HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2012, 04:13 PM
Hemet, CA
Joined Sep 2002
349 Posts
Greetings,
I have just upgraded my two EVO 9s to V3.41 and my XPS receiver and transmitter with Updater 3.0. I can now bind the transmitter and receiver but I am not getting any telemetry data displayed. I expected to see signal strength and receiver battery voltage. If I press the button on the transmitter module it displays RANGE! but no signal strength. I also don't know how to get the display of "BINDING" that is shown in post 72 of http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1114898&page=5 .

I have posted several times on the last page (228) of this link:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post20515310

What am I missing?
Thanks,
Art
Art Horne is offline Find More Posts by Art Horne
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:55 PM
Born to Live - Live to Fly !
Southern California
Joined Jul 2009
526 Posts
Hey Art,

It seems like you've made the trip if the "Range" button is working.

At least on my 12, to enter "Range" you hold down the Lower Left-Most Button (STU7) while powering up. To Enter "Binding" you hold down the button just on top of it (ABC1) with the little wrench over it while powering up.

To make the LQI and Rx Voltage show up you use the XDP on an 8 or 10 channel XPS Receiver (push down the little button inside the hole while powering the Rx up) and click the Telemetry button on the lower right after selecting the device. For output to: select Tx/Pc and for an update rate: select 10. Then be sure to update the EPROM before you exit.

Good Luck!
stevekott is offline Find More Posts by stevekott
Old Jan 24, 2012, 02:32 PM
Hemet, CA
Joined Sep 2002
349 Posts
Hooray!!! At last, it all works. Thanks, Steve. Your input did it for me. Where did you get the info on how to make the Range, and Binding button combo work? I've never seen anything published on that. How do you use the "Binding" function now? Do you put the receiver in binding mode first, then turn on the transmitter while holding the wrench button down?

Another question. When I go into RANGE mode and start walking away I get a series of beeps. Is that a range warning? What is an acceptable signal strength value and at what distance? I would think all this would be published at XPS but I can't find it.

Thanks again for all your help!

Art
Old Jan 24, 2012, 03:57 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,508 Posts
This information is in the M-Link manual. M-Link is Multiplex's 2.4GHz system (available only in Europe). We emulate their module system with our system, but all of the functions are EVO based. So, you need the EVO manual for the v3.41 upgrade.

The beeps are to let you know that you are in range test mode. You should get at least 100 feet of range while in range test mode.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2012, 06:52 PM
Southern California
Joined Jul 2009
526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Horne View Post
Hooray!!! At last, it all works. Thanks, Steve. Your input did it for me. Where did you get the info on how to make the Range, and Binding button combo work? I've never seen anything published on that. How do you use the "Binding" function now? Do you put the receiver in binding mode first, then turn on the transmitter while holding the wrench button down?

Another question. When I go into RANGE mode and start walking away I get a series of beeps. Is that a range warning? What is an acceptable signal strength value and at what distance? I would think all this would be published at XPS but I can't find it.

Thanks again for all your help!

Art
AWESOME ART!, Thanks Jim,

For me it seems like the Radio loses it's link when the LQI is about 30%, I don't think there is an alarm for it although it would be nice to have one. That would give you a chance to re-orient your antenna if you were getting out of range.

Another nice feature would be to allow an adjustable alarm for Rx pack voltage. That would be nice when using something other than ni-cads or ni-mh batteries.

I read so many things from so many different searches and sources I can't exactly tell you where I found that info.

Now your next fun thing to do is to read the manuals to bind a "slave" to your master receiver to see that your now have a 16 Channel Radio!

The two Rx's don't even need to be physically connected to each other (they both need power). That can really save on wires, connectors and Y's. On my A-10, I stuck a Nano in the wing and went from having a connector with 12 wires to one having just two. And I still have my 8 channel (master) in the fuselage giving the LQI and Rx Voltage.

Steve
Old Jan 24, 2012, 07:28 PM
Hemet, CA
Joined Sep 2002
349 Posts
Hi Steve,
I built a P-82 Twin Mustang with two nano receivers. I had one battery, one ESC, one rudder servo, one gear retract servo, one flap servo, one aileron servo, and one rcvr in each side plus one had an elevator servo. I think that makes 11 channels on my EVO-9. I had no problem doing that about 6 months ago. It was very reliable and I had no problems with it. I have recently finished a scratch built big twin of my own design that I haven't flown yet that might benefit from your idea of having a receiver in the wing. This thing has 10 servos and the wiring is a real challenge! There are 6 servos in the wing and maybe I can put in a nano and reduce that wiring mess. I've attached a picture of the twin. I designed it in Autocad.

