Dad_Roman is online now Find More Posts by Dad_Roman
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2015, 11:53 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,925 Posts
+1 more.

:-)

Feefo, I started flying again after much much longer.
Did not install any co-pilot on purpose.
The Stryker's maiden flight took 3 minor crashes during the first pack. Had lots of fun during the 2nd pack with everything dialed in more. Running the 16/50 at 1/4 power. I can add (4) more cells and bump up the AMPs too.
For now given the small fields, I'm happy with 110MPH range with 8X9 and 8X10 Sport. Will bump it up to past 3000W on 7" prop as soon as I have a better flying field.
Instead of my multiple FMA co-pilot units, I'm considering Eagle Tree's 2D/3D Guardian Flight stablization $75.
My brother has a few of them and loves it.

http://www.eagletreesystems.com/inde...&product_id=50

I don't consider it due to flying skills, but look at it as protecting my investment.

For now, I need to refresh myself on the dive test to optomize the CG.

Ray
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Mar 22, 2015, 05:08 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,763 Posts
Cheers guys.

The setup is definitely better on 6s, feels like it's come alive now, I can't wait to up the pitch.

Glad it went well for you Gryph, cool to see you post about flying and not just helping everyone else out with motor selections.
feefo is offline Find More Posts by feefo
Old Mar 22, 2015, 06:20 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,925 Posts
Now that I'm back in California and live close to my best friend, flying is way more fun than doing it alone.
When I did the maiden using the 16/50 at partial power, it was really to match his 16/25 which was not maxed.
......that night he changed to a very healthy sized 22/X at trippled his old power.
So I have options. Run my other/better 16/50 at full power (to match him if he maxes his 22/X) or drop in the 16/70 and blow away his 22/X.
Options.....options.
I knew flying with him would get our setups out of control, but didn't think it would be at such big steps....and so quickly. He Trippled his power....really???
He will crash before I do, even though he is a better pilot. Thanks to the E.T Guardian unit.

I don't mind my internet friends flying faster than me, but no way will let my best friend outdo me right in front of me.
Let the mayham begin!!!!!

Gryph
Last edited by GryphonRCU; Mar 22, 2015 at 06:41 AM.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 07:00 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,763 Posts
I'd love to see some video of you trying to out do each other
feefo is offline Find More Posts by feefo
Old Mar 22, 2015, 08:56 AM
United States, MI, Commerce Charter Township
Joined Oct 2013
2,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU View Post
Now that I'm back in California and live close to my best friend, flying is way more fun than doing it alone.
When I did the maiden using the 16/50 at partial power, it was really to match his 16/25 which was not maxed.
......that night he changed to a very healthy sized 22/X at trippled his old power.
So I have options. Run my other/better 16/50 at full power (to match him if he maxes his 22/X) or drop in the 16/70 and blow away his 22/X.
Options.....options.
I knew flying with him would get our setups out of control, but didn't think it would be at such big steps....and so quickly. He Trippled his power....really???
He will crash before I do, even though he is a better pilot. Thanks to the E.T Guardian unit.

I don't mind my internet friends flying faster than me, but no way will let my best friend outdo me right in front of me.

Gryph
Sweet Ray, I no what you mean. My brother and I kinda have a silent competition. I never let him out due me.. Hehe eh. Wait I thought I was your best friend... Well I'll take second place..

Happy landing... Video? Video?
Jezzejamez is online now Find More Posts by Jezzejamez
Old Mar 22, 2015, 10:20 AM
Alberta,Canada
Joined Nov 2009
2,520 Posts
Good to hear you're getting some flight time my friend,which 16/50/XX did you choose to run? What cell count??

Glad to hear you're having some fun!!
rimripper is offline Find More Posts by rimripper
Old Mar 22, 2015, 04:38 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,925 Posts
Hi Rim,

Same motor as on your FJU, but just 3S. (Max in Stryker is 7S, vs 8S for FJU due to prop size requirements)
I needed to keep the RPM down since flying in local schools etc.
So instead of a normal size motor, I used a mountain motor at lower RPM and made up the power by running extra large prop.....unfortunately, distance between the fins limits me to 8" prop and can not max the motor or battery or ESC on just 3S. However I also did not want to fly faster than my buddy. Power was set at same level as his.
He is the one that wants to outdo me. I want us to be even since friends for decades. Vertical climbs of my 8" compared to his pylon prop likely pissed him off even though we had the same top speed that day.

***Anyway, enough of this on FJU thread.
Give me a call bud.

Regarding a video: Maybe at some point in future.
Since 16/70 testing is not complete, I'll likely stick with one of my 16/50 motors for now. 3 friends will test the /70 besides me. 2 of them will hopefully bolt it on a Stryker (180 mph?) and a FJU (190-195mph?) on same cell count.

G.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 06:35 PM
Alberta,Canada
Joined Nov 2009
2,520 Posts
Damn.....way under powered!!!!!

Quick increase in cell count....from mild to wild...in one quick swap....I like it,the vertical must have been just awesome!!!!

Will try tonight after the chaos slows down.

I was gonna fly this weekend since we've had a unbelivible mild winter and the snow was pretty much melted except for snow banks.....then in a matter of 30 hrs......18" of the white stuff again......blah
rimripper is offline Find More Posts by rimripper
Old Mar 23, 2015, 08:45 AM
United States, PA, Center Valley
Joined Dec 2008
419 Posts
All this talk of flying, new builds and big motors is making me salivate.
I'm preparing for a new build ...... and what does my wife do? Goes to the local farm and buys 2 baby goats! Now I have to build a barn and fence!
Oh well, at least she's happy. That should allow me to go full steam with RC once I'm finished. It's 25*F this morning and I'm outside working on the barn... gotta get this done.
Nice weather is around the corner.

P.S. Nice build Oly. Congrats on new maiden Feefo. Gryphon... welcome back!
brolley is online now Find More Posts by brolley
Old Mar 23, 2015, 11:18 AM
crashing build's character.
United States, AL, Dora
Joined Mar 2008
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brolley View Post
All this talk of flying, new builds and big motors is making me salivate.
I'm preparing for a new build ...... and what does my wife do? Goes to the local farm and buys 2 baby goats! Now I have to build a barn and fence!
Oh well, at least she's happy. That should allow me to go full steam with RC once I'm finished. It's 25*F this morning and I'm outside working on the barn... gotta get this done.
Nice weather is around the corner.

P.S. Nice build Oly. Congrats on new maiden Feefo. Gryphon... welcome back!
Happy wife happy life...
onefastxp is offline Find More Posts by onefastxp
Old Mar 24, 2015, 07:40 PM
United States, PA, Center Valley
Joined Dec 2008
419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastxp View Post
Happy wife happy life...
You got that right! Funny thing is, I was at a RC flea market when she got the goats. I got home and she said... Honey, did you get something nice? ( something's strange right there). I said yup! She said good because I have a surprise. 2 baby goats a goat gazebo and lots of work for me.

She felt bad when I told her all I bought was a 1$ prop.
brolley is online now Find More Posts by brolley
Old Mar 29, 2015, 06:13 AM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
5,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU View Post
Options.....options.

Gryph
Congrats on the maiden !
I am slightly disappointed in that I didnt see any video of it yet !!
I counted 9 fuses in the barn last time I looked, might have to build one of them just so you wont be able to say that you are flying a Stryker and I aint !!

I do have a few FJ/FJU's that tear up the sky !!
Be well my bro !!
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Yesterday, 06:45 AM
Rogersville, Mo
Joined Jun 2008
4,558 Posts
Nice video feefo.......Landin was sweet!!!...

Go Git'em Gryph!......haha..bet your have'in a lot of Fun.....

Brolley..my next door neighbor raises Sheep ...the kids was chasin 4 babies up and down the fence yesterday....Babies are just so cool lookin.....

Billy
FlyBillyFly is offline Find More Posts by FlyBillyFly