HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2015, 05:11 PM
United States, WA, Longview
Joined Sep 2012
52 Posts
Discussion
Why we dont have a Simulator for boats?????

I'm sitting at my computer reading about the (builds and so on) in the R/C groups and I recently got off my Realflight 7.0 simulator a short time ago and I had a cool thought. Would it not be great if we had a simulator program like Airplane boys for our boats? If anyone has ever used the Realflight sim, will not undoubtedly say it's the best out there right know, that is affordable. I think it's past time we had one for boats, I don't mean just plane sailboats but all kinds of boats, from sailing sloops to schooners of all sizes, cats. trihulls, square riggers, brigs and a host of powerboats like drag hydros, unlimiteds, speedboats, like Garwoods and ChrisCrafts, ocean going tankers and frieghters and what ever, with all matters of dificulty like ruff seas or currents, storms, or a nice placid day on a calm lake. Obstacle coarses like the jetboats on the Colarado river and so on. As you progress you would be able to add more difficulty when you get used to sailing or motoring. It could darn near be limitless in it's programming offering much like the Realflight . I know there are a few little sites that offer some simulators that you use the computer keyboard but I find them lacking in realism and not much fun. I would like it to be like my Realflight and come with transmitter that you can bine with a receiver and use it with you boat, staight from the computer. I don't know what your feelings are about somthing like this but I for one would park my butt down and run the Americas Cup race in S.F. aboard a Cat, with Foils. This was just a brain fart I had, I'm sure the other groups of Powerboats and Racingsail would really get off on this, If we only could find one. Call it Realboating 8.0
skibo is offline Find More Posts by skibo
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2015, 06:09 PM
Joined Oct 2014
10 Posts
Virtual Skipper pretty well covers all of the sailing side of things. There is a large number of designs covered from 18' skiffs to gaff rigged schooners. It has several real world areas designed for racing. You can race in real time against people all over the world or sit back and practice by yourself. You can even design your own landscapes complete with currents, wind shifts etc. Sail changes are required to make the best of the current wind conditions and most of the craft have a spinnaker.
Terry Smith is offline Find More Posts by Terry Smith
Old Mar 25, 2015, 09:18 PM
United States, WA, Longview
Joined Sep 2012
52 Posts
Terry, do you still have to use the key board, is this one that is down loadable on the web? I did try one a couple years ago but I dont remember the name.
skibo is offline Find More Posts by skibo
Old Mar 27, 2015, 05:58 AM
Joined Oct 2014
10 Posts
Virtual Skipper has a number of options to drive it. It comes primarily to be driven from the keyboard, but it is very easily re-configured. Quite a few people use game pads.

I was running it for a while on a set of Logitech G940 flight simulator controls. It is a different sensation sailing while steering with your feet.

Yes it is downloadable from the net.
Terry Smith is offline Find More Posts by Terry Smith