When you say you lose control when LQI is around 30% is that in "Range" mode or normal?

Jim,

Is there an LQI value in the "Range" mode that indicates safe operation? If I still have to go at least 100' away to see if I lose control what good does it do to have the range mode signal strength? I can see a benefit to see the signal strength when flying to warn of going out of range. Especially if there is a LQI value that says "about to go out of range".

I did a quick test today where I left the receiver in my shop and switched to "RANGE" mode and then started walking outside. I stopped when the LQI reading was around 30% but I couldn't tell if I still had control. I then switched the transmitter off and then on in normal mode and the signal then read LQI =70%. I really don't know what that tells me. Do you?

Thanks for the info on the manual. I'll see if I can find one in English on their website. Is there any sensors, etc, available now that I can use to see the Main Power source in my plane with my EVO-9 and XPS system? I'm on your list for the XPS-16 availability notice.

Thanks,
Art
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:22 PM
Southern California
Joined Jul 2009
526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Horne View Post
Hi Steve,

When you say you lose control when LQI is around 30% is that in "Range" mode or normal?

Is there an LQI value in the "Range" mode that indicates safe operation? If I still have to go at least 100' away to see if I lose control what good does it do to have the range mode signal strength? I can see a benefit to see the signal strength when flying to warn of going out of range. Especially if there is a LQI value that says "about to go out of range".

I did a quick test today where .. I really don't know what that tells me. Do you?

Art
Art,

All the range mode does is GREATLY reduce the Tx output power. If while in Range mode you watch the control surfaces on the plane there will be a point on the LQI display where they quit moving (around 30%).

While flying, as long as you are showing an LQI above that number you will have control, just like in the range test. It's like a Relative Signal Strength Indicator (RSSI). But you really can't look at it easily while flying (audible alarm would be nice) have a buddy watch it. He can read out the numbers and if they ever get below 45%, decrease the range, re-orient your antenna or land.

Very Curious -- You converted a couple of 9 channel Evo Tx's right? Do you also have 16 channels available to you when you slave another receiver?

Steve
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:47 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,508 Posts
The LQI number is an inverse of the signal strength in dB, -20dB. It's not a very accurate conversion... something I should change at some point.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2012, 07:08 PM
Hemet, CA
Joined Sep 2002
349 Posts
Hi Steve,

Yes, I did convert two Evo 9's. In my display of "MONITOR" where I can see the outputs of all the channels I still only show nine. I think I only have 9 sources of signals at a time. I had 12 channels of control with only 9 sources. Obviously I had the same source for both receivers in some cases (flaps, rudder,Gear, etc.)

Art
Old Jan 25, 2012, 07:11 PM
Hemet, CA
Joined Sep 2002
349 Posts
Hi JIm,

Is there any sensors, etc, available now that I can use to see the Main Power source in my plane with my EVO-9 and XPS system? I'm on your list for the XPS-16 availability notice.

Thaks,
Art
Old Jan 26, 2012, 08:28 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,508 Posts
Not currently. However, we are in production of a virtual sensor that allows any of the Hitec or Eagletree sensors to be used with our radio system.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2012, 01:07 PM
Hemet, CA
Joined Sep 2002
349 Posts
Jim,
What is the virtual sensor called and where can I get it? What Eagle-tree units would I need with it?
Art
Last edited by Art Horne; Jan 26, 2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 05:19 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,508 Posts
The virtual sensor does not exist to purchase yet. It is something that we have in-house as a product that we will release. You can use any of the Eagletree sensors with it. So, you could choose whatever you like.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2012, 03:11 PM
I'm slow but I'm expensive
United States, GA, Snellville
Joined Nov 2003
566 Posts
Jim,
Is there any danger of the EVO module going out of production soon? I want together one if I ever find a job.
Thanks,
Ken
Ken Lilja is offline Find More Posts by Ken Lilja
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 07, 2012, 11:24 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,508 Posts
I think we have about 200 left in inventory. We sold thousands of them. Hitec at one point told me they sold about 4,000 EVOs in the U.S. If that is true, we are controlling over half of them. We can always produce more of the boards if we did run out.
RCG Plus Member