HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

DJI Phantom 2 & H3-2D - Mini Review

There are a number of new flavors of Phantom coming to market, and this is one of them. All of the great features of the Phantom 2 Vision, but without the DJI camera, and the ability to add your own gimbal or the Zenmuse H3-2d gimbal using the internal Zenmuse controller.

Splash

DJI have been busy creating a few different flavors of Phantom. While I am finishing up my review of the Phantom 2 Vision, I wanted to give you all a sneak peek at the new Phantom 2. The Phantom 2 has all of the great features of the Phantom 2 Vision, such as the smart battery with long flight times, and self tightening props, and adds some additional functionality.

The Phantom 2 comes with the controller for the Zenmuse H3-2D built into it, with wires routed ready to accept the stripped down version of the H3-2D that has been made available specifically for the Phantom 2. Have your own gimbal? No problem! Bolt it onto the bottom of the Phantom 2 and you are good to go (you can only use the Zenmuse controller with the Zenmuse gimbal).

In addition, the Phantom 2 has an external CAN bus port mounted on the landing gear, making it easy to add items like the mini iOSD. Combined with a video tx/rx, the Phantom 2 will make a great FPV platform or aerial video machine. The 2.4gHz transmitter also comes with the gimbal pitch lever already installed on the back.

Check out the photos below, and click here for more info on setup.

www.dji.com

Last edited by CSpaced; Dec 11, 2013 at 08:12 PM..

Discussion

Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 11, 2013, 08:43 PM
Registered User
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Nov 2013
176 Posts
Thanks for the helpful pictures. Can't wait to receive mine.
BWells is offline Find More Posts by BWells
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 08:44 PM
Registered User
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Dec 2013
239 Posts
Thanks for the preview.
Can you take a pic of the insides with the cover open?
Is the only can-bus on the outside?
What radio rx does it use?
snowstorm is offline Find More Posts by snowstorm
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 08:46 PM
Registered User
CSpaced's Avatar
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowstorm View Post
Thanks for the preview.
Can you take a pic of the insides with the cover open?
Is the only can-bus on the outside?
What radio rx does it use?
I haven't opened it up yet, but when I do I will take some photos.

I won't be able to answer about the can bus until after I open it up.

It uses DJI's own receiver, which can switched out for your own receiver.
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 09:01 PM
Registered User
CSpaced's Avatar
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,431 Posts
Here we go, inside photos.

The only can bus is the external one, though I suppose you could remove it and install it inside the Phantom.



CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 09:17 PM
Registered User
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Dec 2013
239 Posts
Thanks for the pics, this is probably the first internal pics the web has seen of the Phantom 2.

On the bottom of the 2nd pic, we can see a CAN-BUS plug with a cable plugged in, I wonder if that is a standard female slot that a normal CAN-BUS male cable can plug into.

It is also apparent that there is an empty slot next to the CAN-BUS titled "EXP", I wonder what that is used for.

The flight controlled is called "Phantom", does anyone know if that is just a re-labeled NAZA V? or is it some thing custom for the Phantom Vision and Phantom 2?
snowstorm is offline Find More Posts by snowstorm
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 09:22 PM
Registered User
CSpaced's Avatar
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowstorm View Post
Thanks for the pics, this is probably the first internal pics the web has seen of the Phantom 2.

On the bottom of the 2nd pic, we can see a CAN-BUS plug with a cable plugged in, I wonder if that is a standard female slot that a normal CAN-BUS male cable can plug into.

It is also apparent that there is an empty slot next to the CAN-BUS titled "EXP", I wonder what that is used for.

The flight controlled is called "Phantom", does anyone know if that is just a re-labeled NAZA V? or is it some thing custom for the Phantom Vision and Phantom 2?
That socket you are referring to in the bottom of the second photo is where the GPS plugs into (mounted in the top of the Phantom).
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 09:26 PM
Registered User
Germany, HE, Darmstadt
Joined Aug 2013
394 Posts
So there is no real Can-Bus port inside the phantom for the big grey can-Bus plug the Mini iOSD uses for example i think. I mean that port says "CAN" is a bit small to fit one of those large grey canbus plugs it seems. So that means you have to use the leg canbus port or remove it and build the complete leg port inside the Phantom? I think that would be a bit nasty!
The only plug that will fit the mini iOSD is the one says EXP i guess, so maybe this will work and you can remove the canbus port mounted to the leg.

One of the most important questions is will the FW of the Phantom 2 support the mini iOSD from the very first day or after an update and where are the video out cables Signal/grnd from your gopro for your video TX? Where are the power out cables for your video TX for example. What is this big black port under Comp?

