HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:32 AM
AMA#313760
United States, MI, Taylor
Joined May 2009
771 Posts
Olive Drab is a mother, ROFL

They paint with what's at hand, that simple. and no two painters seem to mix a batch of it the same.

John
JLogan is offline Find More Posts by JLogan
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2015, 08:08 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,569 Posts
Hi John:

It is one of those colours that seems to defy any standardization. I have decided not to go down this path. I have talked to a few more people that have said that unless the helicopter is not available in colour, don't bother as it is more trouble than it is worth. On another note, I just finished at the Cajun Heli Fest and with my backup 500MD TD, I took first place in the "B" class, which are helicopters under 700mm blade length. The contest was run by none other than Len Mount, one of the premier scale builders in the world. What a gentleman and his travelling friend, Mike, is just as nice. The get-together, run by Eric Babineaux, is one of the most enjoyable helicopter events I have been to. It's well worth the drive and you are sure to have a great time. The deals on stuff for sale there are really good.

About the use of my backup after all the time building my new CH-139. I flew it for the first time and in the excitement of getting it up in the air and this being the first flight in months, I forgot to hit the idle up switch. When I came in for a high angle approach landing, the motor cut off as I was well below mid-stick and the ESC drops right off and will not spool up fast because of the setup. Well, the landing gear were bent flat to the ground and a few bits and bobs were broken off along with a striped main gear. No spares were available even thought I found part for the tail, provided by Mikado, USA at no charge as they were possibly used. I managed to get the gear pretty much in shape but they will not be perfect until I get home and get them in a vice to steady them for re-bending. I am only upset at myself as the helicopter flew perfectly with the new tail rotor. A few hours work and it is right back in shape as not a single crack or break in the glass happened. Got to run now, take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Mar 29, 2015, 12:10 AM
Burning & Turning
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2007
1,016 Posts
Don

I'm glad you enjoyed the Cajun Helifest.. Your very lucky to be able to attend! Congratulations on taking first place with your MD.
It's a shame to hear what happened to your Bell after all your hard work, but happy to hear it's minimal damage and will be back burning and turning soon.

I always start in Idle up and never use normal other than to arm the system ready to Switch up to idle up... Help prevents traps that we all found ourselves in from time to time.

All the best
justy g is offline Find More Posts by justy g
Last edited by justy g; Mar 29, 2015 at 02:04 AM.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:12 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Sep 2013
393 Posts
Nooooo - you crashed that beauty even before we ever had a chance to see a video...
getsuyoubi is offline Find More Posts by getsuyoubi
Old Mar 29, 2015, 01:41 PM
AMA#313760
United States, MI, Taylor
Joined May 2009
771 Posts
Don,

Sorry to hear of the crash, but like you said it's not that bad. So that's also good new at the same time, if there is such a thing. Hope to hear you got her all fixed and flying again,

John
JLogan is offline Find More Posts by JLogan
Old Yesterday, 11:53 AM
Joined Apr 2009
183 Posts
Don, So sorry to hear about your mishap with your Jet Ranger masterpiece. I am glad to hear that the only damage of consequence was the landing gear. I am sure it will be back in the air in short order once too get it back home.

Congrats on your first place win with the MD-500. Well deserved for sure.
GyroMan is offline Find More Posts by GyroMan