HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 09, 2014, 04:18 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,148 Posts
Discussion
Sea Can workshop

I bought a 40ft 9.6ft High Cube Sea Can to transform into a work shop.

For the price ,its worth it while I save for my ultimate work shop. The one I bought is still intermodal and transport worthy , so theres no damage and the floor isn't rotted out. a little more money , but if things don't work out ,its paid for ..and easily transported somewhere else if I have to sell it.
I see it as a piece of real estate I can sell anywhere in the world......kinda

Anybody else got a Sea Can workshop?

Love to see pic's.

The biggest reason for this is its instant space, no contractors or permits, just unload it ,block and level it ,open the door and move in.
Easy to secure, takes 4 locks.
Right next to my home service, so getting power isn't a huge deal.

Im getting to the point on my current build to begin considering fiber glassing.

Wives and polyester resin fumes don't mix, Im certain I would get an easier sentence for drunk driving, atleast in prison I'd get 3 meals . ,and the door locks behind me...not infront of me

So if your workshop,has been all over the world, and when your finished with it ,it can travel further again. I'd like to see it.
more coffee is offline Find More Posts by more coffee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hi!
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2014, 04:29 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by more coffee View Post
Anybody else got a Sea Can workshop?

it is amazing what people are doing with containers, architecturally these days. No reason to not consider making it a more long term proposition. unless the wife and neighbors decide they don't like the looks of it in your side yard.

She might like it better than polyester fumes... (last time I used polyester resin any in quantity, I was sure I was going to wind up in divorce court )
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Apr 09, 2014, 04:38 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,272 Posts
Pictures!
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Apr 09, 2014, 04:38 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded View Post
it is amazing what people are doing with containers, architecturally these days. No reason to not consider making it a more long term proposition. unless the wife and neighbors decide they don't like the looks of it in your side yard.

She might like it better than polyester fumes... (last time I used polyester resin any in quantity, I was sure I was going to wind up in divorce court )
My first experience with sea cans ,we lifted 8 into position, guy welded ,and cut holes in them.

A few months later we went back ,this was a fully operational dockside maitainence shop , and we lifted a bunch of high cube 53footers in place to make a tractor trailer high bay and parts storage area.
When done , and it was painted up by the dock painters. This was a million dollar installation , complete with handicap accessible ,air conditioned office space.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 09, 2014, 04:39 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350 View Post
Pictures!

The Can wont be here until Saturday..
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 09, 2014, 05:51 PM
United States, OH, Richfield
Joined Aug 2007
1,205 Posts
Should be a great project setting it up the way you want. You know we are expecting a full ILLUSTRATED thread.
pops52 is offline Find More Posts by pops52
Old Apr 09, 2014, 06:31 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,272 Posts
I'd want to cut windows in it, lots of windows... besides space itself, I'm the most envious of shops with lots of nice windows...
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Apr 09, 2014, 07:01 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,690 Posts
Quote:
I'd want to cut windows in it, lots of windows... besides space itself, I'm the most envious of shops with lots of nice windows...
Me too.
Old Apr 09, 2014, 07:32 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,061 Posts
On the move...
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Apr 09, 2014, 07:42 PM
United States, MA, Lowell
Joined Dec 2008
536 Posts
Sydney Mines? Don`t you have to order 2 beers at a time up there or is that just a rumor ?
Great idea on using a can for a work shop, how are you going to heat it in the winter?
Homeport is offline Find More Posts by Homeport
Old Apr 09, 2014, 07:53 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,148 Posts
Quote:
Windows would be nice.

Not hard to put in either ,torch ,grinder, 3in angle iron ,welder ,and insulating foam

While windows are nice , for now , I have to move a bunch of snow,
I need 72ft of 6x6
72ft of 2x6
30ft of 1x6

these are rough lumber dimensions, not your hard ware store dimension's
.most likely it will be pine/spruce/ juniper. I'll have to treat it
Keeping the Can 2ft of the ground means the bottom stays dry.
after a bit the vegetation dies,and only has to be trimmed around the edges with a weed wacker. Shove some crushed stone in as time goes on

Then I need 30ft #8 Tec Cable
50amp breaker, need my welder hooked up, to put shelves in and such.makes wiring easier ,because I can just weld 1/4 bolts ,head on the surface ,to route/mount wiring and light fixtures , without drilling hole's through the Can
electrical,this that and everything that goes with it ,
lights , need at least 2-20amp ,2---15amp ,and
one 40amp(220v)
The 40amp would also serve for an aircompressor or anything else that would become available, like a larger lathe ,or milling machine,40amp--220v allows for options when equipment requirements are concerned . just as well get it in now

Flouresent lights ,with ultra daylight tubes. easier on the Eyes
they run
6000 K and have a CRI of 90 , just better all the way around,

would be nice to score a machinery shipping crate made from Cyprus wood. I cant tell you how many miles of that Ive seen tossed in a landfill.
Now I would like to have it ,,theres not a stick of it .
Always the case.

paint booth will be in the end ,if it catches fire ..I don't want to have to run the gauntlet to get to the door.

It would be nice ,not to have to leave the house and go to the shed to sharpen a lathe or drill bit.
and
when cutting lumber , my saw's ,scroll,band and table .right there

, I want at least 1 12ft ,by 24in work bench to lay out stuff. plans can be stuck anywhere to with magnets.

In the mean time , I have to give considerations to heating.

Im planning little wood burner,
I'll insulate an area to fiberglass and paint and a small electric wall mount heater. up the wall. floor space will be at a premium.
not a big problem in the warmer months,a de-humidifier will take care of condensation, these cans do breathe ,but by their nature can be cold and damp.

and one other thing ...no silicone in the can at all..

Sounds like a lot. and it is. but its not that much when your doing something you like.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 09, 2014, 07:55 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeport View Post
Sydney Mines? Don`t you have to order 2 beers at a time up there or is that just a rumor ?
Great idea on using a can for a work shop, how are you going to heat it in the winter?
read above.

No its not two beers at a time, you can order one as long as you buy two..
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 09, 2014, 08:06 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodybob View Post
On the move...
very cool!
Old Apr 09, 2014, 08:09 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeport View Post
you say that like... it's a bad thing?

Old Apr 09, 2014, 09:07 PM
...man wants his boat
United States, MA, Woods Hole
Joined Aug 2012
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodybob View Post
On the move...
Was going to say that you can stack them but this picture says it all. Actually built an enclosure using containers to store a Navy submersible. We also used them as portable scientific labs on our research vessels. Truck to dock, one crane lift, plug in, you're in business. Another app was as sleeping quarters on board a crowded research cruise. Built to USCG specs and USCG certified was a big success.
chum444 is offline Find More Posts by chum444