All in all it looks way more complex then the old phantom
Daninho is offline Find More Posts by Daninho
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 09:28 PM
TOP SECRET
blade strike's Avatar
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
9,303 Posts
Thanks for the great pics and information Chris!!!
blade strike is offline Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 11, 2013, 09:33 PM
Registered User
CSpaced's Avatar
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daninho View Post
So there is no real Can-Bus port inside the phantom for the big grey can-Bus plug the Mini iOSD uses for example i think. I mean that port says "CAN" is a bit small to fit one of those large grey canbus plugs it seems. So that means you have to use the leg canbus port or remove it and build the complete leg port inside the Phantom? I think that would be a bit nasty!
The only plug that will fit the mini iOSD is the one says EXP i guess, so maybe this will work and you can remove the canbus port mounted to the leg.

One of the most important questions is will the FW of the Phantom 2 support the mini iOSD from the very first day or after an update and where are the video out cables Signal/grnd from your gopro for your video TX? Where are the power out cables for your video TX for example. What is this big black port under Comp?

All in all it looks way more complex then the old phantom
The big black port is where the GPS module plugs into, the GPS is mounted in the top cover and can be unplugged when removed.

The mini iOSD uses a standard can bus plug, and must be plugged into the can bus port on the leg. I imagine it was designed this way to make it easy to add accessories without having to open up the Phantom. With a little creativity, the can bus port could be moved inside, if that is something you wish to do.

I'm guessing that the EXP port stands for expansion, and is reserved for some future use.

The video output cables are the shown in one of the above photos, running out the bottom of the Phantom with bare ends on the wires. I am in the process of wiring everything up, and will post photos when I am done.
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 09:44 PM
$#|+
mkmkmk13's Avatar
United States, CA, Orange
Joined May 2007
1,605 Posts
Can you tell if there is any difference in the "Phantom" controller vs the Naza V2
mkmkmk13 is offline Find More Posts by mkmkmk13
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 09:45 PM
Registered User
CSpaced's Avatar
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmkmk13 View Post
Can you tell if there is any difference in the "Phantom" controller vs the Naza V2
Too early to tell, it hasn't flown or been plugged into a PC yet.
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 09:46 PM
Registered User
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Nov 2013
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSpaced View Post
The big black port is where the GPS module plugs into, the GPS is mounted in the top cover and can be unplugged when removed.

The mini iOSD uses a standard can bus plug, and must be plugged into the can bus port on the leg. I imagine it was designed this way to make it easy to add accessories without having to open up the Phantom. With a little creativity, the can bus port could be moved inside, if that is something you wish to do.

I'm guessing that the EXP port stands for expansion, and is reserved for some future use.

The video output cables are the shown in one of the above photos, running out the bottom of the Phantom with bare ends on the wires. I am in the process of wiring everything up, and will post photos when I am done.
EXP - guarantee DJI has another product announcement soon that will utilize this expansion port. Ground Station, DJI FPV Package, who knows?
BWells is offline Find More Posts by BWells
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 09:48 PM
Registered User
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Dec 2013
239 Posts
Bummer, I was hoping I can just plug the iOSD mini somewhere inside nice and neat. I suppose one can rig up a custom cable.

Daninho, for the GoPro cable, can't one use one of those mini-hdmi to composite plugs like we always had and wire that to a vtx of choice? Is there a reason to need a special cable here?

Any though whether that is a stock Naza?
snowstorm is offline Find More Posts by snowstorm
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 09:55 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
8,961 Posts
Chris,

Thank you. Nice review. Still waiting on mine.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: P2 Lightbridge set up
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
News DJI Phantom Upgrade Kit for Zenmuse H3-2D Jason Cole Multirotor Talk 68 Jan 09, 2014 12:23 AM
Sold Dji naza v2+gps, fw450, skid, iosd mini, 2.4ghz bt dl, can bus hub, h3-2d + 5.8 ghz v 3DTRYER Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 0 Dec 02, 2013 11:06 AM
Discussion Dji mini osd set up with zemuse h3 2d with Dji 5.8 downlink playerpete FPV Equipment 2 Dec 01, 2013 08:55 AM
Question DJI Phantom ver 1.1-Does it need the upgraded board for DJI Zenmuse H3-2D Gimbal rpm3 Multirotor Talk 5 Nov 28, 2013 10:50 PM
Discussion DJI Phantom + Zenmuse H3-2D Contest domkane Multirotor Talk 0 Jul 11, 2013 11:35 AM