes out ~4.3-4.5 oz. But then again, I use landing gear so thats probably where that extra weight is coming from.
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:59 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppi View Post
Hey, UNGN. Any chance of you having the decal sheet from the ZERO and scanning a copy of it for me?
here's a scan of the Zero decals.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:03 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaanesh View Post
RTF weight is 110g which includes the FlightMax 7.4V 350mah (21g).

The battery is a bit heavy for my liking.

FlightMax also have a 7.4V 180mah (15g) which I'm going to try. Definitely will be using the smaller battery on my planned "lighter build" BF-109 - I'm aiming for less than 100g RTF weight.
I bought a 2s 240 Hyperion for another plane that weighs 16.8g, but I'd have to sand all the paint off the rear of gravity Warbird to get it to balance.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 01:41 AM
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
I bought a 2s 240 Hyperion for another plane that weighs 16.8g, but I'd have to sand all the paint off the rear of gravity Warbird to get it to balance.
My FW-190 balances dead on COG without any ballast. I made sure of this by planning carefully where everything went as I was building. In an initial balance test I taped everything together including internal equipment to make sure that it would balance okay.

For example the elevator servo is behind the COG at around the trailing edge of the wing. It could easily fit near the leading edge of the wing instead if I chose to lighten the front.

I found a local dealer that has the Hyperion 240mah battery. I'll use this instead of the 180mah in the BF-109, thanks for the info.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 02:26 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaanesh View Post
My FW-190 balances dead on COG without any ballast. I made sure of this by planning carefully where everything went as I was building. In an initial balance test I taped everything together including internal equipment to make sure that it would balance okay.

For example the elevator servo is behind the COG at around the trailing edge of the wing. It could easily fit near the leading edge of the wing instead if I chose to lighten the front.

I found a local dealer that has the Hyperion 240mah battery. I'll use this instead of the 180mah in the BF-109, thanks for the info.
When I balanced my FW-190 exactly at COG it was a bit tailheavy on the slow flight.. I balanced it just .3mm ahead of COG and it flies great.. even at low speeds.. I don't know why that happens to you ..
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Jul 15, 2010, 09:21 AM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,366 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, UNGN. You truly are a man among men.
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:17 AM
Beaumont, TX
Joined Feb 2007
1,331 Posts
Quote:
That's not exactly super complex, is it?
Pete Miller is online now Find More Posts by Pete Miller
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:48 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Miller View Post
That's not exactly super complex, is it?
No. It would have been if I had cleaned up all of the imperfections in the decals and removed the blue background, but from 5 feet away, they are fine.

I usually redraw over scans in MS Paint to make them crisper and have clean lines.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 06:03 PM
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,417 Posts
I re-weighed my FW-190 last night, it's actually 111g - must have gained 1g during the finishing off process or something. It's still just below 4oz which is great.
The MicroSol arrived and I applied that. You are actually supposed to apply this during the decal process - so I did a little oopsy there. I applied some MicroSol afterwards and it's still fairly effective. Those decals look real nice. If you look closely at my previous photo of the FW-190 you will notice some inconsistent finish of the transparent sections of the topside wing decals - that's all gone now thanks to the MicroSol. See, I told you I was fussy. I'm even thinking of sanding down some of the seams on the fuselage halves but I I'll reserve these finer details and finishing to the BF-109.

I did manage to maiden another model (PZ FW-190 w/ brushless) this morning but I ran out of time for my Cox FW-190.

Yes I was building/converting 2x FW-190s at the same time! I like having two projects going so that if I am waiting for something to dry on one project I can work on the other.

Quote:
well, Ok. I guess its not such a small lipo after all. I guess I'm just trying to point a finger at something to explain that flying weight. I have built 1 or 2 with that very same gear and the weight comes out ~4.3-4.5 oz. But then again, I use landing gear so thats probably where that extra weight is coming from.
It's probably the landing gear. I land on soft grass and hand launch so no landing gear is preferable for me in terms of weight reduction and scale flying looks.
First thing I did with my PZ UM P-51 was remove all the landing gear and the plastic retainers. Saves about 2g which is significant on a 33g model and allows me to use fat and heavier 180mah batteries for no net penalty.
Last edited by Slaanesh; Jul 15, 2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 05:16 PM
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Sep 2007
191 Posts
I am building my second FW-190 about six months after my first. I will be going with AET control and the HK 10g motor.

Slaanesh, your FW 190 looks great. I have a few questions for you
- How are your ailerons and elevators hinged?
- Do you have any pictures of how you cut your hatch?
- What size nylon screw are you using, I am thinking of just copying your attachment setup

Hopefully I can achieve CG without a lot of extra ballast with a 3S 360 mAh Lipo. Last time I had to jam in a 610 mAh, AUW was around 145 g.
Fisticuffs! is offline Find More Posts by Fisticuffs!
Last edited by Fisticuffs!; Jul 16, 2010 at 06:54 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 05:33 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
3s with the 10g motor?? is that ok? I mean this will help me to do rudder and a 4 channel on my P51 and not worry about the thrust.. but I suppose it will loose it's slow flight characteristic isn't it?"
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon