HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 11:53 PM
Joined Apr 2014
289 Posts
Discussion
Plane for photography and flying in small areas

I'm not sure if this is possible but I'm after an rc plane that has the following criteria -

Good as a camera platform (nice and stable)
Can be flown in small areas like a park or oval
Is good for a beginner

I know that larger planes are better for photography. However, are there any that are suitable for flying in a small area? I had the impression that only small planes could be flown in confined areas. I guess this eliminates planes with SAFE technology since they generally require a large turning radius? That's a pity because SAFE could come in handy for a beginner like me. I want something forgivable and slow flying and also repairable after the odd crash.

I currently have a Delta Ray which I have flown once so far on a farm. That flight didn't end so well. The plane got away from me and vanished out of sight and was lost for three days. Ive since moved locations and the only place around here that would be sort of okayish for flying a large plane like a Delta Ray is a little confined and has a hazard - a cliff with the ocean below. As I'm a beginner, I think there's a chance that the plane could end up in the sea due to a rookie mistake. I'm not definite but I'm considering selling the Delta Ray and buying a plane more suitable for flying in a smaller area like an oval etc.

I wish I could keep the Delta Ray - it looks like it would be so much fun. But the place where I would be flying it would be anything but forgivable. A cliff with the ocean on one side and a valley with heaps of trees on the other. It might be fine for a more experienced pilot but with my lack of experience, I could lose my plane.
dragonblade is offline Find More Posts by dragonblade
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 12:57 AM
United States, LA, Kenner
Joined Sep 2014
914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonblade View Post
I'm not sure if this is possible but I'm after an rc plane that has the following criteria -

Good as a camera platform (nice and stable)
Can be flown in small areas like a park or oval
Is good for a beginner

I know that larger planes are better for photography. However, are there any that are suitable for flying in a small area? I had the impression that only small planes could be flown in confined areas. I guess this eliminates planes with SAFE technology since they generally require a large turning radius? That's a pity because SAFE could come in handy for a beginner like me. I want something forgivable and slow flying and also repairable after the odd crash.

I currently have a Delta Ray which I have flown once so far on a farm. That flight didn't end so well. The plane got away from me and vanished out of sight and was lost for three days. Ive since moved locations and the only place around here that would be sort of okayish for flying a large plane like a Delta Ray is a little confined and has a hazard - a cliff with the ocean below. As I'm a beginner, I think there's a chance that the plane could end up in the sea due to a rookie mistake. I'm not definite but I'm considering selling the Delta Ray and buying a plane more suitable for flying in a smaller area like an oval etc.

I wish I could keep the Delta Ray - it looks like it would be so much fun. But the place where I would be flying it would be anything but forgivable. A cliff with the ocean on one side and a valley with heaps of trees on the other. It might be fine for a more experienced pilot but with my lack of experience, I could lose my plane.
You might want to hold onto the DR as it will more than likely end up being the next plane in your progression and you might not get enough cash to make it worth it. Of course, just my op in regards to that.

I'm not sure about a camera platform for in regards to slow smallish planes. I can recommend the UMX Radian as a fantastic little trainer. It's the only plane I've flown over 30 times and never had a crash. It has enough power to almost go vertical for a few seconds to be able to climb to altitude quick. It's powerfull(for size) not fast. A very forgiving, docile, relaxing plane to fly.

The Duet. It's kinda in a small way an offspring of the Delta Ray/Firebird Stratous in that it's a twin motor counter rotating props. It does not have a rudder so turning is done by the motors or a yank and bank. This plane was my first right before my Delta Rat.

Then you have the Cub, which I've never owned so I can't really speak to its flight char but people who've had them SWARE by them.

Another option you have for a camera platform is multirotors. Very easy to fly, no need to be constantly flying forward, can get amazing footage.
Rain1dog is online now Find More Posts by Rain1dog
Old Today, 01:37 AM
Joined Apr 2014
289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain1dog View Post
I'm not sure about a camera platform for in regards to slow smallish planes. I can recommend the UMX Radian as a fantastic little trainer.
Ive heard the Radian is very popular. Being a glider, I assume it would be quite stable for photography. Though can it be flown in small areas?

Quote:
The Duet.
I'm sure that this would be great for flying in a small area. Though Ive heard from another individual that it's small size would probably make it less stable for photography. Would you agree with this?

Quote:
Another option you have for a camera platform is multirotors. Very easy to fly, no need to be constantly flying forward, can get amazing footage.
I think Ive almost given up on quadcopters lol. Ive had a number of Syma X1 copters and most of them have flown away out of sight and never come back. They are fun but also frustrating. Just when you think you've had enough practise on them to attach a camera, they catch you off guard and fly away. Sure, there are more expensive models with gps etc but Ive heard that these sophisticated systems can fail on occasion. That's why I'm focusing more on planes at the moment to see if I have better luck with them.
dragonblade is offline Find More Posts by dragonblade
Last edited by dragonblade; Today at 01:49 AM.
Old Today, 03:02 AM
Getting a Little Better
Joined Nov 2014
188 Posts
I used to have a Sport Cub S that I used to fly around my neighborhood with a camera attached to the top and I was using a 180 battery. My camera was a 808 #16 and worked great initially but the motor eventually burned up. I think that camera was a little to heavy.

Although the UMX Radian is easy to fly and the first plane I actually had some success on I am not sure about the quality. I have had two of them and there are small pins that hold the propellers on and both times the pins have come out and the propellers have come off.
jobinseattle is online now Find More Posts by jobinseattle
Last edited by jobinseattle; Today at 06:07 AM.
Old Today, 05:59 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
14,388 Posts
Check for any regulations, laws, regarding flying anywhere near people, buildings, roads etc etc. The FAA is introducing regulations, also the AMA has rules and recommendations concerning safety.

If you want to do aerial photography, check out the -- Aerial Photography forum --
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Today, 06:30 AM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Apr 2013
1,002 Posts
Many have mounted a 808 camera on the champ. I h.ave one for my champ the plane can carry it. The sport cub s has a little more power
papadwight is online now Find More Posts by papadwight
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 07:29 AM
Look out below
United States, OR, McMinnville
Joined Aug 2011
1,623 Posts
Learn to fly first. Get some help, there are rcg members that would help you even in oz.
mcnowhere is online now Find More Posts by mcnowhere